SASS Wire Forum

Who owns SASS?

Currahee

7 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Oh please...

Yeah...like the only reason to retire from a BOD is because of liability concerns...

God I love Social Media.

Phantom

No worse than you speculating about a sale.   (But Misty hasn't corrected me just yet. ) 

8 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

That's correct.   It just seemed more than coincidental for all the members of  any board to retire at once.  Not that it matters to anybody except their appointed replacements.  

The Wild Bunch is not your ordinary corporate board of directors. Where else will you find a board, the majority of which, serve together for near 40 years...

8 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

No worse than you speculating about a sale.   (But Misty hasn't corrected me just yet. ) 

No she hasn't. She said no " outside sale"

2 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

That would be a different way of running things.

The Board is usually elected by the Stock Holders. Board members usually bring an understanding of the operation and in addition bring other expertise into the corporate structure. Large corporations will usually hire individuals with "hooks" in other corporations in order to grow a consortium, but SASS isn't big enough or have excess dollars for such individuals.

The CEO is a paid employee of the Corporation and usually serves at the recommendation or the pleasure of the Board/Stockholders.

That is not always true, It depends on the structure of the company and besides, in this case, the current WB are the stockholders as I understand it.

If I were a betting man, which I am not, I would bet that there will be a large number of resume's reviewed, a small number interviewed, and from that a smaller number nominated/ elected or appointed to the Board.  It would not surprise me however, to see one or two long time members with a long history within SASS put up for election by the membership.  I envision something like this

CEO: Misty Moodshine

CFO: Appointed Position
7 BOD Members: Appointed Positions
2 BOD Members: Elected By Membership

11 Members with the CEO being the Tie Breaker.  The ratio of Appointed too Elected Board Members would evolve as time goes on, but I certainly wouldn't expect to see a cohesive BOD selected randomly on the first go.  Heck, this group has been arguing about Rank Points vs Total Time for at least the last 30 years!  :rolleyes:

In closing, I want to take this opportunity to personally thank the Wild Bunch for everything they have done, and continue to do, for this Game we call SASS.  I have had the distinct pleasure to meet and speak with The Judge, Justice Lily Kate, U.S. Grant, Tex, Cat Ballou, Hip Shot, Wild Shot, Coyote Calhoon, Misty Moonshine, and a few others of the WB over the years.  If there is one thing I can say about them with 100% certainty is that each and everyone of them Love This Game!  They did not always agree with each other, and they did not always agree with my opinions of how things should go (No Big Surprise There :P) but I have 100% certainty that everything they did was what they believed at that time was in the best interest of SASS.

As they step away from the day to day operations and concerns of SASS and leave it to the next generation to carry on the traditions, I hope they recognize the amazing thing that they have accomplished and the 100,000 plus lives that they have positively affected.

God Bless each and every one of them and may they spend their remaining years (many more I hope!) enjoying the game they created and letting others worry about the details.

Happy Trails to one and all,

Dogmeat Dad & Lil Feathers

AV_Cowboys_at_Sunset_02_013017_40-27_102

7 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

How on earth have we managed to drag a "one post" question/answer out to two pages?????  Sheesh

Because that is what we always do.

51 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

That's correct.   It just seemed more than coincidental for all the members of  any board to retire at once.  Not that it matters to anybody except their appointed replacements.  

Most of the WB are in their 80’s or close to it I’m pretty sure the covid-19 related shutdown of EOT was very stressful for everyone involved in the decision making. Misty is the CEO of SASS and the front person for the decision. Knowing the Judge, Tex, Cat, Wild Shot, Hip Shot and the others I can tell you that that was one of the toughest calls they ever had to make and to a person probably spent many sleepless nights leading up to it and after the call was made. Take your tinfoil hat off, step back and see what they put together.

46 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Most of the WB are in their 80’s or close to it I’m pretty sure the covid-19 related shutdown of EOT was very stressful for everyone involved in the decision making. Misty is the CEO of SASS and the front person for the decision. Knowing the Judge, Tex, Cat, Wild Shot, Hip Shot and the others I can tell you that that was one of the toughest calls they ever had to make and to a person probably spent many sleepless nights leading up to it and after the call was made. Take your tinfoil hat off, step back and see what they put together.

Thanks for clarifying.  As I indicated, I was basically ignorant a bout the WB.  I was just noting how unusual the en-mass retirement was.  

Do you know a good source for cheap tinfoil cowboy hats (think Steampunk?) 

4 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

That would be a different way of running things.

The Board is usually elected by the Stock Holders. Board members usually bring an understanding of the operation and in addition bring other expertise into the corporate structure. Large corporations will usually hire individuals with "hooks" in other corporations in order to grow a consortium, but SASS isn't big enough or have excess dollars for such individuals.

The CEO is a paid employee of the Corporation and usually serves at the recommendation or the pleasure of the Board/Stockholders.

