SASS Wire Forum

forget the ar.

Trigger Mike

Only if you're willing to expand your definition of "precision shooting" considerably.

5 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Better in some ways for sure, but I ain't got one. The AR is alot more portable and faster to reload. I expect the napoleon would be considerably more effective at dispersing a mob!

JHC

Yep, that's what I was thinking about.   The lawyer had room for one , even loaded with powder only would have solved his problem. 

1559286703_GangstaClaymore.jpg.b70effdce4de4e69d31f99b305714761.jpg

I'd rather stand in a upstairs window with the remote control for a bunch of these

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

Only if you're willing to expand your definition of "precision shooting" considerably.

Yeah. If you want precision get a 3” Ordnance Rifle. 

12 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

1 I wonder if a napoleon with canister might be better than the AR.

No.  The only good substitute for an AR would be an AR with a minimum legal-length barrel, folding stock and and several hi-capacity magazines.

OR, a 20-inch-barreled Remington 870 12-gauge shotgun with an extended tube magazine (6? in the tube and 1 in the chamber).  Double-ought (00) buckshot or maybe #4 shot-shells.  

Of course, if you’re dealing with violent people mixed up with a crowd, who break off and come at you, the AR is the better choice to deal with those threats, so the innocents aren’t injured.  Probably best to get caliber .223, SJHP, because FMJ rounds likely would pass on through, and hit the non-violent.

Cat Brules

I have zero interest in ARs.
Absolutely none.
No offense intended to anybody.

I figure a life and death situation is better served by a few 12-gauges with buckshot.
These pack more of a permanent wallop than a varmint cartridge.
ANTIFA is in our area now.

I have my 870 police, short barrel, long magazine and my trusty SxS, all with #00 or #1 buckshot.
In all my years, I have never had them "at the ready" until now.

For the mob headed your way setting fire to every building they pass it would be really effective.  To cut down on the collateral damage might want to use grape shot instead. 

BTW the US army still thinks there is value in having the ability to shoot grape shot out of artillery.  For the Iraq war they introduced 120mm M1028 Canister for the Abrams. 

42 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

For the mob headed your way setting fire to every building they pass it would be really effective.  To cut down on the collateral damage might want to use grape shot instead. 

BTW the US army still thinks there is value in having the ability to shoot grape shot out of artillery.  For the Iraq war they introduced 120mm M1028 Canister for the Abrams. 

Holy cow!  Talk about a street sweeper!

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Absolutely none.

I figure a life and death situation is better served by a few 12-gauges with buckshot.

I have my 870 police, short barrel, long magazine and my trusty SxS, all with #00 or #1 buckshot.

My Rem 870 is also the Police “model”.  I bought it about 1975 in Long Beach at a Walmart predecessor called “FedMart,” and kept it handy for the bolder local thugs who often would break into apartments, even if someone was home at the time, attacking women, if they found them at home, was not unusual.  

My girlfriend (at the time) carried a S&W .38Special Bodyguard in her purse and held one of these morons face-down on the floor until the police came and took him.  He went to prison.  I had reminded my gf if that ever happened, to shoot the sob 5 times.  Sez she:  “I had him covered, he was scared, and he did what I told him to do!  I’ll decide when to shoot, and I don’t miss!”  (Well, okay then.....)

Cat Brules

I'm most certainly an amateur when it comes to armed defense of my home.
However, I'd rather have a solid hit with a very familiar 870 than a solid miss with something I rarely shoot.

Here in CA, this would be a lose/lose for us, all the way around.
The State will crucify me, and the ANTIFA survivors will come back in the night or a month later.

9 hours ago, bgavin said:

Absolutely none.

I too have an AR. Took SWMBO to requalify this morning. 
As you pointed out I have never felt the need for a long gun to be “at the ready” 

till recently. 
Sad times. 

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

On 7/3/2020 at 7:57 AM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Better in some ways for sure, but I ain't got one. The AR is alot more portable and faster to reload. I expect the napoleon would be considerably more effective at dispersing a mob!

JHC

Mob?  What Mob?????

On 7/3/2020 at 5:57 AM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

JHC

AND, I suspect you would only have to fire it once!  

Cat Brules

Archived