SASS Wire Forum

He needs a bayonet

Trigger Mike

on the meme thread it has a meme with a close up picture of the lawyer defending his home from criminals and I noticed he didn't have a bayonet lug on his rifle.  If he had a bayonet attached it might have calmed the thugs down sooner.   

Maybe I should break out my Mosin nagant rifle and attach the spike bayonet just in case. 

54 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

If I'm defending my home the only way I'm going to need a bayonet is if I run out of ammo.

kR

This is true but....... It's a sikologikal thing. 

1 hour ago, Kid Rich said:

If I'm defending my home the only way I'm going to need a bayonet is if I run out of ammo.

kR

1957, Logan Utah High School Army ROTC, MSgt William T. Martin, teaching bayonet skills: "If I ever find out that any of you young gentlemen has used a bayonet in combat when you still had a round left in your rifle, I will make you wish that you had used that round to shoot yourself."

No one dared dispute MSgt Martin.

Seven years later when I graduated from college and had been commissioned a 2Lt in the Army MSgt  Martin (and MSgt Charles Woolems) was at the commissioning ceremony wearing an Infantry Colonel's uniform.  They had extended their careers to teach us "young gentlemen" how to be soldiers..... and had retired the day before at their highest held rank. 

The reason the long knives are intimidating is that with just a rifle he's just gonna kill you. If he has a bayonet also he's still just gonna kill you but with the bayonet he's probably gonna take a lot more time getting you killed and he's probably get a lot more fun out of it.

You are not going to like the end result either way, but why provide him with entertainment while why he's doing it?

48 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Nah.  If you want to "keep up the skeer" try:

American WWI 12 gauge trench shotgun with M1917 bayonet. The ...

Winchester Model 97 Trench Shotgun With Bayonet by Cowan's ...

Got the blade but it's on a 1917 Eddystone. Think that will work?:lol:

That sticker has the sharpest point of any bayonet that I have handled!

I was so inspired by this thread, that I got on-line, and ordered bayonets for my rifles that had a bayonet lug.  

One for my reproduction 2-band Enfield; one for my reproduction 1863 Remington; one for my Underwood M1 Carbine (1943); one for my M1 Garand (1954), one for my Remington 03A3 (1943); and one for my Colt AR. 

They may not be a really useful tool, and I did not find them to be so, back in the late '60's/early 70's, but seeing that frog sticker on the end of my barrel, or feeling it on my belt, made a small difference...to me anyway.  Maybe that ain't you...but then again...I ain't you.   

Beats a stick in the eye.

W.K.     

A military rifle is simply not complete without a bayonet. My AR isn’t military so I don’t have one for it.

But my Garand, 1863 Springfield, SKS, SMLE, and 3 Line Rifle all have pointy things. They are much happier with them.

When I was at Ft Devens in 68-69 we learned that a large Anti War protest was being organized. It was expected to be violent and the FBI said an attempt would be made to overrun the main gate. Now Ft Devens was kind of a small base.It had been used during WW1 and 2 but not a lot of activity since Korea other than training for the 1st Div and 1976th INF Bde.

There was just a garrison unit and as I recall a Signal Corps and ASA unit. They moved us, 10th Special Forces Group there from Germany in 68.

So as the only combat arms unit there, the post commander thought we would make great riot troops. :wacko:

Now, organizing 24 A-Teams into riot troops was in my opinion, not a good idea. All of the men on my team were E6 and above, most with multiple combat tours. We trained in riot tactics for a few days and then the day of the big event dawned. 
We were told that we would be the reserve behind the Regular and NG Military Police. If they were pushed back they would retreat through our ranks and we would “get down to business“.

As we waited to board the trucks for the mail gate I noticed two of my guy sharpening their bayonets.....and smiling a lot.
“Oh Lord. This may not end well for the Hippies”, I mumbled.
The crowd approached yelling their various standard anti war chants.
My guys smiled and shivered in anticipation.

But there was no attempt to breach the gates. The mob sat down in the road for awhile and eventually meandered back toward town. I suspect the heat, cheap wine and weed mellowed their mood. They were satisfied they had stuck it to the military-industrial complex and probably anticipated a congratulatory phone call. Perhaps from Abbie Hoffman or Jane you-know-who her own self.

Our bayonets were sheathed unblooded.

I went to the club for a stiff drink.

:D

3 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

I think I am covered.:ph34r:

921041195_Bayodisplay-2.thumb.jpg.332a7ec4903cdd2725a2ed09a66efe71.jpg

3 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

I think I am covered.:ph34r:

921041195_Bayodisplay-2.thumb.jpg.332a7ec4903cdd2725a2ed09a66efe71.jpg

Is that M5 nickel plated?

2 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I was so inspired by this thread, that I got on-line, and ordered bayonets for my rifles that had a bayonet lug.  

One for my reproduction 2-band Enfield; one for my reproduction 1863 Remington; one for my Underwood M1 Carbine (1943); one for my M1 Garand (1954), one for my Remington 03A3 (1943); and one for my Colt AR. 

I have one from 1917 for my 1917 Enfield.

On 7/3/2020 at 7:35 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

1957, Logan Utah High School Army ROTC, MSgt William T. Martin, teaching bayonet skills: "If I ever find out that any of you young gentlemen has used a bayonet in combat when you still had a round left in your rifle, I will make you wish that you had used that round to shoot yourself."

No one dared dispute MSgt Martin.

Seven years later when I graduated from college and had been commissioned a 2Lt in the Army MSgt  Martin (and MSgt Charles Woolems) was at the commissioning ceremony wearing an Infantry Colonel's uniform.  They had extended their careers to teach us "young gentlemen" how to be soldiers..... and had retired the day before at their highest held rank. 

Back in your day didn't they order bayonet charges regularly?  I didn't realize that was only after all the ammo in the trench was gone. 

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Back in your day didn't they order bayonet charges regularly?  I didn't realize that was only after all the ammo in the trench was gone. 

Bayonets are good for the morale of them what wield them and a psycholgical jolt to the bad guys, and not too bad for herding crowds, but they aren't my fist (2nd, 3rd, etc.) choice for a  serious weapon as long as I have ammo.  

Like I told a lady who was trying to sell me a sword cane after I asked if I could buy the same cane without a blade.  "Honey, I live in Arizona.  If someone is close enough for me to use a sword on it means they got through about five magazines of .45 auto ammunition an a serious pistol whipping."

I got the plain cane and saved almost a hundred bucks.

The advent of the machine gun pretty much signaled the end of the bayonet charge. But isolated incidents have still occurred.

The tactic of firing one volley and then charging with bayonets worked well for the British army for a a few centuries. Many an enemy unit fled the field at the approach of a thousand yelling men with gleaming steel affixed to their Brown Bess muskets. The employment of the accurate rifle by Colonials gave them some serious problems during our Revolution. But the bayonet charge persisted as a tactic through the 19th century and into the killing fields of France in 1914. Given the right conditions it can still be effective. But it’s rare.

https://militaryhistorynow.com/2014/01/17/stickin-it-to-em-the-last-of-the-great-bayonet-charges/

Archived