SASS Wire Forum

Federal primer shortage again!

Kirk James

2 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Don't see how anyone can do that if they are paying HazMat...if he IS paying HazMat.

probably not, might even send it flat rate, frankly i dont care, it's not my problem... as long as they show up at my door, i really dont care how he ships them...:ph34r:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Boomstick Bruce said:

probably not, might even send it flat rate, frankly i dont care, it's not my problem... as long as they show up at my door, i really dont care how he ships them...:ph34r:

Well that's the Cowboy way...Primers are explosives. Wouldn't you think you'd care at least????

But whatever...so long as we get what we WANT...right?

Good lord folks...at least we should give a crap...shouldn't we?

Phantom

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Well that's the Cowboy way...Primers are explosives. Wouldn't you think you'd care at least????

But whatever...so long as we get what we WANT...right?

Good lord folks...at least we should give a crap...shouldn't we?

Phantom

It's got nothing to do with "cowboy way". I got a good deal and I'm happy about it, obviously you're not. It's not my responsibility to make sure businesses follow rules. Furthermore it's not my business how much money he makes, that's HIS business.

That's your problem phantom, you worry too much about other people's business. If you care so much, send the guy the extra money to cover the hazmat fee, otherwise mind your own business for once.

I should have know better than to respond to ANYTHING you post. A mistake I won't make again.

17 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

It's got nothing to do with "cowboy way". I got a good deal and I'm happy about it, obviously you're not. It's not my responsibility to make sure businesses follow rules. Furthermore it's not my business how much money he makes, that's HIS business.

That's your problem phantom, you worry too much about other people's business. If you care so much, send the guy the extra money to cover the hazmat fee, otherwise mind your own business for once.

I should have know better than to respond to ANYTHING you post. A mistake I won't make again.

I couldn't care less about you or anyone else getting a good deal.

Never said you have a responsibility. What I said was that you don't give a crap if someone might ship explosives through a method that might put people at risk...just so long as YOU get a good deal. Try for a second to comprehend this.

How funny it is that someone that posts on an open forum distributed via the internet thinks that they shouldn't be violated via someone not minding their own business.

And of course you won't reply to anyone that thinks that you are wrong...common ailment for Social Media participants. Heaven forbid that someone might post a contrary take on your actions.

Cheers!

Phantom

10 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Don't see how anyone can do that if they are paying HazMat...if he IS paying HazMat.

My wholsaler tells me that there isn't any hazmat on primers and ships them accordingly.

3 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Oh really???

Who's you wholesaler?

Phantom

I would rather not say just in case they are wrong and it could get them in trouble.  Besides I like not having to pay hazmat would not want that to stop.

6 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I would rather not say just in case they are wrong and it could get them in trouble.  Besides I like not having to pay hazmat would not want that to stop.

They are wrong. Tell them as they are breaking federal law and the penalties can be quite sever.

If I'm wrong, please reference the change in law...

PS: Don't be like Boomstick. Buying from them because you save a few bucks is like buying from a thief's car trunk... Just not right.

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

They are wrong. Tell them as they are breaking federal law and the penalties can be quite sever.

If I'm wrong, please reference the change in law...

PS: Don't be like Boomstick. Buying from them because you save a few bucks is like buying from a thief's car trunk... Just not right.

I was always under the impression that it was not a Federal law but something the shipping companys dreamed up.  I have never seen any actual laws about shipping hazmat, but then again I don't ship hazmat so I wouldn't know.

Sportsman Warehouse near me was out except Federal Rifle and Federal Large Magnum Pistol. I assume Magnum would impact my reload recipe. Any experience there?

30 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Sportsman Warehouse near me was out except Federal Rifle and Federal Large Magnum Pistol. I assume Magnum would impact my reload recipe. Any experience there?

I use magnum and regular primers interchangeably and don't notice any difference.  FYI, my loads are close to the bottom of the recommended range, with the bottom being 2.5 and my loads being 2.7.  If I were close to the upper end of the range it might make a meaningful difference in pressure, so be careful.

19 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I was always under the impression that it was not a Federal law but something the shipping companys dreamed up.  I have never seen any actual laws about shipping hazmat, but then again I don't ship hazmat so I wouldn't know.

It is federal regulation of shipping companies.

There are also small-quantity exemptions outlined in 3 different sections of the regulations.

And the entire weight of the primers would not be the guiding limit, nor the packaging. Only the actual explosive weight determines the exemption cutoff (though there is a maximum for the entire exempted package weight).

