SASS Wire Forum

- - - N - O . - - .

Who out there still remembers their Morse Code :FlagAm: alphabet by heart :wub:, and then finds occasions to use it?

Forgotten just about everything. BTW it’s International Code, not Morse, although everybody calls it Morse it’s obsolete.

AFBD2447-E543-43FC-AB25-3F36B70A0966.png

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

International Morse Code.

2020_07_01_07_34_59.jpg.5768126dbb96f80855702a7169aef26b.jpg

The hair has been successfully split. :)

One of my older uncles was a telegrapher for the D&RGW railroad, made a good wage for the times, starting in the early 1900s.  He retired in the 1950’s, lived comfortably into his 80’s.  He said it was really an easy job, although he went to bed at 8 and got up at 3 AM every day.  He could tell who was sending him a message just by the rhythm of the incoming code.  I have no idea if telegraphers are still used/employed  anywhere.  Anyone know?

When I wore a younger mans clothes I learned Morse code by tapping out "Bens Best Bent Wire"

Havent had reason to do anything but tap that tune on the desk when I'm bored - more than 20 years now...

I understand that the military discontinued using the code some years ago.  Apparently they thought/think modern technology replaces the need.  IMHO, that is shortsighted.  American POW's in 'Nam used to communicate with each other by tapping some sort of code, but I don't know if it was Morse or not.  I knew some when I was a Boy Scout, and could pick out the dit-dah (A) and the dah-dit (N) for flying navigational legs around ADF sites back in college.

In the last century, my Dad had let his radio-telephone engineer (ham) license lapse for so long, he had to take the CW exam again.

He asked me to write a program for his Atari 800 where he could type in a phrase, and have the speaker play it back as dits and dahs.
He practiced for awhile, and passed his exam.  He was in his late 70s or early 80s when he passed the exam.

32 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I'm trying to make sense of the title of this thread.

ON TOP

On top of what?

Alpo,

You know me by now, always experimenting so it's something I am testing for the future.... B)

Toy Story - To Infinity and Beyond Quote Minimal Greetings Card ...

Will let everyone know when we get there! ;)

In high school, as the band took the field for the half time performance, we played    . _ _    .   ...   _    as we spelled out WEST, for West High School

I used it as a cryptologic analyst in the Marine Corps. At that time, all cryptos used it. I could identify the sender every time. I briefly had a job as a  USCG licensed commercial ship's radio officer. I bought some American Radio Relay League cassette taps and discs. I still use them on occasion, especially on long trips. The last time I used the code was on the 100th Anniversary of the Scouts. For that year, the BSA ressurected several obsolete Merit Badges from the past. Up here in Farthest North Idaho, I have no one to send and receive messages and radio reception is iffy.

I still enjoy it.  :P

20 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I’m guessing the audience in the stands was perplexed?

High school kids who that went to the concession stands and/or restrooms? Never looked up into the stands, but I doubt we played before much of a crowd.^_^

Archived