SASS Wire Forum

Who owns SASS?

Currahee

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Not that unusual.  The business I work for is privately owned, but the owner doesn't run it our CEO does.

Can you wear tweed on the job?

Kajun

2 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I own 'Widdermajik',   but the Bunkhouse Boss is the CEO..... :D

..........Widder

I own Kid Rich Ent.,Inc., LTD. Shirttail Bess is the boss and CEO.

kR

I don't know Misty.   I did meet her at GOA about 4-5 years ago.

Personally, I think she has done a good job with SASS since being in her position and I don't think

we, as SASS members, will see any drastic or negative changes in operations and everything will

still run smoothly.  

I continued my SASS membership not only because of my support for SASS, but also because I've

sensed a steady hand at the helm the past few years.

I wish her well.

..........Widder

16 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

They're lucky I wear anything at all.

I bet you are popular on those Zoom meeting calls! :D

Kajun

21 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

They're lucky I wear anything at all.

See!

This is just how rumors get started.

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I own 'Widdermajik',   but the Bunkhouse Boss is the CEO..... :D

..........Widder

Isn't she also the CFO? :D

It is a California Corporation. Lots of public info available.

Google (or Duck) it if you are really interested. For instance, SASS #2 was instrumental in getting Pietta and Uberti to manufacture our firearms when on-shore manufacture became non-profitable. And I assume he made money from the effort (and gamble). but those would be in the numbers for EMF, not for SASS.

Really, does it matter? This is a great sport built by many people with some stake in the game. I pay more each year to Amazon than it costs to be a part of SASS. Does it matter who owns Amazon? More money is made by sellers on Amazon than by Amazon itself.

In the last week, I have ordered shot, bullets, powder, shells, tools, and more. Not a penny of that went to SASS. It went to people who love this sport and companies that support the Second.

31 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

It is a California Corporation. For instance, SASS #2 was instrumental in getting Pietta and Uberti to manufacture our firearms when on-shore manufacture became non-profitable. And I assume he made money from the effort (and gamble). 

:o That's a pretty wide brush you're using with that remark about #2, especially when you have no facts to back it up. 

BTW : Ruger & Colt had been making single action revolvers long before this game started.

OLG 

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I don't know Misty.   I did meet her at GOA about 4-5 years ago.

Personally, I think she has done a good job with SASS since being in her position and I don't think

we, as SASS members, will see any drastic or negative changes in operations and everything will

still run smoothly.  

I continued my SASS membership not only because of my support for SASS, but also because I've

sensed a steady hand at the helm the past few years.

I wish her well.

..........Widder

A big part of her success is that she actively shoots matches.  That gives her the perspective of a CAS competitor.  That keeps her understanding of the sport in line with ours.  Someone with an MBA who never stepped to the shooting line, heard the timer beep and shot their 19th century firearms could not do what she does.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Isn't she also the CFO? :D

Actually, she has delegated that job to me (thank goodness).

She's really bad when it comes to $$$ management. 

..........Widder

7 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Actually, she has delegated that job to me (thank goodness).

She's really bad when it comes to $$$ management. 

..........Widder

How brave we are when they cannot hear us:D

9 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

:o That's a pretty wide brush you're using with that remark about #2, especially when you have no facts to back it up. 

BTW : Ruger & Colt had been making single action revolvers long before this game started.

OLG 

I'm not sure what negative you are reading into my comment, I am praising the man for his contributions to this sport. Maybe I am misreading your response... As to where I got the information... It is worth sharing with everyone.

I came across it on the EMF company web site "about" page:

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/About-Us-d1.htm

Colt Firearms had discontinued production of the single action revolver, so in 1959, EMF acquired Great Western Arms Company, the manufacturer of the first reproduction of the famous Colt Model 1873 SAA.  In 1971, EMF incorporated; and Boyd Davis, a close family friend, joined the company.  When the strong dollar made it too costly to produce the Model 1873 in the U.S., EMF turned to Italian gun manufacturers for production, thereby pioneering the way for Italian firearm imports into the U.S.  In 1980, EMF moved to Orange County; and, Boyd Davis became President. With his love for shooting and of "Spaghetti Westerns”, Boyd co-founded and became President of Single Action Shooting Society (SASS) in 1981.  EMF has been instrumental in the growth of this popular shooting sport through its support and sponsorship over the years.  In turn, growth of SASS memberships boosted sales of Cowboy firearms. Boyd Davis aka General U.S. Grant, SASS #2, remained President of both EMF and SASS until his death in 2014.

15 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

I'm not sure what negative you are reading into my comment, I am praising the man for his contributions to this sport. Maybe I am misreading your response... As to where I got the information... It is worth sharing with everyone.

I came across it on the EMF company web site "about" page:

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/About-Us-d1.htm

I did read your post in a negative 'light', SORRY :excl:

Colt had stopped production of the SAA because of the inventory on hand, and government contracts.

Ruger was in full production.

Respectfully, 

OLG 

6 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Smacks of new liability concerns.  

Oh please...

Yeah...like the only reason to retire from a BOD is because of liability concerns...

God I love Social Media.

Phantom

I don't think that speculation with negative connotations is appropriate.  Occam's Razor, everyone of them is getting on up there in years, some are way past when most people are retired. 

The simplest assumption is that they're ready to relax and just enjoy matches. Having worked together for almost 40 years they are leaving together.  

No need for hidden agendas, secret agents, or lava bubbles under Founders Ranch, just a group of people who are stepping back after 40 years of work.

The Government defines middle age as 60 to 85. #1 is a Marine. We don't give up, we just regroup and continue the charge i another direction.  :wub:

21 hours ago, Banjo Bob said:

So they relinquish control of a business they own?

Interesting.

They didn't relinquish any control.  CEO will continue to serve at the owner's pleasure. 

16 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

It will be interesting to see who replaces them on the Board.

If understand the article correct the CEO will be appointing Board members.

3 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Smacks of new liability concerns.  

You obviously don’t know much about the WB.

2 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

If understand the article correct the CEO will be appointing Board members.

That would be a different way of running things.

The Board is usually elected by the Stock Holders. Board members usually bring an understanding of the operation and in addition bring other expertise into the corporate structure. Large corporations will usually hire individuals with "hooks" in other corporations in order to grow a consortium, but SASS isn't big enough or have excess dollars for such individuals.

The CEO is a paid employee of the Corporation and usually serves at the recommendation or the pleasure of the Board/Stockholders.

Stepping down or resigning from the Board is one thing, selling ownership is another.

And as for the founder of EMF getting Uberti to bring clones of Colts, Remington & other arms for our game, let's not negate the very real impact that Val Forgett had in initiating that effort.  EMF was importing these guns for many years before cowboy action shooting started.  Importing cowboy type guns was started LONG before cowboy action was ever dreamed up!  

4 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

You obviously don’t know much about the WB.

That's correct.   It just seemed more than coincidental for all the members of  any board to retire at once.  Not that it matters to anybody except their appointed replacements.  

Archived