Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Kirk James

Federal primer shortage again!

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Don't see how anyone can do that if they are paying HazMat...if he IS paying HazMat.

 

probably not, might even send it flat rate, frankly i dont care, it's not my problem... as long as they show up at my door, i really dont care how he ships them...:ph34r:

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Boomstick Bruce said:

 

probably not, might even send it flat rate, frankly i dont care, it's not my problem... as long as they show up at my door, i really dont care how he ships them...:ph34r:

 

 

 

 

Well that's the Cowboy way...Primers are explosives. Wouldn't you think you'd care at least????

 

But whatever...so long as we get what we WANT...right?

 

Good lord folks...at least we should give a crap...shouldn't we?

 

Phantom

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Well that's the Cowboy way...Primers are explosives. Wouldn't you think you'd care at least????

 

But whatever...so long as we get what we WANT...right?

 

Good lord folks...at least we should give a crap...shouldn't we?

 

Phantom

 

It's got nothing to do with "cowboy way". I got a good deal and I'm happy about it, obviously you're not. It's not my responsibility to make sure businesses follow rules. Furthermore it's not my business how much money he makes, that's HIS business.

 

That's your problem phantom, you worry too much about other people's business. If you care so much, send the guy the extra money to cover the hazmat fee, otherwise mind your own business for once.

 

I should have know better than to respond to ANYTHING you post. A mistake I won't make again.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

 

It's got nothing to do with "cowboy way". I got a good deal and I'm happy about it, obviously you're not. It's not my responsibility to make sure businesses follow rules. Furthermore it's not my business how much money he makes, that's HIS business.

 

That's your problem phantom, you worry too much about other people's business. If you care so much, send the guy the extra money to cover the hazmat fee, otherwise mind your own business for once.

 

I should have know better than to respond to ANYTHING you post. A mistake I won't make again.

 

I couldn't care less about you or anyone else getting a good deal.

 

Never said you have a responsibility. What I said was that you don't give a crap if someone might ship explosives through a method that might put people at risk...just so long as YOU get a good deal. Try for a second to comprehend this.

 

How funny it is that someone that posts on an open forum distributed via the internet thinks that they shouldn't be violated via someone not minding their own business.

 

And of course you won't reply to anyone that thinks that you are wrong...common ailment for Social Media participants. Heaven forbid that someone might post a contrary take on your actions.

 

Cheers!

Phantom

Edited by Phantom, SASS #54973
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like i said, not a mistake I will make again

bye felicia.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Don't see how anyone can do that if they are paying HazMat...if he IS paying HazMat.

My wholsaler tells me that there isn't any hazmat on primers and ships them accordingly.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

My wholsaler tells me that there isn't any hazmat on primers and ships them accordingly.

Oh really???

 

Who's you wholesaler?

 

Phantom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

Like i said, not a mistake I will make again

bye felicia.jpg

And here's someone that can't handle adult discussion...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Oh really???

 

Who's you wholesaler?

 

Phantom

I would rather not say just in case they are wrong and it could get them in trouble.  Besides I like not having to pay hazmat would not want that to stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I would rather not say just in case they are wrong and it could get them in trouble.  Besides I like not having to pay hazmat would not want that to stop.

They are wrong. Tell them as they are breaking federal law and the penalties can be quite sever.

 

If I'm wrong, please reference the change in law...

 

PS: Don't be like Boomstick. Buying from them because you save a few bucks is like buying from a thief's car trunk... Just not right.

Edited by Phantom, SASS #54973
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

They are wrong. Tell them as they are breaking federal law and the penalties can be quite sever.

 

If I'm wrong, please reference the change in law...

 

PS: Don't be like Boomstick. Buying from them because you save a few bucks is like buying from a thief's car trunk... Just not right.