My reading led me to the understanding the new "Board" would be serving in a advisory capacity.  My unstanding could be entirely wrong.  Membership will find out in due time.

During this reorganization, what's to stop a region, say the Southeast, from spinning off? SESS? I have only been a member for about a year and love the people and the sport but what does the national organization offer the members in return for membership dollars and match contributions?

14 minutes ago, Mister Badly said:

During this reorganization, what's to stop a region, say the Southeast, from spinning off? SESS? I have only been a member for about a year and love the people and the sport but what does the national organization offer the members in return for membership dollars and match contributions?

Hang on and let me get some popcorn.....BRB! :o

Kajun

2 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Thanks for clarifying.  As I indicated, I was basically ignorant a bout the WB.  I was just noting how unusual the en-mass retirement was.  

Do you know a good source for cheap tinfoil cowboy hats (think Steampunk?) 

If you want to know more about the Wild Bunch go to the SASS home page and bring up the July 2020 Cowboy Chronicle and scroll past Misty’s article. Very interesting reading and it may help you understand why they are making the decisions that they are making. Read Skinny’s piece also.

27 minutes ago, Mister Badly said:

For one thing...... a good place to shoot.

If you've ever noticed, nearly ALL of our shooting venues are shared with other shooting disciplines on the other 3 Saturdays of the Month.

And my guess is that SASS member clubs will still have priority on 'their' designated Saturday.   Therefore, a 'SESS' club

will have to make themselves a new shooting range, etc.....  

AND, although its just a guess of mine, it would be hard to grow a shooting club in the South when the matches are held only on

a Sunday.

I can't foresee many SASS members or SASS affiliated clubs spinning off unless some real butthead decisions are manifested

by the new leaders.   And I can't foresee our new leaders shooting theyowndangself in the foot by making butthead decisions.

My saddle rides low to the grown, but thats my view from it.

Hope to shoot with you again soon, Mr.Badly.

..........Widder

55 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Yadda yadda some other stuff.....

Yadda yadda some other stuff

..........Widder

Shoot low boys, Widder's ridin' a Shetland pony! :lol::D;)

Kajun

3 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

If you want to know more about the Wild Bunch go to the SASS home page and bring up the July 2020 Cowboy Chronicle and scroll past Misty’s article. Very interesting reading and it may help you understand why they are making the decisions that they are making. Read Skinny’s piece also.

Will do.  Thanks.  

16 hours ago, Mister Badly said:

Any club can spin off anytime they want. They have always been able to do that. SASS has no direct hold on any club and never has. They own the Name of the game. Since the beginning, the main thing that they have provided has been the Organization. The desire to be a part of that Organization has been what's kept things together. Sure.. someone can break away, but they would most likely continue to follow and maintain the current rules and game structure that SASS has worked to provide. I have watched as many things in the Game have changed over the years. Some changes were for the better, some not as good. I know that nothing stays the same for ever. The membership at large is heavily composed of "Older" folks. Most of them just want to play out their hand as long as they are able. There are a few "Hot Dogs" that think the game is about them, but they are little more than a fart in the wind... they will pass. The WB has more than earned a break from the strain of trying to keep things afloat. They have seen us through many storms, and we have all benefited from their guidance. I am and will be eternally grateful to them for the Wonderful Fantasy that they gave us many years ago. It has provided me and many folks like me with a lifetime of joy by providing us with an avenue of escape from our daily grind. There is no doubt that the new administration is facing a storm right now, but I believe that they will rise to the occasion. There is one thing that is Paramount to all of this, and everyone should remember it. It is something that I use to say when I was the Chairman of the ROC, and it is something that is just as true today. "The Game Belongs to the Members". I don't care who owns the Name, We, the members, own the Game, and NOBODY can take it from us. We can play it as long as we are able and willing, and I plan to do just that. 

Snakebite

20 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Hang on and let me get some popcorn.....BRB! :o

Kajun

I’ll take real butter on mine

On 7/2/2020 at 8:45 PM, Mister Badly said:

I don't see this as a complete overhaul or hostile take over. I'm sure that whoever is in the position would want to keep things as close to the same as possible. That is as long as Rolan Krapps isn't in charge. We'd all be shootin' Steampunk.

UPDATE: 7/7/2020  After reading comments on other similar topic posts, I'm beginning to have a slightly different opinion.

23 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

For one thing...... a good place to shoot.

If you've ever noticed, nearly ALL of our shooting venues are shared with other shooting disciplines on the other 3 Saturdays of the Month.

And my guess is that SASS member clubs will still have priority on 'their' designated Saturday.   Therefore, a 'SESS' club

will have to make themselves a new shooting range, etc.....  

AND, although its just a guess of mine, it would be hard to grow a shooting club in the South when the matches are held only on

a Sunday.

