SASS Wire Forum

So... What now?

Creeker, SASS #43022

So having read this over the past few days, it might be worth noting that a lot of folks come here if they're a but curious about what we're made of.

Just sayin....

As for thoughts about expanding the appeal of SASS...

What if some of our Texas pards invite Colion Noir to shoot a match?

Or our Tennessee contingent coax Hickok45 off of his range to dust off his shooters at a match? Katie Sackhoff from Longmire has a YouTube channel, invite her to an L.A. monthly. Find some celebrities to come out. If they don't take to it, some of their fan base might.

What happened to the idea of a flyer in the boxes of the Italian guns from Taylor's, Cimarron, EMF or the Vaqueros from Ruger? All of those companies stand to profit from people actually using there products for more than plinking. 

For the farther reach, there's a few video games that kids play that are western themed. It couldn't hurt to put a bug in their ear.

As a personal aside, I might have gotten into this sport a lot sooner if I had known where to at least spectate. It's not all that easy to find until you know where to look, and even then, it's not exactly information that's falling into your hands. Keep in mind that SASS started in my backyard about the same time I mustered out of the Army.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The games that are growing here are IDPA and, to a lesser extent, IPSC.  I'm going to regurgitate the few biggest issues folks have with SASS, and why they aren't interested, these are in no particular order.  Note that my opinion is not expressed here.  Those of you that know me know where I stand on these issues:

• They don't know about it, ie. not enough marketing
  • Targets are too big, too close.  The challenge is speed rather than accuracy.  Check out Steel Challenge as an example
  • Stand and deliver stages or stand and deliver, move, stand and deliver.  No opportunity to move while shooting. not much need to really "plan out" how to shoot the stage other than transitions. 
  • Stages are all very similar (see above)
  • Targets are all out in the open.  No barricades, or no-hit targets partially blocking the hit targets.  It's just not "interesting".
  • Shooter says "I don't have the guns, and don't want to buy for another game"

In none of these cases have I heard "it's too expensive".  For most, I think this is a red herring.  Getting setup for Open in IPSC with holster, mags, red dot sight, comp, etc. will easily set someone back over $5k.  A basic set of guns for SASS, even with basic gunsmithing doesn't get that expensive.

Anyway, that's what I hear at the other games from shooters I talk to. And yes, I know what I've just stepped in.

Doc

1 hour ago, Doc Shapiro said:

The games that are growing here are IDPA and, to a lesser extent, IPSC.  I'm going to regurgitate the few biggest issues folks have with SASS, and why they aren't interested, these are in no particular order.  Note that my opinion is not expressed here.  Those of you that know me know where I stand on these issues:

• Targets are too big, too close.  The challenge is speed rather than accuracy.
  • Stand and deliver stages or stand and deliver, move, stand and deliver.  No opportunity to move while shooting. not much need to really "plan out" how to shoot the stage other than transitions. 
  • Targets are all out in the open.  No barricades, or no-hit targets partially blocking the hit targets.  It's just not "interesting".

In none of these cases have I heard "it's too expensive".  For most, I think this is a red herring.  Getting setup for Open in IPSC with holster, mags, red dot sight, comp, etc. will easily set someone back over $4k.  A basic set of guns for SASS, even with basic gunsmithing doesn't get that expensive.

Anyway, that's what I hear at the other games from shooters I talk to. And yes, I know what I've just stepped in.

Doc

Fantastic input Doc.

I think we can all agree on the need for marketing. 

And as Phantom has pointed out - proper and targeted marketing or we are screaming into the void.

Out of all the folks within SASS; someone has to be able to direct, assist or point us in the right direction.

I think most of the other points come down to enticing folks (from other disciplines) to participate, because of the (perceived) relative ease of our game.

Though, I wonder if upping the "challenge" in our game "possibly" drives away existing shooters and loses some of our appeal as an entry level, family friendly game. 

And we have to figure out where our growth should/ can/ may come from.

Existing casual shooters or folks shooting other disciplines or even from folks currently outside the firearms community?

But no principle...

(As it pertains to a game)

NONE, should be inviolate and everything should be on the table.

But because we are viewed as an entry level shooting game by many...

(And I've often said it myself - maybe I'm wrong)

It would be interesting research to find out how many SASS shooters were experienced firearms competitors prior to SASS vs how many became competition shooters via SASS. 

Because you are correct; most shooting sports are expensive - your example above, a quality trap or skeet gun, etc.

This would provide valuable insight into whether startup costs are a true barrier or a red herring reason to not play.