I was always under the impression that it was not a Federal law but something the shipping companys dreamed up.  I have never seen any actual laws about shipping hazmat, but then again I don't ship hazmat so I wouldn't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sportsman Warehouse near me was out except Federal Rifle and Federal Large Magnum Pistol. I assume Magnum would impact my reload recipe. Any experience there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Sportsman Warehouse near me was out except Federal Rifle and Federal Large Magnum Pistol. I assume Magnum would impact my reload recipe. Any experience there?

I use magnum and regular primers interchangeably and don't notice any difference.  FYI, my loads are close to the bottom of the recommended range, with the bottom being 2.5 and my loads being 2.7.  If I were close to the upper end of the range it might make a meaningful difference in pressure, so be careful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I was always under the impression that it was not a Federal law but something the shipping companys dreamed up.  I have never seen any actual laws about shipping hazmat, but then again I don't ship hazmat so I wouldn't know.

It is federal regulation of shipping companies.

 

There are also small-quantity exemptions outlined in 3 different sections of the regulations.

 

And the entire weight of the primers would not be the guiding limit, nor the packaging. Only the actual explosive weight determines the exemption cutoff (though there is a maximum for the entire exempted package weight).

 

I have not been trained on the regulations, just looked them up. From having done so, I found nothing that says all shipments of primers are subject to hazmat fees, but they would be subject to ground transportation only, contents would still need to be declared -- and as of January of this year properly labeled as exempt -- and all other regulations still apply.

 

I do see my primers are coming with "adult signature required" which is another regulation that applies. I have no reason to doubt the package will be properly labeled.

 

I also found these regulations came about due to an explosion of (a semi load full of) primers. Truck driver hit a pothole. The load exploded. Driver died.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Captain Bill Burt said:

I use magnum and regular primers interchangeably and don't notice any difference.  FYI, my loads are close to the bottom of the recommended range, with the bottom being 2.5 and my loads being 2.7.  If I were close to the upper end of the range it might make a meaningful difference in pressure, so be careful.

Thanks. I think I might run in to town after work before all the rodeo crowd jams up the works.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I was always under the impression that it was not a Federal law but something the shipping companys dreamed up.  I have never seen any actual laws about shipping hazmat, but then again I don't ship hazmat so I wouldn't know.

I'm certainly not an expert on Federal Laws... But I'm pretty sure that the U.S. DOT and the EPA control the issue of transporting explosive materials (such as primers). The actual charging for the transportation of HazMat materials is at the discretion of the carrier.

 

My memory of the penalties is something like 6 months / $250000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the reasons for the ORMD designation is to ensure the hazardous item is ground shipped.  Throw 5K primers in a flat rate box, it gets thrown on a plane and blows up for some obscure reason, the plane crashes, the shipper is liable and possibly the receiver may have some vicarious liability.  Not worth the savings IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

One of the reasons for the ORMD designation is to ensure the hazardous item is ground shipped.  Throw 5K primers in a flat rate box, it gets thrown on a plane and blows up for some obscure reason, the plane crashes, the shipper is liable and possibly the receiver may have some vicarious liability.  Not worth the savings IMHO.

Now HOLD ON THERE!!!!!

 

You mean...that someone might not get their special pet priced primers?!?!?!

 

Oh the horror...

 

:mellow:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

One of the reasons for the ORMD designation is to ensure the hazardous item is ground shipped.  Throw 5K primers in a flat rate box, it gets thrown on a plane and blows up for some obscure reason, the plane crashes, the shipper is liable and possibly the receiver may have some vicarious liability.  Not worth the savings IMHO.

More importantly, if the plane crashes with my primers on it will I get a refund that includes shipping?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The regulations for HAZMAT have nothing to do with charging or not charging extra.  It's about how it's packaged, labeled and shipped.  I got some stuff a few months ago (I think it was from Midway) and they were running a deal on orders over a certain amount with HAZMAT fee of a penny.  The proper box, label and shipping method were still used. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Lou Graham, # 26112 said:

The regulations for HAZMAT have nothing to do with charging or not charging extra.  It's about how it's packaged, labeled and shipped.  I got some stuff a few months ago (I think it was from Midway) and they were running a deal on orders over a certain amount with HAZMAT fee of a penny.  The proper box, label and shipping method were still used. 

