SASS Wire Forum

Question about breeding horses

Alpo

Let's say I take my mare to Man o War to be bred.

Do I pay the stud fee prior to or immediately after he covers her, or do we wait until she shows pregnant, or do we wait until she delivers?

Uh... I hate to tell ya this, but I do think Man O War be daid.   :(

Don't pay nuttin'~!  :rolleyes:

GEE, YOUR FROZEN SEMEN IS PRETTY OLD!!!   :P

My only knowledge of stud fees comes from a short time when my brother was raising beagles (owner of the dog got pick of the litter) and a very dumb book we had to read in high school English called A DAY NO PIGS WOULD DIE, in which the owner of the boar got two piglets.

In both of these cases, if there was no baby produced obviously there could be no stud fee paid.

And then there was the farmer that showed up at his neighbor's house all irate. The only one there was the 16 year old youngest boy.

The farmer told the boy that his big brother had gotten the farmer's daughter pregnant. "We need to do something about this!!"

The boy thought a moment, then said, "Well, Daddy charges $50 for the boar hog, and 100 for the bull. But I don't know how much he's going to want paid for Brother."

All parts of a breeding contract can be negotiated.  If the owner of the mare pays enough money, the owner of the stud can offer re-breeding opportunities for a failure to conceive, and in some cases even guarantee a live foal.

Guaranteeing a live birth can lead to disagreements.  One of my veterinary college instructors told the story about a case he was involved with;  a foal was delivered after a very high-dollar breeding session with a live birth guarantee.  The foal hit the ground and never got up. The owner of the mare requested a refund based on the guarantee.  The owner of the stud insisted on a necropsy of the foal by my college instructor.  It was determined that the foal had taken at least one breath after delivery, because a sample of it's lung tissue would float in water.  Lungs from a stillborn mammal are not inflated and will sink.  There was nothing in the guarantee that specified how long the foal would live after being born, just that it would be born alive.  The owner of the stud got to keep his fee.  

Archived