1 hour ago, Doc Shapiro said:

• Targets are too big, too close.  The challenge is speed rather than accuracy.  Check out Steel Challenge as an example

In none of these cases have I heard "it's too expensive".  For most, I think this is a red herring.  Getting setup for Open in IPSC with holster, mags, red dot sight, comp, etc. will easily set someone back over $5k.  A basic set of guns for SASS, even with basic gunsmithing doesn't get that expensive.

Doc

I've heard that there is at least one club out west that gave up their SASS affiliation so they could shoot on the move and maybe change some other rules. Do you know if this club flourished or failed?

If it flourished, how much?  Are we talking 50 new shooters or 5? Does it continue to grow?

If it failed was it lack of SASS backing or were they wrong in their thinking? 

I've shot exactly 1 stand and deliver stage in 2 years so it must be different out west. I'll grant though that 99% of our stages are stand/deliver move, stand/deliver. The club I shoot at the most only allows for horizontal movement, but we could potentially hide targets and/or add the no hit targets. We do shoot one stage we call peek-a-boo that everyone seems to enjoy(shotgun targets mixed behind pistol targets that one must move to get a clear shot).

That same club, the targets aren't huge and up close so again it may be a bit different out west.

31 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Because you are correct; most shooting sports are expensive - your example above, a quality trap or skeet gun, etc.

This would provide valuable insight into whether startup costs are a true barrier or a red herring reason to not play.

It's kind of relative.

If you think this is expensive, don't ever get into race cars, hot rods or heaven forbid, 100% correct restorations.

At least I can tear down my 97 on the workbench. :D

7 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I've heard that there is at least one club out west that gave up their SASS affiliation so they could shoot on the move and maybe change some other rules. Do you know if this club flourished or failed?

If it flourished, how much?  Are we talking 50 new shooters or 5? Does it continue to grow?

If it failed was it lack of SASS backing or were they wrong in their thinking? 

I've shot exactly 1 stand and deliver stage in 2 years so it must be different out west. I'll grant though that 99% of our stages are stand/deliver move, stand/deliver. The club I shoot at the most only allows for horizontal movement, but we could potentially hide targets and/or add the no hit targets. We do shoot one stage we call peek-a-boo that everyone seems to enjoy(shotgun targets mixed behind pistol targets that one must move to get a clear shot).

That same club, the targets aren't huge and up close so again it may be a bit different out west.

Incidentally (and you probably already knew this), that's a club where I am MD.

The club is doing fine.  Neither growing nor shrinking, though I do nothing in the way of marketing.  It's also a club that only shoots on 5th weekend days, so it's not a monthly, which means it's harder to plan for.  I do see a ton of smiles on shooters faces. 

Doc

Yes, guns for Open division in USPSA/IPSC are expensive. But that's one division. You can start in Production with a Glock, M&P with holster and mag pouches for much less. 

Other shooters underestimate how difficult it is to shoot current SASS stages at the speed that some cowboy shooters are capable of. But, shooting very fast at 5 yard large open targets with handguns and 10 yard large open targets with rifles is not the shooting challenge they are looking for.

As far as the clothing requirements, I've had many discussions in person and on other shooting forums.  You can explain 10 times to someone about what the actual minimum requirements are and they still can't get it out of their head that you have to dress up with all the chaps, vests, cuffs, scarves, spurs etc. that they think are required.

Remember the show Cowboys? That is how I learned about it and fell in love with it. Watching Tequila and the many guests on the show go over SASS related topics was wonderful. 

I think YouTube or other video platforms are the way to gain exposure these days.  

38 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Incidentally (and you probably already knew this), that's a club where I am MD.

I suspected but didn't know for sure.

38 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

The club is doing fine.  Neither growing nor shrinking, though I do nothing in the way of marketing.  It's also a club that only shoots on 5th weekend days, so it's not a monthly, which means it's harder to plan for.  I do see a ton of smiles on shooters faces. 

Doc

Good. I see a lot of smiling faces at every cowboy club I go to around here (TN/KY).

Why not a monthly?

Would the club have folded altogether if the SASS affiliation had been maintained and rules followed?

Do you think SASS as a whole would take off again if we allowed movement and add some features from other sports(shooting around obstacles, no hit targets, etc.); keeping in mind that we maintain the core of SASS(dress, guns, most rules, categories, etc.)

Just now, Tyrel Cody said:

I suspected but didn't know for sure.

Good. I see a lot of smiling faces at every cowboy club I go to around here (TN/KY).

Why not a monthly?

Would the club have folded altogether if the SASS affiliation had been maintained and rules followed?

