SASS Wire Forum

Bushwhacker Bill Intro

Bushwhacker_Bill

Hello everyone! Saying hi. I came across CAS a few weeks ago when looking into a 22LR revolver and thought it looked like so much fun. I took my 3 year old son to our first match to watch last weekend and it was so cool! I have minimal experience shooting in general but have been around it my whole life.

Just bought my first shotgun off here, just waiting to get it! Can't wait to get everything over time as I watch, learn and eventually join in! Unfortunately I work as a 911 Dispatcher, so my schedule is all over the place which makes it difficult to stay the whole match a lot of days.

Right now I'm thinking of the name Bushwhacker Bill, but still a work in progress. Thanks everyone and nice to meet you all!

Welcome. I'm still learning to shoot my revolvers, just ran first lead through my new rifle today, and will look at a SxS shotgun in a couple weeks.

And buying ammo and prepping for reloading and planning a switch to black powder (substitute).

But it isn't just about the guns and the shooting, these are great people to know and spend time with.

Welcome and you're going to meet some of the best people.  Any questions just ask, need advice just ask, need an opinion just ask.  Have fun and bring a friend.

Ah, so now we know where that ornery Bushwhacker lives..... :lol:

Welcome to the Wire and SASS.

Living in Virginny, you shouldn't have any problem finding some good shooters and learning some good stuff

to help you enjoy Cowboy shooting.

Best regards

...........Widder

Haha I've been reading all the names on here and haven't really seen any Bushwhackers so figured I'd go for it! Gonna take some getting used to responding to it since Bill is no part of my name haha!

The club I went to last week was very inviting and friendly!

1 minute ago, Bushwhacker_Bill said:

Haha I've been reading all the names on here and haven't really seen any Bushwhackers so figured I'd go for it! Gonna take some getting used to responding to it since Bill is no part of my name haha!

The club I went to last week was very inviting and friendly!

I'm Slim at home too most times. If I hear my real name I duck. 

You'll find most all clubs are just as friendly. That's what makes this sport so fantastic. 

Welcome aboard!

4 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I'm Slim at home too most times. If I hear my real name I duck. 

You'll find most all clubs are just as friendly. That's what makes this sport so fantastic. 

Welcome aboard!

Thank you! It definitely seems that way. That's what got me interested in it in the first place. I was doing curling (on ice) before and it was the same way. Just less dressing up and less shooting haha

Welcome to CAS. I was like you. Never really shoot or even owned many guns prior to joining. Boy has that changed. You will enjoy. As others have said go to a few matches. Try as many guns as possible before laying out $$$.

5 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Welcome...now get yourself a good hat(not a requirement, but ...style)

Imis  what I lack in speed and accuracy I make up in ...style

Haha I need to start looking for outfits and such. Definitely gonna spend some time picking out the right one. I like the old leather style shirts.

1 minute ago, The Verdigris Kid said:

Welcome to the sport.

You might want to check your Alias choice. A quick check of the SASS alias Lookup shows that Bushwacker Bill is already taken.

Dang. When I looked I looked up Bushwhackers Bill. I guess I'll have to find something different. Are we able to change our user names on here?

Bushwhacker_Bill,

I don’t know how you registered.  Did you pay your registration Fee?

ANYWAY, it will help you to call the SASS corporate office in New Mexico to discuss changing your alias without having to pay extra for doing so, if you’ve already paid....see what they say.  At any rate, the ladies (The Edgewood Gang) should be easy to deal with.

Here’s their number:   (877) 411-7277

Welcome!  There will be any number of cowboys here on the Wire and at your local club willing to proactively help you get started, advise you and to answer your questions!

Oh!  By the way, there’s going to be A LOT of cowboys whose real names you will never know!  Don’t give it a thought; their real names aren’t on the FBI wanted posters anyway.

Best wishes,

Cat Brules

8 hours ago, Bushwhacker_Bill said:

Dang. When I looked I looked up Bushwhackers Bill. I guess I'll have to find something different. Are we able to change our user names on here?

Welcome! 

Pick out some different alias's and call headquarters, I think they can change it when you register. If they can't change it PM @Eliphalet R. Moderator @Sam C. Moderator or @Olin W. Moderator

No big hurry though.

8 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Bushwhacker_Bill,

I don’t know how you registered.  Did you pay your registration Fee?

