SASS Wire Forum

My dear wife...

McCandless

She always used to bug me about why people need more than 10 rounds...

Since the happenings this year, she asked me if I would go out and by a rifle with one of "those things" underneath that held "30 shots".

Her arthritic hands won't let her rack the slide on a pistol, (she has a revolver), but she can pull a trigger, and she's an excellent shot.  

She wants me to buy more guns!!

:D

3 minutes ago, McCandless said:

Since the happenings this year, she asked me if I would go out and by a rifle with one of "those things" underneath that held "30 shots".

Her arthritic hands won't let her rack the slide on a pistol, (she has a revolver), but she can pull a trigger, and she's an excellent shot.  

Big Thumbs Up! :D

You can get extra wide charging handles for an AR that are easy to grip and pull. And those thingies that hold 30 shots can be had in drum configuration to hold more.  ;)

Nutten like a woman that tells a man ta buy more guns!

Get a good, higher-end weapon.  Teach your how to safely use that (I presume it to be) new AR-15.  Try to get the shortest legal-length barrel and a lightweight folding stock.  Get a good fold-down rear sight from Brownells.  Get her to fire 200 rounds through it.  Show her how to clear common jams.  Get a gunsmith to go through an inspection on it and fine tune it (NO special gimmick stuff).  Get a couple of 15 or 20 round magazines for your wife, because (my belief) 30 round mags are too unwieldy for the inexperienced.  Have her practice (30 times, at least) inserting, then changing (unloading) magazines.  

Never keep a round in the chamber of these weapons...EVER, unless you’ve racked one in and intend to immediately fire it.  With these AR-15 rifles, check the rifle for a round in the chamber repeatedly all the time, during off times, when you’re not using the rifle.  Discuss all this in advance with your wife.  If possible, ask a friend to bring his over to show her.  Check any and all weapons to ensure they’re unloaded.  Teach your wife (repeatedly) 10 times how to safely handle the new rifle.  She’s going to have to learn to rack the weapon in HER most comfortable manner....speak to the gunsmith about what is possible to make this easier.

10 round mags are the legal limit in California now, but you may not have that problem in your state of residence.  

Do what you think is best.

Cat Brules

14 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

.Never keep a round in the chamber of these weapons...EVER, unless you’ve racked one in and intend to immediately fire it. ...

Pretty expensive club don't you think?

4 hours ago, McCandless said:

How did it go after you woke up? :P

OLG 

so lucky her my Girlfriend came with 2 ARs one  in 9 mm set up for 3 gun and 223 

Kimber 45  , Browning Buckmark 

Rem 1100 and of course a Ruger 10-22

Just now, Dirty Dog Doug said:

so lucky her my Girlfriend came with 2 ARs one  in 9 mm set up for 3 gun and 223 

Kimber 45  , Browning Buckmark 

Rem 1100 and of course a Ruger 10-22

What's your girlfriends number? Asking for a friend. :D

Guns? Who owns any guns? :ph34r:  To paraphrase the late, great Bill Jordon, "There are many sounds in this wonderful world...children laughing, babies gurgling... But there is one sound to give one pause...that's the sound of a '97 or a M1911 being wracked in the darkness!"  Unfortunately, in Colorado (the state supreme court having affirmed the limit) detachable magazines can have no more that fifteen rounds! :angry:  Oh, well, if eight can't do the job, it doesn't take but a couple seconds to reload ("ping" yer @$$!).

19 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Pretty expensive club don't you think?

No, It is not a club.

It is an AR-15 rifle in a standard configuration.  
And, my comments iterate common safety practice, coupled with personal advice.

Cat Brules

I disagree with not having one in the chamber on self defense weapons. All of mine are ready to push off the safety and fire. None of them are ever brought out for show and tell. 

In the words of the Late Col Jeff Cooper....if there is not a round in the chamber you have an expensive paperweight !

He was speaking of a 1911, so in that we are speaking of a rifle,  I would agree it is a club!?!

God forbid if something hits the rotating blades, you might NOT have time to chamber a round OR worse yet

you might be in no condition to chamber a round.

While I grew up on the 1911 and am a multiple Gunsite alumni, this is the reason all our  ( the wife and I),

defense guns excepting long guns  are now Glocks.

8 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Anything I keep ready for "social work" has a round in the spout, and my wife knows it.

JHC

Oh hell yes. My wife knows. My kids know. Even my dogs know. 

Archived