Do you think SASS as a whole would take off again if we allowed movement and add some features from other sports(shooting around obstacles, no hit targets, etc.); keeping in mind that we maintain the core of SASS(dress, guns, most rules, categories, etc.)

The club has been in existence for well over a decade, shooting 5th weekend days.  It's never been a monthly.  The 5th weekend was selected as there were never any local matches on the 5th weekend.  Every other weekend of the month has a cowboy match in the area, and there was no desire to conflict with existing clubs.

As for whether or not the club would have folded, I don't know.  There wasn't anyone else that was willing to jump in and be MD.  And I didn't want to run a match that was the same as all of the other matches in the area.  Frankly, the format is getting old (that's my opinion).

I don't know if those additional elements would help SASS grow or not.  I do know that they open up a world of possibilities for variety in stage design.  Other clubs would have to experiment with the format at a grassroots level and do some marketing to find out.

Doc

So if we're not emulating a John Wayne or Clint Eastwood character or Wyatt Earp, Ike Clanton, Billy the Kid, etc., why exactly are we dressing up?  I'm not pretending to be anyone else when I'm shooting (or not), and I just consider it part of the sport/hobby, but why are we REALLY dressing up in old west clothes?  Why do we have start lines and props based on western movies and shows?  (I don't mean this rhetorically.)

As far as the other things I said, I don't like them either, and frankly, I hope I'm wrong.  I love this sport and I hope it lasts forever, but I believe in being realistic and with few exceptions, I believe the old western shows were the main force behind most of our shooters desire to become cowboy action shooters.  There is still a large untapped group of like minded individuals out there who do not know about cowboy action shooting and THEY should be our target market.  

Perhaps the western video games will bring new interest, but I still think those numbers will be limited.

Ya'll remember New Coke don't you?  They had the brilliant idea to change their formula to a new and IMPROVED drink nobody liked and they lost costumers that they've never gotten back.  Let's avoid their mistake.

I'm certainly not against all change.  For instance, I like Doc's ideas...

16 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I'd prefer you didn't leave it be.

I appreciate your input.

And I would be curious what you would hold up as inviolate and untouchable.

Unlike some - I have no issue with competing viewpoints.

I want what's best for our game and its future (even if that is not exactly what i feel is best for me)

And as i said in the very first post - if the idea is good enough; I have no moral aversion to stealing it and claiming the position for myself. 

I think that perhaps I'm not making myself clear, or we just fundamentally disagree, or both.  It's immaterial what my untouchables are because I'm just one person and it would be 'stoopid' to  make SASS wide decisions based on what one person wants. 

But, since you asked, a few of my untouchables would be, there must be an overall winner, a new rimfire category could not compete for overall, and no double actions or semi-autos. 

13 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Fantastic input Doc.

I think we can all agree on the need for marketing. 

And as Phantom has pointed out - proper and targeted marketing or we are screaming into the void.

Out of all the folks within SASS; someone has to be able to direct, assist or point us in the right direction.

I think most of the other points come down to enticing folks (from other disciplines) to participate, because of the (perceived) relative ease of our game.

Though, I wonder if upping the "challenge" in our game "possibly" drives away existing shooters and loses some of our appeal as an entry level, family friendly game. 

And we have to figure out where our growth should/ can/ may come from.

Existing casual shooters or folks shooting other disciplines or even from folks currently outside the firearms community?

But no principle...

(As it pertains to a game)

NONE, should be inviolate and everything should be on the table.

But because we are viewed as an entry level shooting game by many...

(And I've often said it myself - maybe I'm wrong)

It would be interesting research to find out how many SASS shooters were experienced firearms competitors prior to SASS vs how many became competition shooters via SASS. 

I completely disagree with that statement, and I contend there's no rational basis for taking that approach.  That approach assumes that there is nothing special that's an integral part of our game, anything can be changed and it can still be CAS.  No way!

3 hours ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

So if we're not emulating a John Wayne or Clint Eastwood character or Wyatt Earp, Ike Clanton, Billy the Kid, etc., why exactly are we dressing up?  I'm not pretending to be anyone else when I'm shooting (or not), and I just consider it part of the sport/hobby, but why are we REALLY dressing up in old west clothes?  Why do we have start lines and props based on western movies and shows?  (I don't mean this rhetorically.)

As far as the other things I said, I don't like them either, and frankly, I hope I'm wrong.  I love this sport and I hope it lasts forever, but I believe in being realistic and with few exceptions, I believe the old western shows were the main force behind most of our shooters desire to become cowboy action shooters.  There is still a large untapped group of like minded individuals out there who do not know about cowboy action shooting and THEY should be our target market.  

