SASS Wire Forum

Stuck bore snake in a minnie

longcolt 14205L

6 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Instead of burning it out, plug the muzzle and pour pure Acetone into the breach and let it sit for a bit.  The Acetone will dissolve the nylon, then go from there.  If it has a wood stock, you might want to remove that first.

Dutch (and all),..........AND, comments on other suggestions:

The acetone tip will not work.  Pouring it into either end of the barrel will only “focus” or concentrate the acetone into one little spot (the very ends of the bore snake), and it will not saturate the impacted bore snake even one inch, and probably not even that far.  Further, the acetone will not dissolve the synthetic bore snake or the snake bristles anyway.  So, I suggest you don’t try it, as doing so will only E worsen the problem.

Trying to “tap” out the obstruction with a dowell and hammer will only compress the snake more, at the ends.  It won’t work.  If I tried this, I would put the barrel in a VERY tight vice, and use a VERY close fit brass rod, with a point, and a fairly heavy hammer.  BUT, the barrel will almost certainly slip the vice.....don’t try it.

Burning out the snake with torches would be disastrous!  Don’t do it!!  Getting the steel to the high temp (400 degrees F +) will compromise the barrel’s integrity.  You wouldn’t be able to control the heat, and you would have to keep the fire at it for a long time.  This is too risky.

i suggest you take the problem to a gunsmith.  He may not be equipped for it either, but give him a try anyway.  He might suggest a new barrel, but take it an listen to what he says.

Cat Brules

15 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

i suggest you take the problem to a gunsmith.  He may not be equipped for it either, but give him a try anyway.  He might suggest a new barrel, but take it an listen to what he says.

I agree.  Gunsmith are way better trained and equipped to deal with bore obstructions than most of us are.  He/She can probably solve the problem in minutes, while you wait, without need to leave the gun for weeks or months.  Asking is always easy and free.  

Asked a couple of friends and got two answers.

First one said to call the maker of the boresnake you are not the first person this has happened to..

Second one said that he removed a stuck boresnake this way.

First verify that the reason the snake got stuck is not because it had a knot in it. 

First get a can of Kroil and with the barrel standing on end fill it up.  Jeep doing this until the Kriol comes out the other end of the barrel.  You want the boresnake saturated with oil. he said that may take a while but eventually the Kroil will thoroughly wet the boresnake.

Now take a brass rod that is a close to the diameter of the barrel as you can get and using a hammer drive the boresnake out the opposite direction it was going when it first got stuck. It will not be easy but he said it will come out.

For a 5.56 or 223 get 7/32" or 5.45mm diameter rod

For 7.62 or 308 get a 9/32 or 7.4mm diameter rod.

All the above is available from McMaster-Carr

Be sure the end of the rod is flat and not rounded or pointed.

You can check your progress by putting a mark on the brass rod with a sharpie.

22 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

I'm still trying to figure out how does a Bore Snake get stuck in the first place...

What caliber is the rifle, and what caliber is the Bore Snake for?

It's too late to help the OP, but my understanding is bore snakes come in two lengths, pistol and rifle. Pistol are much shorter and should not be used on a rifle. If your bore snake body (not including the pull rope) is not longer than the barrel don't use it on that gun. OP said the bore snake was entirely in the barrel, which sounds like a pistol snake. All my snakes are longer than the barrel, after the pull rope clears the muzzle there is still some snake hanging out the breach, should the pull rope break in the barrel I could pull it out by the other end of the snake.

5 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

All my snakes are longer than the barrel, after the pull rope clears the muzzle there is still some snake hanging out the breach, should the pull rope break in the barrel I could pull it out by the other end of the snake.

Similar to sweeping a chimney.  Maintain two directions of pull. 

Why is it Longcolt was on the Wire a hour ago and has made no additional posts to this thread. Be interesting to know how he intends to resolve his screw up Plus the snake caliber used and caliber of the Minni rifle

22 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

After reading all of the replies (so far), I wish to change my offer to $15!:P

Is this offer before or after Longcolt sets the barrel on fire and melts the nylon into the grooves? 

Longcolt, after you get done drilling, acid bathing and throwing the Mini on bar-b-que, I’m in the market for Mini magazines. The AR mags I got from you are lonely and looking for friends! 

Sometimes applying vibration while pressing out an obstruction can help.  Even hard-tapping up and down the barrel with something softer like a plastic covered dead-blow hammer, while pushing on a rod can get things moving.  It could require a second set of hands.  

On 7/2/2020 at 9:21 AM, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

After reading all of the replies (so far), I wish to change my offer to $15!:P

Make it $20 and I will send you address to mail to...

Texas Lizard

Make it more and will send you a 10 ga....

Archived