SASS Wire Forum

Failed gun buy attempt

Trigger Mike

the rock island 1911 xt22 22 mag would not leave my mind after a couple of weeks.   I even bought the required amount and type of round the manufacturer said it prefers for a break in period.  I had my doubts but thought if it worked it could replace my sig 1911-22 I keep in the car.   

I took a single shot hatfield 410 to trade to save money and because I am trying to thin out my collection.   

They offered me $50 and refused to budge off the 599 for the pistol.   I walked out with my 410.   I now can put the xt22 in the back of my mind.   It was a bad idea anyway as anything it can do, A real 1911 can do better.   

8 minutes ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

look at the GSG 1911  .. mine was $299 at sportsmans wearhouse 

I gave Sassparilla Kid one for Christmas.  He loves it.

But...!  It IS the Sig 1911-22; just not marked "Sig!"  ^_^

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I gave Sassparilla Kid one for Christmas.  He loves it.

But...!  It IS the Sig 1911-22; just not marked "Sig!"  ^_^

the same gun  just no Sig price 

17 minutes ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

the same gun  just no Sig price 

Yup.  The "SIG" printed on the slide adds a hunnert bucks to the price.  ^_^

6 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

the rock island 1911 xt22 22 mag would not leave my mind after a couple of weeks.   I even bought the required amount and type of round the manufacturer said it prefers for a break in period.  I had my doubts but thought if it worked it could replace my sig 1911-22 I keep in the car.   

I took a single shot hatfield 410 to trade to save money and because I am trying to thin out my collection.   

They offered me $50 and refused to budge off the 599 for the pistol.   I walked out with my 410.   I now can put the xt22 in the back of my mind.   It was a bad idea anyway as anything it can do, A real 1911 can do better.   

Wait a week or two then go back to the same place and ask what their selling price is today.  Usually when they realize you're more then willing to walk away they will start to negotiate.   Learned this from my dad back in my High School days.  Dealer wouldn't budge on his asking price for the car I wanted.  I told Dealer if I walked out I wouldn't be coming back.  He didn't budge and I walked.  Dad and I spent the rest of the day looking but couldn't find anything better then the one I had walked out on.  Dad said, "Let's go back".  I said, "No.  I told him I wouldn't".  We went back and I asked dad, "What do I say now?"  Dad said, "Don't say anything".  Dealer met us at the door an apologized for getting our names and agreed to my earlier offer.

4 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Wait a week or two then go back to the same place and ask what their selling price is today.  Usually when they realize you're more then willing to walk away they will start to negotiate.   Learned this from my dad back in my High School days.  Dealer wouldn't budge on his asking price for the car I wanted.  I told Dealer if I walked out I wouldn't be coming back.  He didn't budge and I walked.  Dad and I spent the rest of the day looking but couldn't find anything better then the one I had walked out on.  Dad said, "Let's go back".  I said, "No.  I told him I wouldn't".  We went back and I asked dad, "What do I say now?"  Dad said, "Don't say anything".  Dealer met us at the door an apologized for getting our names and agreed to my earlier offer.

DON’T go back to deal with someone who won’t negotiate.

If you do (I wouldn’t), you must offer (and get it for)  less than you offered to buy it for the first time.......to make up (pay you) for the time you wasted trying to buy it the first time.  Just tell them that, if they ask

Seriously, if you do go back, they’ll think they have a fish hooked and won’t be any easier to deal with.   You did the right thing to walk.  Blow it off and don’t look back.

Cat Brules

Seems like a fair number of salespeople do not realize (or care, perhaps), that the buyer needs to have a say in the price.  If a price is firm, and unyielding, then the sale may go nowhere.  But what they have not seemed to figure out is: the buyer is plunking down hard-earned money, and having a say in the price will make a big difference.  Even if the price isn't coming down that much, the buyer will think he has had a say in the price, and will...like as not...make the purchase. 

Some sellers may have figured that out, and inflated the price somewhat, so they can come down, and seem to "negotiate"...(car dealers?). 