Perhaps the western video games will bring new interest, but I still think those numbers will be limited.

Ya'll remember New Coke don't you?  They had the brilliant idea to change their formula to a new and IMPROVED drink nobody liked and they lost costumers that they've never gotten back.  Let's avoid their mistake.

I'm certainly not against all change.  For instance, I like Doc's ideas...

This!  My contention is that there are aspects of the game that cannot be changed without transforming the game into something that many of us would rather not play.  I think it's incumbent on those who seek to make changes to identify the core elements of the game that shouldn't be changed.  Perhaps for you there are no such elements, but for others there certainly are.

I am still new'ish to CAS and will be celebrating my 2 year anniversary the first weekend in August.  When I first joined, I could not find much info on social media.  Let's face it, this is where people look for information now.  Facebook alone has over 2 Billion people signed up.  2 BILLION!  Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc. are all there and have people just searching around for something to take up their extra time. 

SASS MUST adopt and utilize this media to the fullest extent.  No matter your opinion(s) of these platforms, this is where people congregate.  SASS should hire some staff to do full time social media marketing.  This is the future and and unless we want our sport to go away, we must adapt to this new way of communication.

I started a Facebook group to promote the Clubs in Florida and , at first, the response was mixed.  Some people liked it and A LOT of people did not.  But a little over a year later, the concept has caught on.  We have recruited numerous new shooters from that one small group alone.  There are some other much much larger groups (with thousands of members)  and they have recruited many many more new shooters.  If SASS were to do this on a national and eventually international level, the results could be very much worth the investment of time and money.  There are plenty of SASS members who have the experience and motivation  to do this. 

One thing I've found to be very effective are short (less than 2 minute) promotional videos.  These can be shared across all social media platforms and catch the (short) attention spans of most people.  I have seen this technique used in many different ways and it is highly effective.  The more professional the production, the more effective they are. 

If SASS does nothing else, they should adopt a centralized and concentrated social media presence.  The cost would be nominal compared to traditional advertising media and the reach is far greater.

the OTJ

16 minutes ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

There are plenty of SASS members who have the experience and motivation  to do this. 

And it likely wouldn't cost SASS a penny. These folks just would need:

1. Permission

2. Access

3. Some guidance from the board.

16 minutes ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

One thing I've found to be very effective are short (less than 2 minute) promotional videos.  These can be shared across all social media platforms and catch the (short) attention spans of most people.  I have seen this technique used in many different ways and it is highly effective.  The more professional the production, the more effective they are. 

If SASS does nothing else, they should adopt a centralized and concentrated social media presence.  The cost would be nominal compared to traditional advertising media and the reach is far greater.

the OTJ

Agree wholeheartedly. 

I took over my clubs web site last year and jumped in to help with the Facebook page. We have folks coming back now and a few new faces too. 

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

And it likely wouldn't cost SASS a penny. These folks just would need:

1. Permission

2. Access

3. Some guidance from the board.

Agree wholeheartedly. 

I took over my clubs web site last year and jumped in to help with the Facebook page. We have folks coming back now and a few new faces too. 

There would need to be a budget of some time to maximize the effectiveness.  This could be used for some of the following:

1) Promote Posts to reach more people

2) Pay a professional design company to make graphics

3) Pay a company to make weekly short promotional videos

Free works but the reach is diminished compared to paying for the promotions of these social media sites.  

1 minute ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

There would need to be a budget of some time to maximize the effectiveness.  This could be used for some of the following:

1) Promote Posts to reach more people

2) Pay a professional design company to make graphics

3) Pay a company to make weekly short promotional videos

Free works but the reach is diminished compared to paying for the promotions of these social media sites.  

Not really disagreeing,  but I imagine there might be some graphic designers in our midst(not me) as well as some videographers. One of the main reasons I hear that SASS doesn't market is money. I believe they should canvas the members and ask for help, before doing anything. 

Let me address one point that seems to be confusing some.

We are COWBOY.  Period.

When I say EVERYTHING should be on the table for discussion - that should be clear that means EVERYTHING within and under the purview of COWBOY.

Using Possums example - when Coke changed their formula; they continued making a brown sugary soft drink.  It was a lesser quality brown sugary soft drink, but a soft drink nonetheless.

They did not stop making soft drinks and start making lawn darts.

No one (at least not me and no one I have seen) is advocating SASS becomes trap shooting or IPSC - adds semi autos and red dot sights - or starts being competitive lawn darts.

I would fight vehemently SASS ceasing to be cowboy.

Implying "everything on the table" means a desire to do away with "cowboy" is (in my opinion) being deliberately misleading and counter productive to open dialogue.

