SASS Wire Forum

IAC Trigger Stop Adjustment

Marshal Jennison

Hi:   I picked up a nice IAC 1897 today and noticed that the trigger stop pin isn’t sticking out very far (barely at all); I’m guessing it might need adjusting.   Not understanding the purpose of the trigger stop in the first place I have no idea how to adjust it properly.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  

thanks, Marshal Jennison 

It’s not a primarily trigger stop.  It prevents the hammer from dropping until the bolt is locked.

The bolt is locked by a lug on the lifter rising into place locking the bolt.  The trigger is blocked from dropping the hammer by adjusting the “trigger stop”.  If you, starting with the lifter in the down position, hold the trigger in a “pulled” position and slowly raise the lifter while holding the trigger, you will see how much the lifter has locked the bolt when the hammer drops.  The hammer should drop just as the bolt becomes fully locked.  If the hammer drops before that, the gun is unsafe and the trigger stop should be adjusted out until the hammer drops at the proper time.

If you can, get someone familiar with the 97 to help you with this.

Archived