SASS Wire Forum

the other part of the virus we need to consider

Trigger Mike

This virus has made a lot of people afraid .  Afraid of their loved ones and maybe even afraid of their own shadow.  My mom lives in Missouri near my sister and her family.  My sister has boarded up inside her home and won't let me mom come see the 2 grand kids for fear of the virus.  My mom is in the so called drop at risk due to age.  My sister's boys are both less than 12.  She has only let my mom comes once and see them from across the yard on the other side of a fence , once through the storm door since February and finally a couple of weeks ago a couple of hours and was asked by one of the grand kids if she still had the virus.  The other times my mom went over there she would drop off groceries at my sister's door and my sister would refuse to eat it until it had sat for at least 24 hours, to make sure it is not contaminated.

She never had it, just the usually cold.  This week my mom mentioned that she had visited a friend's house and also went to a restaurant once.  My sister told her to order her groceries delivered and stay at home by herself or never see her family again.  

We have allowed fear and her hatred of the president verses my mom's love of the president to cause us to isolate ourselves from those we love.  We have allowed fear and hatred to mistreat people.  We have let fear suppress our usually logic and ability to reason things out.  

I have mentioned before her moving back to GA but she balked.  She asked me again today so I told her I would look to see what is around.  There are hardly any homes for rent or sale right now.  I offered to let her stay in a cabin I have as well but she turned it down, and it is small.  

Apparently, the coronavirus became an excuse for your sister to misbehave toward your mom.  Maybe your having a talk with your sister would help?  Older people, like your mom need to get out of the house, because they are usually alone and their friends have either passed away or live long distances from them.

I had a similar problem arise with my brother; he’s liberal and I’m conservative.  He became very angry and abusive on a periodic phone call with me during the last presidential election because I refused to engage politically with him.  I told him I would hang up if he didn’t stop.  He kept it up, and I did hang up.  We have not spoken since.

Cat Brules

22 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

We have not spoken since.

That’s a shame. My daughter is liberal. How and why that happened I attribute to a failure of mine but dh’s a grown up and make her own choices. 
Anyway, her friends and in-laws are all pretty liberal. I have told them all “We all get along pretty well. Do not try and engage your politics with me and we will get along nicely.” And I mean that. Some folks just don’t know how to do that so I hit them with a few facts and that usually ends the discourse. 

We agree to disagree. 

At Christmas about 7 or 8 years ago my daughter’s sister-in-law and her bitter lesbian partner decided to make a show of verbally jousting with me over politics on Christmas Day in front of family. Without treating them like the asses they are I walked over to where they were sitting on the couch, sat on the coffee table right in front of them and leaned in so only they could hear me and told them that if they persisted in trying to discuss their politics on a holiday in front of family I would not participate and that if they could not enjoy the holiday without politics that they really needed to evaluate their own selves in regards to their petty need for validation. 

That was the first time those two remained quiet at a family function in years, apparently. Several people asked what I said to them and I never told, but our “family” get togethers have been politics free since. When folks try to taint me into political discussions in that group of people someone else from the family shuts it down. Apparently word got around that I was serious about my thoughts on the matter. 
We somehow collectively agree to disagree without ever discussing it openly after my little discussion with the women I call “the bitter lesbians”.

Reach out to your brother and discuss the “agree to disagree” concept. It may work. 

In 2000 when Bush was elected I was at my sister's for Thanksgiving. The conversation got political and everyone there was a liberal except for me and my oldest son. He chose to be quiet out of respect for his aunt, my sister. My sis came up with the statement that anyone that voted for Bush had to be an idiot! She knows damn well I voted for Bush! At that point I got up and thanked her for a fine meal and I left! I didn't talk to my sister for months after that. She finally apologized to me and I accepted. We never talked politics again at any holidays.

She's gone now so RIP big Sis.

3 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Apparently, the coronavirus became an excuse for your sister to misbehave toward your mom.  Maybe your having a talk with your sister would help?  Older people, like your mom need to get out of the house, because they are usually alone and their friends have either passed away or live long distances from them.

I agree with Cat, unless your sister has some mental health issues that need looked into. It sounds like there is almost a level of paranoia there (not in the strict diagnostic sense), that would cause some concern.

My family runs the spectrum politically, conservatives, liberals, and a few of us who loosely qualify as small L libertarian. I can find common ground and disagreement with most of my family members, but like others, I simply try not to engage. I have a couple of times, usually to my regret over the hurt feelings all around.

Many people live their lives without having been seriously threatened (as far as they know).

And now there is a serious threat to them and everyone they know. They don’t know how do deal with it and fear takes the helm, fortified by constant information, disinformation, and hysteria from the news media. The result is unreasoning fear and paranoia. It’s a shame that relationships are being damaged, perhaps irrevocably in some cases.

Some people ignore the threat, some are overwhelmed by it. On one end of the spectrum are the folks who have locked themselves down and shut off all contact. On the other end are the ones who deny there is any threat at all.

Taking reasonable precautions is all we can do during this.
I’m  to be optimistic like the Londoners during the Blitz.
Eventually things will return to normal. They did after the Spanish flu and the Black Plague, which were worse than this.

Seems like your sister has been watching too much television, and listening/reading too much from the media about all this.  All one needs to do is use some good old common horse sense, and precautions.  Some of the things they were saying about the virus, at the beginning, they are now revising.  What was "gospel" yesterday, concerning the virus, is not being substantiated today.  We walk a tightrope with this virus.  We can't be too loosey-goosey, with it, or overreact either.  She seems to be letting her fear overcome her common sense.  She isn't the only one. 

I have found out that liberals/leftists are the most intolerant people on the planet.  It's their way, or the highway.  I tell them we can either discuss it, or we can not discuss it, but that my opinion is just as valid as their opinion is.  They don't want to hear it, so they shut you down by intimidation, disrespect, or belittling you.  You cannot have a discussion if the other person has a closed mind.  That doesn't mean you have to cave in to the other side, just listen as to why they take it that way.  So....I either have a discussion, and present my side, and let them do the same, or if they are not interested, then I either shut the topic down, or I leave.  If I leave they can then go to the mirror, and argue with themselves.  Or...they can go out to the street corner and argue with the stop sign. 

W.K.

15 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

If I leave they can then go to the mirror, and argue with themselves.  

W.K.

I think I need to buy a decent sized mirror on a stand to keep during family get-togethers.

22 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Many people live their lives without having been seriously threatened (as far as they know).

And now there is a serious threat to them and everyone they know. They don’t know how do deal with it and fear takes the helm, fortified by constant information, disinformation, and hysteria from the news media. The result is unreasoning fear and paranoia. It’s a shame that relationships are being damaged, perhaps irrevocably in some cases.

Some people ignore the threat, some are overwhelmed by it. On one end of the spectrum are the folks who have locked themselves down and shut off all contact. On the other end are the ones who deny there is any threat at all.

Taking reasonable precautions is all we can do during this.
I’m  to be optimistic like the Londoners during the Blitz.
Eventually things will return to normal. They did after the Spanish flu and the Black Plague, which were worse than this.

I read your post and thought how true that is and was.  I thought at one time that unless the bullets either hit me or threw mud on me I was safe.  Then one day it dawned on me that the little brown brothers were probably just as serious about their bullets as I was of mine. I was just fortunate then and seem to be now.

Archived