I can't foresee many SASS members or SASS affiliated clubs spinning off unless some real butthead decisions are manifested

by the new leaders.   And I can't foresee our new leaders shooting theyowndangself in the foot by making butthead decisions.

Hope to shoot with you again soon, Mr.Badly.

..........Widder

There have been at least 4 "spin offs" of SASS in the past 30 years.  The First was Old West Shooting Association started by Bill Hahn - a former leader of SASS - His was One event a year  in Raton New Mexico -  Something like 36 stages and used just one pistol if I recall correctly.

The second was NCOWS (still exists today but quite small relatively and very regional.  They allow a lot more types of firearms and isn't as much of a competition.

The third was WASA - This was started by a group from the old CAS City wire that predates the SASS wire.  It was a non profit and lasted about 2-3 years.

The forth is Western 3 Gun - This also still exists but in a much smaller capacity and allows more freedom of movement when shooting.

11 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

There have been at least 4 "spin offs" of SASS in the past 30 years.  The First was Old West Shooting Association started by Bill Hahn - a former leader of SASS - His was One event a year  in Raton New Mexico -  Something like 36 stages and used just one pistol if I recall correctly.

The second was NCOWS (still exists today but quite small relatively and very regional.  They allow a lot more types of firearms and isn't as much of a competition.

The third was WASA - This was started by a group from the old CAS City wire that predates the SASS wire.  It was a non profit and lasted about 2-3 years.

The forth is Western 3 Gun - This also still exists but in a much smaller capacity and allows more freedom of movement when shooting.

None of these attempts at alternative western shooting sports gained the popularity of SASS.  We need to keep SASS as healthy as possible to continue enjoying the international sport.  SASS faces headwinds: an aging demographic, periodic ammunition component shortages and now match restrictions due to the pandemic.  Recruitment of new shooters remains essential.  I accidentally recruited a family member to the sport.  I took my younger sister who was visiting me to a match.  She fell in love with the people, the shooting and the costumes and is now preparing to join a SASS club out-of-state.

In the summer of 1995, when I joined SASS, I asked a SASS member, "What is Cowboy Action Shooting?"   His reply was "It's a social event interrupted by gunfire!"  "If you are not a sociable person, then maybe you should play some other game."  His words were what got me into this "game" and have kept me in this "game" for 25 years.   There have been ups and downs in our game for all these years.  We lost folks during the economic crunch in 2008 and the "Corona" problem has caused us some problems.  but,  we are still here today and will be here tomorrow.  

Hey Snakebite.

You hit the nail for me.

I agree, play your game within the framework provided.

Good treatise,  thank you,

Ol'  4

On 7/2/2020 at 10:23 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

...I can't foresee many SASS members or SASS affiliated clubs spinning off unless some real butthead decisions are manifested

by the new leaders.   And I can't foresee our new leaders shooting theyowndangself in the foot by making butthead decisions...

I agree.  My impression of the current CEO is that she has her head screwed on right.  Now back when The Chiseler thought he was the CEO...

On 7/4/2020 at 7:05 AM, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

None of these attempts at alternative western shooting sports gained the popularity of SASS.  We need to keep SASS as healthy as possible to continue enjoying the international sport.  SASS faces headwinds: an aging demographic, periodic ammunition component shortages and now match restrictions due to the pandemic.  Recruitment of new shooters remains essential.  I accidentally recruited a family member to the sport.  I took my younger sister who was visiting me to a match.  She fell in love with the people, the shooting and the costumes and is now preparing to join a SASS club out-of-state.

Thanks Captain Obvious - that was my point :)

Seriously Ed - SASS has an enduring appeal and organization that none of the others had.  I was attempting to answer the comments about an "SESS".

I feel the most compelling argument is that most of us grew up in the heyday of westerns.  In 1959 there were 29 prime time westerns on television.   We are dealing with young people that don't even know what a western is.   Young people that shoot today are interested in EBRs and the like.

Just now, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Seriously Ed - SASS has an enduring appeal and organization that none of the others had.  I was attempting to answer the comments about an "SESS".

I feel the most compelling argument is that most of us grew up in the heyday of westerns.  In 1959 there were 29 prime time westerns on television.   We are dealing with young people that don't even know what a western is.   Young people that shoot today are interested in EBRs and the like.

We are in profound agreement and no offense taken.  I think any attempt to fragment CAS is unwise.  Hope to meet you at WR next year.

On 7/2/2020 at 3:13 PM, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

The sky will not be falling, it will be ok.

After reading some comments on similar topic posts, I'm beginning to have a slightly different opinion.

On 7/3/2020 at 7:45 PM, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

I don't see this as a complete overhaul or hostile take over. I'm sure that whoever is in the position would want to keep things as close to the same as possible. That is as long as Rolan Kraps isn't in charge. We'd all be shootin' Steampunk.

Hey, What'd I do?  I just want Steampunk to be a recognized category.

Whether you shoot it or not is up to you.

Archived