SASS Wire Forum

Stuck bore snake in a minnie

longcolt 14205L

Hi all

i have a situation with my Minnie 14. Gun cleaning my Minnie 14. It’s my favorite rifle and I don’t know if it can be fixed. Pulling the bore snake through it, it got stuck in the barrel and it wouldn’t pull through. I pulled as hard as I could but it wouldn’t budge. So... I tied the snake around the bumper of my truck and it snapped off and is in the barrel. Now nothing is exposed at either end. Any ideas? Or is it a goner?

thanks for any help. 
longcolt

16 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Why not take out the op rod and bolt and tap a brass rod through from the muzzle end?  You might spray something like CLP or Hoppes into the bore  to lubricate it first. 

^^^^ +1 ^^^^

You will never push it out. Because it is flexible the more you push the tighter it will be wedged in the barrel.

You need to find a solvent that will dissolve it. Maybe contact the manufacturer and see exactly what material it is made of.

16 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You will never push it out. Because it is flexible the more you push the tighter it will be wedged in the barrel.

You need to find a solvent that will dissolve it. Maybe contact the manufacturer and see exactly what material it is made of.

maybe an alkaline drain cleaner that would dissolve the fabric?

It's probably more the built-in bristle brush that is stuck compared to the cloth tube. Find something that will dissolve brass/copper but not steel. I'm betting some bore cleaners will do it.

18 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

maybe an alkaline drain cleaner that would dissolve the fabric?

Need to know exactly what the bore snake is made of. What will redily dissolve one will have no effect on another.  I would avoid strong acids and Alkalies as they may corrode the barrel before they dissolve the bore snake.

How about a worm? I know you are dealing with a 22cal barrel, but is there a way to attach a course thread screw to the end of a rod so that you can go down the bore and grab the material and pull it out?  Probably pull it out in chunks rather than grab it good enough to pull it all out at once, but it might work... especially if you can get deep enough to screw onto the brush section. 

just a thought....

You are probably not equipped to deal with this.  Whilel the previous suggestions might sound like good ideas, I don’t believe any of them will be a good solution.

.  I believe that anything you do to try to get it out now will only complicate the problem even more.  

I SUGGEST THAT you do not mess with it anymore!

Take it to a gunsmith and pay him to remove it without damaging the bore.

Cat Brules

Wooden dowel, soft mallet, tap until it comes out (may take a while), keep tapping until it comes out or you decide to take it to a gunsmith who will likely charge about $30 to get it out.

They have special tools to do this (Apparently a wooden dowel and a soft mallet, maybe also a drill bit on a cleaning rod).

I'm not suggesting you try attaching a drill bit to a rod. If that breaks off and also gets stuck you will have a bigger problem.

6 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

You are probably not equipped to deal with this.  Whilel the previous suggestions might sound like good ideas, I don’t believe any of them will be a good solution.

.  I believe that anything you do to try to get it out now will only complicate the problem even more.  

I SUGGEST THAT you do not mess with it anymore!

Take it to a gunsmith and pay him to remove it without damaging the bore.

Cat Brules

What exactly is a gunsmith going to do that is so proprietary?

Phantom

I use a piloted drill bit soldered to a long rod.This will not damage the bore. Driving anything metal or wood in the bore will make the snake tighter. Hunting elk a couple years ago came on another hunter (which is rare as I usually do not see anyone else) who had stumbled and jammed his muzzle in the mud. He had a bore snake with him. No use. I had a takedown cleaning rod in my day pack. A couple minutes later he was back to hunting with an open bore.

55 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

What exactly is a gunsmith going to do that is so proprietary?

Phantom

+1.

Lucky

grin (1).bmp

This will be unpopular, but perhaps you could burn it out down to the brush section which should push out with a rod.  Take another bore snake and apply heat and see what happens.  I think it is a nylon type weave and it will probably melt up pretty easily.  If so the perhaps if you strip the gun as far as you can and use a little butane torch from both ends you can melt it enough to get it out.

12 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

This will be unpopular, but perhaps you could burn it out down to the brush section which should push out with a rod.  Take another bore snake and apply heat and see what happens.  I think it is a nylon type weave and it will probably melt up pretty easily.  If so the perhaps if you strip the gun as far as you can and use a little butane torch from both ends you can melt it enough to get it out.

Actually sounds like a good idea!

24 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Instead of burning it out, plug the muzzle and pour pure Acetone into the breach and let it sit for a bit.  The Acetone will dissolve the nylon, then go from there.  If it has a wood stock, you might want to remove that first.

36 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Instead of burning it out, plug the muzzle and pour pure Acetone into the breach and let it sit for a bit.  The Acetone will dissolve the nylon, then go from there.  If it has a wood stock, you might want to remove that first.

The problem is the material may or may not be true nylon.  We tend to call it nylon when it can be several other similar materials that may or may not be susceptible to a given chemical.

I did a little research and couldn't find one solvent that all were susceptible to. 

BTW Acetone will dissolve nylon but it take a long time.

It is easy to tell if the material is nylon or polyester.  Take a small flame and if it is nylon it will be a strong acrid odor when melting/burning. If it is polyester it will have a sweet smell. Solvents are different for the 2 materials if you try the solvent route.  I agree to try a worm.

I'm still trying to figure out how does a Bore Snake get stuck in the first place...

What caliber is the rifle, and what caliber is the Bore Snake for?

37 minutes ago, John Boy said:

The OP said it is  Minnie 14 that could be a .223 Remington
5.56×45mm NATO
.300 AAC Blackout
7.62×39mm

Obviously, the bore snake is substantially larger than the bore of the caliber

No, the 7.62x39mm is a Mini-30

Mini...not Minnie.

;)

Archived