I ran into a real estate agent, when I was looking to buy property a few years ago, that would not even consider an offer.  I walked, and bought elsewhere. 

I have no regrets either.

Some prices are fixed, and we all know that.  Many more are negotiable, like: property, cars, firearms, etc.   

You know...some of the things out there are just not that complicated, and just require plain old common horse sense. 

Other things, that people "should" know, are: you get what you pay for; most likely getting more than what you pay for is a rare thing. 

Many businesses fail.  The main reason is, the business owner has zero business sense, and treats the customer like an advisory.  Also, there is the other "reason"...just plain old common greed! That's why customer service is so very important...and seemingly so rare nowadays.  We remember good customer service, and we are loyal to those businesses that provide good customer service.  We remember it, so well, because it seems it is such a rare thing...and thus a pleasant surprise when we do encounter it. 

My Two Bits.

W.K.

I have bought numerous items from him and he is usually at least 10 % higher than he should be.   Sometimes he will come off the 10% , other times he will take off the tax.  He knows I will go elsewhere as my son wears the t shirt from the other store into his store.  Right now he knows he will sell it.  He has been selling 35 guns a day lately. 

Guns and ammo are flying off the shelves right now.
Nobody with a gun in stock is going to budge on price... cuz he doesn't have to.

There are 5 more Karens standing in line waving their money.
They don't know which end is the working end, but they will but anyway.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Guns and ammo are flying off the shelves right now.
Nobody with a gun in stock is going to budge on price... cuz he doesn't have to.

There are 5 more Karens standing in line waving their money.
They don't know which end is the working end, but they will but anyway.

They might not be able to restock after the sale.

I never shot a whole lot of .22 Mag handguns but never cared for them. Just seemed like a really loud and expensive .22. Different critter in a rifle. Had one long ago before I started reloading, then I could reload .22/250s for little if any more than .22 Mag shells cost (back then) so I traded it off.

JHC

21 minutes ago, punxsutawneypete said:

Having cash in hand is a big help in negotiation.

definitely and he knows I have the cash.  we are neighbors.  His grandfather used to farm the land I live on.  I am glad he did it that way this time as it saved me some money.  He gets ornery sometimes.  a friend of mine grew up with him and said his father beat the snot out of him regularly.  I don't hold it against him.  It just saved me money and I really didn't need it.  I was just tired of my Sig 1911-22 and wanted something with more rounds.  

10 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Seems like a fair number of salespeople do not realize (or care, perhaps), that the buyer needs to have a say in the price.  If a price is firm, and unyielding, then the sale may go nowhere.  But what they have not seemed to figure out is: the buyer is plunking down hard-earned money, and having a say in the price will make a big difference.  Even if the price isn't coming down that much, the buyer will think he has had a say in the price, and will...like as not...make the purchase. 

Some sellers may have figured that out, and inflated the price somewhat, so they can come down, and seem to "negotiate"...(car dealers?). 

I ran into a real estate agent, when I was looking to buy property a few years ago, that would not even consider an offer.  I walked, and bought elsewhere. 

I have no regrets either.

Some prices are fixed, and we all know that.  Many more are negotiable, like: property, cars, firearms, etc.   

You know...some of the things out there are just not that complicated, and just require plain old common horse sense. 

Other things, that people "should" know, are: you get what you pay for; most likely getting more than what you pay for is a rare thing. 

Many businesses fail.  The main reason is, the business owner has zero business sense, and treats the customer like an advisory.  Also, there is the other "reason"...just plain old common greed! That's why customer service is so very important...and seemingly so rare nowadays.  We remember good customer service, and we are loyal to those businesses that provide good customer service.  We remember it, so well, because it seems it is such a rare thing...and thus a pleasant surprise when we do encounter it. 

My Two Bits.

W.K.

