SASS Wire Forum

1895 Winchester in BAMM

Irish Pat

I have a nice 1895 Winchester.  There is no place for it in SASS because of the box magazine.  It will never out shoot bolt actions. I was wondering if possibly I might Could shoot in BAMM.  I certainly don’t expect To beat any Springfield 1903s. 1895’s were made in military models. I would enjoy shooting it at some matches. Any suggestions? I have two 1903’s so don’t tell me just to buy if of them. Irish ☘️ Pat

It's a BAMM - BOLT ACTION military-rifle match.  A local match director might let you, but in some sort of OPEN category.    Besides, BAMM is rarely shot at local matches.   The target procurement and spotting requirements make that something you don't do without some planning.

Good luck, GJ

You won't get any argument from me.  The 1895 Winchester has always been a part of the old west, but it doesn't fit into the SASS vision of how things should be.  

It was good enough for some fancy Rough Rider who ranched in the Dakotas to carry up San Juan Hill, but it's not legal enough for SASS (even in long range matches).  

Why is it disallowed?  Who knows...box magazine fed?  Not cowboy looking?  Shoots real rifle cartridges?  A 30-40 out of my rolling block isn't any more effective than a 30-40 out of the 1895.  

IMO it just boils down to someone or some group doesn't like it so it's disallowed.  Maybe Winchester should pay the mordida to get stuff authorized like Henry did.

12 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

I have a nice 1895 Winchester.  There is no place for it in SASS because of the box magazine.  It will never out shoot bolt actions. I was wondering if possibly I might Could shoot in BAMM.  I certainly don’t expect To beat any Springfield 1903s. 1895’s were made in military models. I would enjoy shooting it at some matches. Any suggestions? I have two 1903’s so don’t tell me just to buy if of them. Irish ☘️ Pat

There are five categories in long range or precision rifle competition, plus one optional category:

- Lever action, revolver caliber.

- Lever action, rifle caliber.

- Single Shot.

- Buffalo Single Shot.

- Optical.

- Open Category (may be used at the match director’s option to include those firearms not covered by other official Long Range Categories).

SHB p.31

We shoot BAM matches at my club’s monthly shoots alongside  our regular cowboy shooters. No big deal. We all shoot the same scenario with the pistol and sg targets in the same order but have separate rifle targets. Sometimes the rifle order is the same for both, sometimes different. The BAM targets are farther out. Spotting is no problem as when those 200 gr lead .30-40 or ‘06 bullets ring steel you know it. Sometimes the BAM guys use DA revolvers, sometimes 1911’s. Fun shooting. 

1 hour ago, Baltimore Ed said:

Sometimes the BAM guys use DA revolvers, sometimes 1911’s.

You have confused the term BAMM (bolt action rifle shooting) with Wild Bunch.   Wild Bunch shooters may be using revolvers (but that won't be standard Wild Bunch, of course).  BAMM shooters never do.

Good luck, GJ

No confusion. We have used both types of handguns for our version of BAM matches, we limit the 1911 to 2x5 rd mags to mimic the 2x5 rd revolvers that the cowboys use. Depends on what the match director creates. If we use DA revolvers I’ll carry my Krag but if we’re using a 1911 I’ll use my ‘03. We usually discuss and decide what the next month shoot’s theme is after we cleanup and put the steel away. The variety works great for us. If ECSASS was a strict sass club I would have left it years ago. In fact we are doing an actual WB match this month. I thought it was in June and carried my WB stuff to be the only guy shooting it, everyone else was playing cowboy. So I guess I came in first duelist in my category. [There was only 10 of us though.]

I'm with Baltimore Ed.  We don't do BAMM the way SASS does it.  We shoot it with mild cast bullet loads and the longest shot on our range is 90 yards.  We sometimes use a hand gun on a stage.  We even added a rifle caliber lever action category to get more people shooting.  They shoot the same stages, scored separately.  Some guys shoot both categories.  Your Model 95 would be welcome.

Y’all are shooting doughboy class in wild Bunch if in Texas or Oklahoma. This is not a recognized category in sass but is very popular in the above mentioned areas. The bolt gun replaces the pistol cal lever. Another option we have is rebelde gringo allowing the rifle caliber leveractions including the 95’s to compete. Oklahoma Calls this Roosevelt. We both call it fun! 

That is the beauty of Cody Dixon, Billy Dixon, Bamm, Gamm, Doughboy, Indian Fighter, or other similar categories; the MD is free to improvise the match so that everyone has fun.

Around here we often shoot a Professionals or Pike Match. Very similar to Wild Bunch but the MD is free to allow firearms that wouldn't be legal for a true WB match.  It is a great way to introduce shooters to Wild Bunch by allowing them to shoot what they have.

Original 1895s came in 30-40 Krag, 303 British, 30-03, 30-06, 7.62x54R, 35 Winchester, and a few other obscure calibers. I believe that the Browning repros  came in 30-06, 405 Winchester, and maybe 30-40 Krag.

La Sombra

I’ve got a strong case if the wants for a 95. Probably in 30-40 Krag or 405. (Big Medicine!)  Climbing Lyman sights. Had a nice one in my hands but the $5500 price tag was too steep for a rifle I would rarely shoot. But.... after I win the Lotto tonight I’ll be making a trip to Collectors Firearms in Houston.  :)

31 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I’ve got a strong case if the wants for a 95. Probably in 30-40 Krag or 405. (Big Medicine!)  Climbing Lyman sights. Had a nice one in my hands but the $5500 price tag was too steep for a rifle I would rarely shoot. But.... after I win the Lotto tonight I’ll be making a trip to Collectors Firearms in Houston.  :)

I'm with you.  Mine would be a Russian contract gun with the stripper clip guide. :)

405 is great caliber,heavy hitter on both ends. I have one and took it and a 35 95 both equipped with climbing lymen to Africa. Had a large time both performed well but the 405 was exceptional!  For rebelde gringo the rifle caliber leveractions are dialed back to 1500 fps and lead g.c. 

If y’all want to get in on some wild,wild bunch side matches sign up for the Texas State Wild Bunch Championship to be held in Bowie,Texas Nov.13,14 and 15. In addition to 12 main stages Friday will have BAMM,GAMM, popgun,trench sweep and many more. It’s going to be great! 

Archived