SASS Wire Forum

every day carry knife

Highwall

When I was a young buck, 16 years of age (1967) I got a job after school for 3 hours a day at a local regional wholesale hardware distributor.  One of the things I found in time in the inventory was a Buck 307 stockman knife. 

Well I just had to have it!  I think it took half of my weekly paycheck but well worth it.  

I had a snap flap leather sheath custom made for it and carried it for 50 years plus on my belt  until I retired. 

I also bought a Smith and wesson Model 34 Kit gun while I was there.

Buck307.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

12 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Very sound choices; well done.

Thanks J-Bar,  but it would be much harder today making that choice of quality since most all knives  are now made in China Pakistan or Argentina. 

I carry this CASE (U.S.A.).folder, in my pocket.

(Cat Brules)

image.jpeg.b55c7eade5c586c67159d4d2065de58b.jpeg

I carry two small swiss army knives.  I am still confounded that TSA and govt facilities have a problem with them.

71Fjo3RW0-L._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.be86a46d43905b162dbe09fc4fca01c3.jpg

I usually carry a Zero Tolerance 0350 which is made in the U.S..  Last year I decided I would not carry a knife (or gun) that had sentimental value or something expensive (relatively) or hard to replace.  Worst come to worst, I don't want a knife or gun I care about sitting in a police evidence box.  I'd rather it be something I can replace if necessary.

I have two of these.  I carry one or the other daily.  I'm a big fan of Kershaw knives.  They hold an edge, last a long time and are reasonably cost efficient.

kershaw am-3.jpg

I bought a Kershaw Silver Spur II. in 1990 and it's still in my pocket every day.  The scale are getting worn down and I may send it back to them to see if they can replace them and put a new factory "shaving sharp" edge on it.

I also have a 4"Buck folder that my kids bought for my father in 1975.  I got it when he died and I doubt he ever carried it. It's in my car or pickup when ever I go driving about.

I've carried a PUMA Deer Hunter for almost 60 years.

Weekends, wearing jeans etc, it lives on my belt in a sheath.

When I worked, I wore a suit and tie, but the Puma lived in my pocket.

It has come in handy many times, cleaning everything from moose, bear deer to small game and was REALLY handy twice.

Fortunately, on those two occasions I didn't have to clean anything. 

This has been my constant companion for over 20 years.  Actually this is my second.  5 years ago or so, I lost the original.  Must have fallen out of my pocket somewhere... I looked everywhere.  I hope whoever found it was happy with their find.  

675e4ac5-7425-4d7c-9431-1038d24e78c7.jpg.91d02ce29c05ab78bc500ffffbe4b7d6.jpg

$80 Victorinox all-purpose tool hanging from a loop long enough that the knife hangs down in my back pocket.  Don't know why TSA objects, but they do.  So when I fly, I leave it in my checked bag.  Maybe they are afraid I will unscrew the bolts holding the wings on or something!  Crosscut saw is handy for trimming dead branches from trees in my yard.  I think there are a couple of knife blades on the beast.  Most-used tool is the scissors.  Useful for trimming hangnails! ^_^

I'm notorious for losing knives.   I'm in genuine awe of you pards that have been carrying the same knife for years.  Salute!!!

I carry two small inexpensive pocket knives and a pair of pocket scissors everyday.  The scissors I'll use 10 times to every time I use one of the knives.  The broad bladed knife is for rough work and doesn't have a very sharp edge.  The thin bladed Remington knife has a razor sharp edge for fine work. 

nVNTZq.jpg

O9quu1.jpg

The silver dollar was given to me by a pard in token for shooting my first clean CAS match. ^_^

My favorite pocket shiv:

07798DE3-D3B7-4639-8A38-65956A813E04.jpeg

24D67E09-B8EB-4469-A774-D80ED2E191EF.jpeg

0FC8D00F-F035-4A88-9488-38A3A13611D3.jpeg

nice knives guys! Here in West Virginia, adults are trusted to carry automatic knives so I carry this SOG. I carry something more pedestrian when I travel....

IMG_1351.jpeg

IMG_1352.jpeg

I’ve carried a knife since my Cub Scout days sixty some years ago.

I still have all my scout knives .

For all of my years in Law Enforcement I carried a Buck 110 on my gun belt still have that one also. Since I retired I’ve carried a S&W Special Opps assisted opening model. It’s a good hard working tool and if I loose it or break it I’m out $25 bucks 

9 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Buck 307 I bought at the Navy Exchange in Millington TN in '75. 

Knife.jpg

LOL! I carry the same exact wallet.

8 think we had a thread on this subject a few weeks ago but I can’t find it.

23 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

I used to carry a Kershaw but now I carry a $15 switchblade since Texas legalized them. Very nifty looking!

Can you supply of pic of it? Curious

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

8 think we had a thread on this subject a few weeks ago but I can’t find it.

Yep, I remember. 

Found it:

26 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

How's this?

IMG_8519.jpg

IMG_8520.jpg

Very cool! Very practical for self defense but are they good for every day utilitarian use? I've never had one so don't know.

At an age of 10 my dad taught me to never leave the house without a knife. So I never did. At age 55  as a district manager at Sears I changed careers to another company  for the same position, (Dollar General) after 35 years at the once very reliable Sears in which I carried my 307 every day, Turns out the  change was a big mistake on my part.

I had a Region manager see my sheath on my belt  with my 307 and he told me I could not carry a weapon on the job. I replied by saying it was not a weapon but a useful tool. He said I could get fired if I didn't comply. It took him two years but he got me terminated for non-compliance. :unsure: No regrets, the company was totally corrupt anyway. :angry:

5 hours ago, Highwall said:

I replied by saying it was not a weapon but a useful tool.

I recently had a member of management in my department comment regarding me carrying a Victorinox multi tool in a sheath and an “illegal lock blade knife” clipped in my pocket. I politely informed him that he was not in my chain of command and though his position is at a higher level than me his opinions were not only unwelcome but uninformed. I told him he needed to learn the laws in California and to keep his Bostonian opinions of law to himself. 
I later emailed him the penal codes regarding knives and the carrying of knives  in Los Angeles County and California as well as company policies on “weapons” to show him just how uninformed he was. That shut him up. 

12 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

I used to carry a Kershaw but now I carry a $15 switchblade since Texas legalized them. Very nifty looking!

My edc is also an opener. But I don’t have it with me now as I have been in states that are fearful of fellas with them deadly West Side Story Switchblades. So I’ve got my Spyderco.

64879092-6302-42E8-AA3E-31B8302EDA83.jpeg

Archived