ANYWAY, it will help you to call the SASS corporate office in New Mexico to discuss changing your alias without having to pay extra for doing so, if you’ve already paid....see what they say.  At any rate, the ladies (The Edgewood Gang) should be easy to deal with.

Here’s their number:   (877) 411-7277

Welcome!  There will be any number of cowboys here on the Wire and at your local club willing to proactively help you get started, advise you and to answer your questions!

Oh!  By the way, there’s going to be A LOT of cowboys whose real names you will never know!  Don’t give it a thought; their real names aren’t on the FBI wanted posters anyway.

Best wishes,

Cat Brules

Oh I haven't registered for SASS yet. Just on this site.

Howdy and welcome to the game. Get yourself registered first, then if you need a new alias get yourself one that isn't used by checking the ones already taken on the SASS alias list. Then go to some matches and shoot different guns, the cowboys where you shoot will gladly offer guns for you to try. Don't buy guns until you know what you like as far as the caliber and manufacturer. Most of us shoot single action Rugers or Colts or  Colt clones, a model 73 rifle, and either a double barrel or a pump or lever action shotgun. There are many different manufacturers that make these firearms, so you will ask a lot of questions shoot many different guns and do a lot of research before you finally decide on what you will buy. You'll need gunbelts and holsters,  eventually a gun cart. For clothing, right now a comfortable pair of cowboy boots and a hat blue jeans and a plaid shirt or a henley style shirt. Best advice I can give you is to try before you buy.  You have much to learn, but cowboys are the best source of information as well as the wire.

19 hours ago, Bushwhacker_Bill said:

Hello everyone! Saying hi. I came across CAS a few weeks ago when looking into a 22LR revolver and thought it looked like so much fun. I took my 3 year old son to our first match to watch last weekend and it was so cool! I have minimal experience shooting in general but have been around it my whole life.

Just bought my first shotgun off here, just waiting to get it! Can't wait to get everything over time as I watch, learn and eventually join in! Unfortunately I work as a 911 Dispatcher, so my schedule is all over the place which makes it difficult to stay the whole match a lot of days.

Right now I'm thinking of the name Bushwhacker Bill, but still a work in progress. Thanks everyone and nice to meet you all!

Welcome.

I started CAS with the Pungo Posse.  Shot with KCs Corral and the Cavalier Cowboys once or twice.  Great group of folks there that I miss shooting with.

The name you register on the wire is not controlled by SASS.  To get a unique SASS alias you have to register and join (pay dues).

Unless you know for sure and for certain you're going to stick with this, I wouldn't do that right now.  Once you join SASS, a moderator can change your alias on the Wire.

Go to a few more matches and borrow the guns that will be offered to let you participate.  TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.  While there are not a great many shotguns to choose from, rifles and pistols are all over the map as to weight, balance and overall fit and feel to individual shooters.  Also understand that the vast majority of guns you shoot at a match will have at least some work done to them to make them easier to use.  Don't expect a new rifle to operate as smoothly as one that's been worked over by a competent CAS gunsmtih.

You may even be able to buy used but not abused guns from other shooters in your area that are moving to something different or getting out of the game.

Hello former Bushwhacker Bill.:) I'm glad to hear you were incensed by our sport. You are welcome to try any of my backup equipment if you let me know ahead of time. If I wasn't TO-ing I would of spent more time with you than I did. When I joined SASS I made a list of ten names and then called. Nine of the ten were already taken and Major B.S. Walker wasn't even on that list. Take your time and ask lots of questions. The most important thing you need to get started is a good name and a good hat. Not necessarily in that order.   

4 hours ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

Hello former Bushwhacker Bill.:) I'm glad to hear you were incensed by our sport. You are welcome to try any of my backup equipment if you let me know ahead of time. If I wasn't TO-ing I would of spent more time with you than I did. When I joined SASS I made a list of ten names and then called. Nine of the ten were already taken and Major B.S. Walker wasn't even on that list. Take your time and ask lots of questions. The most important thing you need to get started is a good name and a good hat. Not necessarily in that order.   

Thank you! Everyone was very nice and welcoming! That's a good idea about making a list of 10 names. I'm definitely going to do that. Hopefully I can get work covered to be able the stay the whole time soon. Any suggestions on where to get a hat I can actually try on before buying?

Archived