SASS Wire Forum

Tips for loading .45-60 WCF

I have a new-to-me Uberti 1876 chambered in .45-60 and I'm going to start reloading for it.  I'm going to use cast bullets, smokeless powder (leaning toward Trail Boss).  Rifle has a 28-inch barrel (if that makes a difference).  I'm curious to see what experience has taught others out there what works best for this load-- what weight of bullet, what brand (I don't cast my own), what bullet diameter, what charge of powder, any other pearls of wisdom.

Originally, the cartridge was loaded with a 300 grain bullet.  The rifling may not stabilize a bullet much heavier than that.  I cast one from an RCBS mold that drops at 327 grains.  It works OK in my 1876.  I've never tried smokeless powder in my .45-60 so I can't give any first hand info.  

Good luck and enjoy!

Theoretically, the original balloon-head brass would have about 85% of the capacity of the EXTERNALLY-primed .45-70 brass.  Yes, the bullet weight of the .45-60 WCF was 300 grains.  If you desire to shoot smokeless, I would check the recommended loads for .45-70-300, multiply by .85 of the lightest load and work up carefully. 

Al... A forum with all you need to know about the 45-60 caliber reloading data and owners of the  1876 rifle .... https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=36384.0

Don't waste your time on the SASS Wire because cowboy owners of the rifle and caliber are few and far in between

14.5 grains of Trail Boss will work for you. 

When i use smokless that is the load  i use. 

Haven't shot it past 200 yds. Works well out to that distance.

I use a 200 gr. Bullet, RCBS works very well .

If you cant find some to try i will send you a few to try.

I tried many differing loads, both BP and smokeless.  My 76 was a beatup, scarred, somewhat rusty lookin 23.5" octagon rifle in 45-60.  Sent it off to have the muzzle leveled and crowned,relined the barrel,  and correct chambering for 45-60.  I used cutdown 45-70 brass.

Best rifle with iron sights, out to 150 yards ( cause that was all the distance I needed or shot it at,,Hah) :D:lol:

Most accurate load I had with it - 24.00 grains of Accurate 5744, matched with a 324 gr lead bullet.

I found 5744 to be an excellent powder in many long guns.

I have a 76 in 45-60. Kelley sights.  I like the 305 coated bullets from Bear Creek. 12.0 Unique. I’ve shot it (successfully!) to 300yds. I hope to go to a 400 yd range soon. 

I load the bullets just a tad longer than the crimp groove, Lee factory crimp die (made for 45-70) I just kinda kiss it a bit. works well for me. 

I was able to find 45-60 brass, but also have cut down 45-70. 

54 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I was able to find 45-60 brass, but also have cut down 45-70. 

A note regarding 45-70 brass...

The dimensions for the 45-70 rim are slightly thicker than the 45-60 specifications.  This may or may not be an issue for all imported 1876 rifles or even for all brands of brass.  The head space on mine was too tight to close the bolt on trimmed Starline  brand 45-70 brass.  Was a simple fix to take the bolt to a machinist to remove a couple thousandths from the bolt face.

Your mileage may vary.

I never had any trouble with my Uberti-Win 76 using cut down 45-70 brass. I used a mini chop saw from Harbor Freight.   I did find true 45-60 brass at Graf & sons. A little spendy at 2.10 per. But heck, can’t take it with you!

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/category/categoryId/3945

As someone mentioned above there's a lot of load info on the CASCity forum. I know because I did most of the posting.  The new replicas of the 1876 will shot 300 to 405 grn bullets fine. I have shot the 45-60 at our buffalo target at 500 yrds with good success. Check out the data on the CASCity forum and have some fun. 

Silver Rings 

Archived