SASS Wire Forum

First Bison in Yellowstone, Now Horse in Assateague

Subdeacon Joe

Why don't people understand the "WILD" in wild animals? That horse wasn't gonna take any guff off anyone!

Nice job ,horse.

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

But it is painful!

As it should be!

2 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

There is no vaccine, yet, for the corona virus.

There never will be a vaccine for "stupid" (more's the pity).

Many lessons, in life, are painful.

This is just another proof that age does not equal wisdom.

W.K. 

There is a cure for stupid however it is almost always fatal. 

Those wild horses were just warning the people to stay back because they don’t fully trust the people.  They’re being sure the people don’t do something like trying to get a restraint on them to catch them.  It was an aimed, lower kind of kick (Not damaging) they would use on a fellow herd member to warn them off.  Those horses can kick much, much harder than that.  The people put themselves in the physical position where the horse could easily kick them.  The horses aren’t afraid, just cautious.  They would be easy to get to learn to trust you.  

Cat Brules

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

There is a cure for stupid however it is almost always fatal. 

Exactly. Though you put it much nicer than what I was thinking. :D

On 7/2/2020 at 9:15 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

And cartoons, YogiBear is far more dangerous than Yosemite Sam and Elmer Fudd.

Yup.

You get some city folks that think a paved 2 lane road without streetlights is 'out there in the wilderness' turned a loose around actual wild animals and it will eventually end in tears because they don't have a point of reference based in the real world and have been taught since childhood that all wild animals are cuddly little beasties that just want a hug.

On 7/2/2020 at 9:47 AM, Dutch Wheeler said:

No matter how hard we may try, stupid is not fixable!

But with enough time and duct tape, you can keep it quiet and in one place!:P

17 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

No matter how hard we may try, stupid is not fixable!

That horse can fix stupid - and almost did.

When I was growing up, you couldn't get on Assateague Island unless you had a boat or swam. The Government, in its eminent wisdom decided to put in roads so people could "enjoy" the wild beaches. 

The Ponies of Assateague belong to the Chincoteague Fire Department (Ponies were immortalized in the book "Misty of Chincoteague"). Every year several herds are rounded up and swim from Assateague Island to Chincoteague Island, penned and the colts sold for the benefit of the Fire Department. The Fire Department provides medical and other services to insure the good health of the ponies. The swim occurs on the Fourth of July weekend each year.

The Ponies are use to humans but do not tolerate close contact well. Much like the animals in Yellowstone.

I had the pleasure and honor to ride in the roundup two years when I was a grown teenager (17/18). Believe me, these ponies can defend themselves with a lot more than a kick in the pants. (Or in the case of the guy trying to pet one, in the groin)

We allowed the idiot tourist on the island. They are now learning the lessons of how life works when you aren't wanted.

Maybe we can't fix stupid, but that pony sure can. Especially when you come near a foal.

Here in Las Vegas we have a"scenic loop" near the city where you can drive and see the red rocks and an occasional Burro. The Burros are a lot more tolerant than the ponies of Assateague, but they can kick but are much more likely to bite. People stop along the road and feed the Burros with whatever they have, and the Burros love it........ Till they decide they don't. 

I saw one idiot putting his 1 year old up on the Burros back to ride it. He got lucky.

I have property about 45 miles from Las Vegas at the base of the mountains. The Bureau of Land Management has relocated wild horses to the area and the tourists now come up to "see" the horses. Many have regretted the decision to get out of their cars to "pet" the horses.

Except in pens where the BLM keep wild horses rounded up to protect the open range flora, you can't get very close to the Mustang herds here in Northern NV.   The closest I've been to them was on a quad trip from Washoe Valley up over Mt. Davidson to Virginia City for a couple of bloody mary's at the Bucket of Blood saloon.   Got within 10 feet of the stallion before he moved away.    The couple of herds that hang out in Virginia City seem to not to be afraid of humans; however, they won't let you walk up on them.

P.S.  Those tourists would have been more successful shooing away the ponies by waving a towel the the pony's face.

Horses are prey animals! Their first instinct is to RUN to protect themselves!
Do not ever approach a horse you don’t know, especially one that has been running free (wild), from behind.
Don’t approach them from behind!  Don’t approach them from behind!

Unless the horse knows you pretty well, they will generally always turn away from you and point their butt toward you.
Back away!  Go around, and hold your hand out.  If they have any interest (“Is that a cookie?”), they might come over to see you to see if you have something for them,
It is always best to just leave them alone, unless they know you pretty well or you have reason to be very close to them.

TOUCHING is a big part of horse handling.  They have to know you do not intend to hurt them.  It is the trust factor.  For a horse that knows you, you should be able to touch them gently and friendly, all over their body.  With ALL my horses I can touch them anywhere......anywhere.  I’ve taken care of them and they, me.

NEVER strike/hit a horse in the face, nose, head, ears.  Don’t hit them at all for petty reasons, or almost ANY reason.  

Stay away from their ears, unless you know!  

“Listen” to them.  I can actually read their mind and they read mine.  You can tune yourself in to them and connect.  I know that much is true.

Horses can “cow kick” sideways with their rear legs.

Do not surprise a horse while it is eating, especially if it’s got its little head inside a feeder.  It can’t see you and it frightens them.  

If it’s your horse, it will be careful with you, but it’s first instinct is to run.

There’s A LOT MORE.

Dont ever be too bold around a horse, especially one you don’t know.

There’s a methodology to approaching a horse you know and one you don’t know.  You must respect a horse.......individually.

Be careful.

Cat Brules

14 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Do not ever approach a horse you don’t know, especially one that has been running free (wild), from behind.

NEVER strike/hit a horse in the face, nose, head, ears.  Don’t hit them at all for petty reasons, or almost ANY reason.  

Guess this protester did not get the memo.

Archived