SASS Wire Forum

Best ammo for clays

Trigger Mike

I used remington gold hulls for CAS and bought some for my sone who uses an over/under for the same reason, they come out easy.

What about for my son who uses a semiauto 12 gauge?  I have some winchester featherlights.  What is the best ammo for the distance clay shooting involves?  

The state gives the school Federal but barely enough for practice.   Not enough for a match.

Federal Top Guns are inexpensive and reliable. I shoot them in my 1887 for CAS. They will work just fine in a semi-auto. 

Rogers Sporting Good’s has free shipping on ammo if you buy $99 or more at a time. Works out to 2 cases. 

For skeet, pretty much any decent brand of ammo that pushes either 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz  of #8 or #9 out of the barrel around 1200 fps.  I prefer 1290 fps, but really anything between 1150 and 1300 is suitable.  Anything slower affects how much of a lead is needed and anything above 1300 the recoil out weighs any benefit to the higher velocity and prices start going up.

I've been using Herter's from the local Cabela's simply since it is the cheapest, but I've also used Walmart Federal and Winchester 100 round packs as well.

Weather and Covid-19 permitting I generally shoot 2-3 rounds of skeet every Sunday

Remington Gun Club, #9 for Skeet and #8 for trap.  Midway has a good price on them right now, and Remington has a $2 per box rebate on up to 50 boxes.

Duffield

Here's my take after shooting all kinds of clay targets for many years.

Winchester: AA's are good, but expensive. You used to be able to justify the extra by being able to reload them, but lately they seem very thin-hulled and not worth reloading. Winchester Universals are about the worst shells I have ever bought. Many failure-to-fires, odd sizes won't chamber, etc.

Remington: STS are the gold standard in all gauges. Great quality and reload forever. Just not cheap. Gun Clubs are good too, just don't get as many reloads out of them. I like them for BP, reload once and toss. 

Estates: My favorite non-reloadable shell. Tons of different configurations, I just bought some new-to-me handicap-speed 1oz in 12ga that I'm looking forward to trying at handicap trap. They all seem to be the best value in an inexpensive, reliable shell.

Federal, Rio, Herters, Fiocchi, etc: I'll buy them if Estates aren't available rather than Winchester Universals.

I also always try to buy shells from my local gun range if they have what I want. They are usually only a buck or two more and it helps support the club.

11 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Remington Gun Club, #9 for Skeet and #8 for trap.  Midway has a good price on them right now, and Remington has a $2 per box rebate on up to 50 boxes.

Duffield

Why 9 for skeet and 8 for trap?  

8 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

Why 9 for skeet and 8 for trap?  

Distances to target are different.  Skeet is shorter distances, so pattern density is better with 9’s and still enough energy to break targets. Most would argue 7.5 for handicap trap.   For 16 yardline, 8’s are fine.  

Never really found new ammo that I like , so for many years I have been reloading for Trap.

# 7.5  shot with all different brands of powder but do like Red Dot, around 1200 fps does me,I have thousands of early Winchester  hulls...just 'sayin'

19 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Duffield

That rebate is for STS's not Gun Club's.

kR

I'll be honest, in all of my years of shooting trap, if someone gave me a box of shells and I weren't allowed to look while shooting, I couldn't tell you if I was shooting 7.5s or 8s. Maybe 8s when I shot 25 yard penalty at the Grand American, but then again, I was shooting Heavy Target Loads as well.

Now, I will also say we have a couple of highly competitive Sporting Clays shooters who come into the store and will buy all the Aguila target loads we can give them. They tried it out when not much was available and now swear buy it. It is also quite inexpensive to shoot.

1 hour ago, Kid Rich said:

That rebate is for STS's not Gun Club's.

kR

I stand corrected. Thanks for catching that.

I started out with Gun Club, because it was both cheap and I wanted to reload.
The steel base is not as friendly in the MEC, as the brass base of the STS, so I switched.

I picked up six cases of STS for weekly trap, then for reloading later.
$2 per box, up to 50 boxes, dropped the price to $4.99 per box after the Bass Pro sale.

Archived