12 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Not really disagreeing,  but I imagine there might be some graphic designers in our midst(not me) as well as some videographers. One of the main reasons I hear that SASS doesn't market is money. I believe they should canvas the members and ask for help, before doing anything. 

How much shall we increase our current level of donations/contributions to this private for profit corporation?

Phantom

2 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

How much shall we increase our current level of donations/contributions to this private for profit corporation?

Phantom

However much each individual wants to. If you feel like you're giving too much already then say no; does it really hurt to ask for help?

Just another thing that was an '"extra" draw to the sport is the overall comradery. In other shooting sports if you break a gun you are usually done. You won't be getting any help from the competition. In SASS it was just the opposite. People bend over backwards to lend you a backup gun if something happens, help you out on the stages and a host of other things. I would hate to lose that by turning the sport into another run of the mill shooting sport. 

I assume we are in good hands though.  

13 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

However much each individual wants to. If you feel like you're giving too much already then say no; does it really hurt to ask for help?

Perhaps you're missing my point... Why are you not asking SASS this question?

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Perhaps you're missing my point... Why are you not asking SASS this question?

Yep, went right over my head :lol:

51 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Let me address one point that seems to be confusing some.

We are COWBOY.  Period.

When I say EVERYTHING should be on the table for discussion - that should be clear that means EVERYTHING within and under the purview of COWBOY.

Using Possums example - when Coke changed their formula; they continued making a brown sugary soft drink.  It was a lesser quality brown sugary soft drink, but a soft drink nonetheless.

They did not stop making soft drinks and start making lawn darts.

No one (at least not me and no one I have seen) is advocating SASS becomes trap shooting or IPSC - adds semi autos and red dot sights - or starts being competitive lawn darts.

I would fight vehemently SASS ceasing to be cowboy.

Implying "everything on the table" means a desire to do away with "cowboy" is (in my opinion) being deliberately misleading and counter productive to open dialogue.

OK then what is Cowboy?  I agree with you that we are Cowboy!  For sure!  But what makes the game Cowboy for me is not necessarily what makes the game Cowboy for someone else.  If we don't recognize that people value the game for different reasons we risk focusing on what we as individuals view as Cowboy and potentially alienating and losing members.  I don't see why that is counter productive to open dialogue.  It seems like that's what we're having now.  You're the one who said that "EVERYTHING should be on the table under the purview of COWBOY" but Cowboy hasn't been defined.  

Speaking only for myself, if the costume requirements were relaxed further I wouldn't care, but many others would.  If target distances and sizes were mandated, some cowboys would like that, others wouldn't.   I would love to be able to shoot on the move and I don't think it would take away from Cowboy, but that's just my opinion.  Would we lose people if we moved to that? 

Possum Skinner said it. "why are we REALLY dressing up in old west clothes?  Why do we have start lines and props based on western movies and shows?" 

What are the core principles of Cowboy Action Shooting? 

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

None for me. I can't see their books as they  are a private business so I will assume the Wild Bunch has made and continues to make a load of money from SASS members and sponsors. I hear they have a nice ranch. 

28 minutes ago, Mister Badly said:

None for me. I can't see their books as they  are a private business so I will assume the Wild Bunch has made and continues to make a load of money from SASS members and sponsors. I hear they have a nice ranch. 

That's not of concern to me. They deserve their rewards. However, the corporation itself should be responsible for the type of expenditures referenced earlier.

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Why are you not asking SASS this question?

If this the one you're wanting me to answer, then my response is: I just haven't really thought about it. I suppose I could just call up Misty and ask her why SASS isn't asking the members for help with marketing, videography, web site/software, etc.

If it's the other question, I answered it: it's up to the individual to determine how much(or how much more) they want to put in it.

4 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

If this the one you're wanting me to answer, then my response is: I just haven't really thought about it. I suppose I could just call up Misty and ask her why SASS isn't asking the members for help with marketing, videography, web site/software, etc.

If it's the other question, I answered it: it's up to the individual to determine how much(or how much more) they want to put in it.

Why do you think it's the membership that should supply these functions?  Are you suggesting that they should supply them at no cost?

Phantom

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Why do you think it's the membership that should supply these functions?  Are you suggesting that they should supply them at no cost?

Phantom

I'm not suggesting that we(the membership) should, but someone needs to. I wouldn't charge them anything myself, but that's just me.

16 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I'm not suggesting that we(the membership) should, but someone needs to. I wouldn't charge them anything myself, but that's just me.

Well dang, let me get some of that free Labor. Need to develope some promotional materials... But sorry, no revenue sharing.

Phantom

Archived