SASS Wire Forum

Anyone try Federal Small Pistol Magnum primers?

Slimy

They work fine for both smokeless and blackpowder cartridges.  You won’t be able to tell the difference without a chronograph, and then it’s negligible at our target distances.

Several shooters have stated that the magnum primers are slightly harder to set off. 

But they have worked fine for me as I have just a little stronger hammer springs that will work with Winchester as well.

That's all I use smokeless and BP........... No Problems!

Like everyone else, I'll use either for BP or smokeless.  If I have both on the shelf I prefer to use Magnums with BP.

BS

Item of interest concerning Small pistol primers.

The size of the primer cups are the same for:

Small Pistol primers

Small Magnum Pistol primers

Small Rifle primers

The Small Pistol primers and Small Rifle primers are not harder but thicker material to take the higher pressures of the load charge.

Not thicker because of the primer charge.

As a commercial reloader, I had to find primers to fill customer orders during the past primer shortages.

Read lots of specs on primrs and talked with some representitives of the manufacturers.

Small Pistol Magnum pirmers and Small Rifle primers are different only in packaging and price. (pennies)

If you consider using Small RIfle primers, read the psecs for yourself.

==============

NOTE / WARNING

Larger pistol primers and Large Rifle primers ARE NOT interchangable.

The size of the primer cups a not the same.

Large Rilfe primer cups are deeper and will not set in the case pocket deep enough to go flush or recess in the pocket of pistol cases.

I've used the Small Pistol Magnum primers (Federal) for a few light years with NO issues in .32's,  .38's, 9mm, etc.....

Personally, I don't know if the cup is harder or not but I do know with a multiple of finely tuned pistols and rifle springs,

I've experienced NO problems.

A few years back, I called both CCI and Federal to ask the question about Magnum primers concerning their difference from

standard primers.

BOTH companies told me that their pistol Magnum primers were made to have a longer burn time of the flash..... but not

necessarily a hotter flash.    The longer burn time allowed for a more complete burn of powder.

If others have a better knowledge of this, they will chime in and share their wisdom.

The 'MATCH' primers are also good to use if you can't find the others. 

..........Widder

We ALWAYS use magnum pistol primers.  They work fine.  :D

The chamber pressures for CAS should be at the low end anyhow.

2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Small Pistol Magnum pirmers and Small Rifle primers are different only in packaging and price. (pennies)

If you consider using Small RIfle primers, read the psecs for yourself.

So will small Pistol Magnum primers will work in Small Rifle primer applications? Or does that pose risks because of higher pressures of larger loads?

The reason I ask is I have few Small Rifle primers left for my .30 Carbine loads, but I have plenty of SMP primers.

ABSOLUTELY, Fed 200 and my favorite GM200M for smokeless and BP.

Abilene Slim, Small Magnum Pistol primers and Small Rifle primers are the same for most manufacturers. (check spec on both before using)

The primers come from the same machines and are packages as either depending on production run at the time.

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

So will small Pistol Magnum primers will work in Small Rifle primer applications? Or does that pose risks because of higher pressures of larger loads?

The reason I ask is I have few Small Rifle primers left for my .30 Carbine loads, but I have plenty of SMP primers.

16 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Abilene Slim, Small Magnum Pistol primers and Small Rifle primers are the same for most manufacturers. (check spec on both before using)

The primers come from the same machines and are packages as either depending on production run at the time.

From my experience and understanding, I think Cliff Hanger is correct.

SLIM:  Small pistol AND Small pistol Magnum primers will work in Small RIFLE primer applications, BUT...... you will probably not

get the rifle load performance with those pistol primers.   Small RIFLE primers are concocted to burn a greater volume of powder, AND.....

it is possible you could have some punctured primers using the Pistol primers in a rifle application.

There are exceptions, one of which is the .454 Casull.   There are some load data that recommend using Small Rifle (and/or  Small Rifle Magnum) primers

in the .454 brass because it was made for small primer sizes.

Originally, the .454 was made for Large Pistol primers but somebody quickly discovered the brass would be better and last longer if

a small primer pocket was put in the brass and the web of the case built up to help withstand its 'gusto'.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

From my experience and understanding, I think Cliff Hanger is correct.

SLIM:  Small pistol AND Small pistol Magnum primers will work in Small RIFLE primer applications, BUT...... you will probably not

get the rifle load performance with those pistol primers.   Small RIFLE primers are concocted to burn a greater volume of powder, AND.....

it is possible you could have some punctured primers using the Pistol primers in a rifle application.

Thx.

I’ve read other forums about pierced primers and possible damage to firing pins, but the warnings seemed to revolve around AR-15s etc. 

Just the same, I don’t feel like experimenting with my own hardware just yet. 

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

There are exceptions, one of which is the .454 Casull.   There are some load data that recommend using Small Rifle (and/or  Small Rifle Magnum) primers

Originally, the .454 was made for Large Pistol primers but somebody quickly discovered the brass would be better and last longer if

a small primer pocket was put in the brass and the web of the case built up to help withstand its 'gusto'.

..........Widder

In my 'lite'. 454 Casull loads(255gn platted SWC, 9gn of Unique)I use a STD, SP primer.

Full loads with H-110 get a magnum SR primer.

OLG 

50 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

In my 'lite'. 454 Casull loads(255gn platted SWC, 9gn of Unique)I use a STD, SP primer.

Full loads with H-110 get a magnum SR primer.

OLG 

Lumpy,

I also like H110.  But LilGun has become my favorite with hot .45 Colt and .454 Casull 'Godzilla' loads.

..........Widder

7 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Lumpy,

I also like H110.  But LilGun has become my favorite with hot .45 Colt and .454 Casull 'Godzilla' loads.

..........Widder

H-110 gives higher fps and it's more temperature stable.

I found it showed less ES over the crono.

Have you chronographed your .454 loads.

My favorite load is 31.0gn of H-110 with Sierra 300gn jacketed flat point.

OLG 

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

Exactly....When one drives 260 grain heavy jacketed bullets (not full jacket) at near 2000 fps there is MUCH cup pressure thus the need for the small primer pocket and small rifle primer.  I use Remington 7 1/2 Small Rifle Bench Rest primers to ignite a healthy load of H-110.

Archived