You are correct, but not anyone can ship HazMat.

 

I believe that there is an approval process that one must go through in order to process HazMat shipments. So it's more than sticking a correct label on a box. This is the reason some folks charge for the service...cuz it costs them money to be able to ship HazMat.

 

Phantom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

My wholsaler tells me that there isn't any hazmat on primers and ships them 

You have to be licensed by BATFE to ship powder and primers.

They are required to carry HAZ-MAT labels because they can only go by ground..

OLG 

Edited by The Original Lumpy Gritz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

.

Edited by Captain Clark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

...I also found these regulations came about due to an explosion of (a semi load full of) primers. Truck driver hit a pothole. The load exploded. Driver died.

 

Was this the Federal Primer incident that caused them to change to their current package that nobody likes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if it's still a requirement but in the early 2000's in order to ship HAZMAT the person doing the paperwork had to be a HAZMAT certifier.  The military taught the course (I'm sure there were civilian courses also), the course taught shipping, packaging, labeling, and regulations.  Upon graduation you were given a certificate which had to be renewed by attending a refresher course every 3 years, the certification was applicable in the private sector.  The person with the certificate signed all the required paperwork and was accountable for any discrepancies.

 

Interesting note - when a conveyance was being loaded with HAZMAT the certifier had to be present to ensure that the material maintained all requirements for securing and separation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

 

Was this the Federal Primer incident that caused them to change to their current package that nobody likes?

That was the incident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found 1000 small match primers at Sportsmans.  They still had them in a cart to put on the shelves and that's all they received.  Found 5000 match small magnum  at Bass Pro Shop but had to pay $48 per thousand with Hazmat and tax.  No longer available.  Hat to pay that much but that is all I could find.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered 3k Federal small pistol from Bruno's Shooter's Supply in Phoenix on Monday for $39 per thousand (picked up-no shipping). At that time they showed 200k in stock, today nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Found two thousand small pistol mag for 23.70 a thousand at sportsman warehouse today. This afternoon none left.

large pistol mag still there

Edited by Marshal Fire, SASS 10064

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Marshal Fire, SASS 10064 said:

Found two thousand small pistol mag for 2.37 a thousand at sportsman warehouse today. This afternoon none left.

large pistol mag still there

$2.37 for a THOUSAND????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Marshal Fire, SASS 10064 said:

Found two thousand small pistol mag for 2.37 a thousand at sportsman warehouse today......

 

Just so you don't buy too many.......

 

used primers aren't any good.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2020 at 9:31 AM, Captain Bill Burt said:

I use magnum and regular primers interchangeably and don't notice any difference.  FYI, my loads are close to the bottom of the recommended range, with the bottom being 2.5 and my loads being 2.7.  If I were close to the upper end of the range it might make a meaningful difference in pressure, so be careful.

 

The magnum's are a good choice with your load, even more so in cold weather.

OLG 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up 10,000 primers and 10 pounds of Clays today.

 

But think that might be the last of what I can get for awhile.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kirk James said:

Found 1000 small match primers at Sportsmans.  They still had them in a cart to put on the shelves and that's all they received.  Found 5000 match small magnum  at Bass Pro Shop but had to pay $48 per thousand with Hazmat and tax.  No longer available.  Hat to pay that much but that is all I could find.  

I stopped by the SW in Flagstaff today and picked up their last 1000 piece box of Federal Large Pistol Primers for $23.99. My wife went to the SW in Prescott and got a 1000 Federal Magnum primers of the same size. Since my reloading gear is still packed in boxes I think I'm safe for a while. The SW in Flagstaff still had magnums and match Federal when I left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.