Sorry but that is about as uninformed a statement as I have heard, especially regarding small businesses. As a small business owner myself for 17 years (seed & feed business) we treated (and paid) our in-house employees very well (double minimum wage + benefits), our drivers got union rate for our area (about $20 an hour at the time) and took care of our customers needs as if they were family. Fair prices, quality products, informed and knowledgeable staff. Problems handled by the owners (my wife and I) including on site inspections and recommendations, classes and seminars (given and taken) , unforeseen situations handled promptly. In return I had customer’s spend hours and days picking my employee’s brains to then buy online saving themselves $10 bucks on a thousand dollar deal, then bitch when what they got wasn’t what their online vendor said it was or what that vendor recommended wasn’t suitable in our area or for that application. Most of the time they then expected us to make it right for them when we had nothing to do with the sale. Had customer’s special order mixes (not returnable and useless once mixed) then just toss them to an inexperienced employee, demand a refund or not pay a prearranged price. Had numerous bankruptcies to us during the previous administration as over regulation was rampant, fuel prices soared, repair costs went out of control, farmers (a large part of our target market) were crushed by marginal profits and changes in the agricultural industry. As far as “greed” that came from customers who felt like you that the small business could afford it when they couldn’t, when customers felt a business built on passion and desire could be jacked over and their profit (no matter how small) was somehow an evil thing, that dedicated employee’s didn’t really deserve a decent wage or benefits since they were really just peons there to serve and we should cut their wages (we didn’t),
When we decided enough was enough, when we were borrowing against our house and property and retirement to make payroll, and taxes, and bills and regulatory fees it was not because of poor business practices or greed it was because of a growing attitude by consumers such as yourself that believed they should get something for nothing and to heck with the small business surviving.... after  all you can always go to Walmart. 
Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid
PS when we closed that put 3 drivers, 4 warehouse workers, 2 counter clerks, an outside sales manager , my wife and myself out of work.
Thanks 

I run a sporting goods store, right now i don't have any firm info on when any guns can be replenished other than 7 guns that should arrive monday. 

Currently I have over 1200 guns on order just for stock purposes and special customer orders sitting at about 500. 

Ammo is a joke, no firm commitment from any company about shipping. This is far worse than Obama days. 

Upset customers wanting to wheel and deal or get a price break because they are buying 4 boxes of 9mm that the guy behind them will pay full price for.  Then they get all hurt because you don't appreciate them enough to give them a break. 

Upset because, no offense intended for OP, they want to trade a beat up marlin 60 towards an AR and want the price of the marlin to magically drop the AR by 250 dollars. Logistically that does not work. 

If I have nothing to sell how do I pay my 15 employees and myself. I cant loose a dollar on a deal right now. 

Once you pass a certain level of sales a day, credit card  fees dont matter.

Unlike a gun show, cash doesnt help my bottom line, its like  stopping to pick up a penny instead of going to work to make 20 bucks an hour. 

Again this isn't meant to be offensive, panic buying doesn't make a gun stores business  better,in the long run it just hurts us and the customer

It's 66 years of working for a company like that, and doing business, here and there, with other companies, large and small, corporate and "mom and pop" size.  Not every business is like yours, and I did not imply they were all lacking...but many are.  I tried to consult those businesses, including mine, about customer service, and how today's graduates are different than our generation was, but it mostly fell on deaf ears.  If your business is customer oriented, and you pay attention to the details, then that is what you should be doing.  Good for you.  But many are not, and more seem, from what I could figure out, that are not doing well.  I also found out that many supervisors/owners/bosses, work hard, and long hours, but for some reason are too close to the forest to see the trees, when it comes to constructive advice.  Not everyone has basic business skills, and perhaps do not have a long time to develop them, before things start to go haywire.  My statements may not apply to every case, and I did not infer that it did.     

Uninformed my backside!

Howdy,

If anybody has guns sitting around this is the time to sell.

I cant get any gun store on the phone.

the guy who expects a big deal will have to wait for the rush to pass.

If you do sell be sure to follow any new laws.

Best

CR

10 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

If anybody has guns sitting around this is the time to sell.

I cant get any gun store on the phone.

the guy who expects a big deal will have to wait for the rush to pass.

If you do sell be sure to follow any new laws.

Best

CR

My local store stopped accepting consignments because of the looters.  Haven’t checked with small stores farther away, the big local stores never took consignments.

Archived