I have not been trained on the regulations, just looked them up. From having done so, I found nothing that says all shipments of primers are subject to hazmat fees, but they would be subject to ground transportation only, contents would still need to be declared -- and as of January of this year properly labeled as exempt -- and all other regulations still apply.

I do see my primers are coming with "adult signature required" which is another regulation that applies. I have no reason to doubt the package will be properly labeled.

I also found these regulations came about due to an explosion of (a semi load full of) primers. Truck driver hit a pothole. The load exploded. Driver died.

Just now, Captain Bill Burt said:

I use magnum and regular primers interchangeably and don't notice any difference.  FYI, my loads are close to the bottom of the recommended range, with the bottom being 2.5 and my loads being 2.7.  If I were close to the upper end of the range it might make a meaningful difference in pressure, so be careful.

Thanks. I think I might run in to town after work before all the rodeo crowd jams up the works.

26 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I'm certainly not an expert on Federal Laws... But I'm pretty sure that the U.S. DOT and the EPA control the issue of transporting explosive materials (such as primers). The actual charging for the transportation of HazMat materials is at the discretion of the carrier.

My memory of the penalties is something like 6 months / $250000.

One of the reasons for the ORMD designation is to ensure the hazardous item is ground shipped.  Throw 5K primers in a flat rate box, it gets thrown on a plane and blows up for some obscure reason, the plane crashes, the shipper is liable and possibly the receiver may have some vicarious liability.  Not worth the savings IMHO.

2 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

One of the reasons for the ORMD designation is to ensure the hazardous item is ground shipped.  Throw 5K primers in a flat rate box, it gets thrown on a plane and blows up for some obscure reason, the plane crashes, the shipper is liable and possibly the receiver may have some vicarious liability.  Not worth the savings IMHO.

Now HOLD ON THERE!!!!!

You mean...that someone might not get their special pet priced primers?!?!?!

Oh the horror...

:mellow:

7 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

More importantly, if the plane crashes with my primers on it will I get a refund that includes shipping?

The regulations for HAZMAT have nothing to do with charging or not charging extra.  It's about how it's packaged, labeled and shipped.  I got some stuff a few months ago (I think it was from Midway) and they were running a deal on orders over a certain amount with HAZMAT fee of a penny.  The proper box, label and shipping method were still used. 

46 minutes ago, Lou Graham, # 26112 said:

The regulations for HAZMAT have nothing to do with charging or not charging extra.  It's about how it's packaged, labeled and shipped.  I got some stuff a few months ago (I think it was from Midway) and they were running a deal on orders over a certain amount with HAZMAT fee of a penny.  The proper box, label and shipping method were still used. 

You are correct, but not anyone can ship HazMat.

I believe that there is an approval process that one must go through in order to process HazMat shipments. So it's more than sticking a correct label on a box. This is the reason some folks charge for the service...cuz it costs them money to be able to ship HazMat.

Phantom

13 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

My wholsaler tells me that there isn't any hazmat on primers and ships them 

You have to be licensed by BATFE to ship powder and primers.

They are required to carry HAZ-MAT labels because they can only go by ground..

OLG 

15 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

...I also found these regulations came about due to an explosion of (a semi load full of) primers. Truck driver hit a pothole. The load exploded. Driver died.

Was this the Federal Primer incident that caused them to change to their current package that nobody likes?

I'm not sure if it's still a requirement but in the early 2000's in order to ship HAZMAT the person doing the paperwork had to be a HAZMAT certifier.  The military taught the course (I'm sure there were civilian courses also), the course taught shipping, packaging, labeling, and regulations.  Upon graduation you were given a certificate which had to be renewed by attending a refresher course every 3 years, the certification was applicable in the private sector.  The person with the certificate signed all the required paperwork and was accountable for any discrepancies.

Interesting note - when a conveyance was being loaded with HAZMAT the certifier had to be present to ensure that the material maintained all requirements for securing and separation.

5 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Was this the Federal Primer incident that caused them to change to their current package that nobody likes?

That was the incident.

Found 1000 small match primers at Sportsmans.  They still had them in a cart to put on the shelves and that's all they received.  Found 5000 match small magnum  at Bass Pro Shop but had to pay $48 per thousand with Hazmat and tax.  No longer available.  Hat to pay that much but that is all I could find.  

12 minutes ago, Marshal Fire, SASS 10064 said:

Found two thousand small pistol mag for 2.37 a thousand at sportsman warehouse today. This afternoon none left.

large pistol mag still there

$2.37 for a THOUSAND????

24 minutes ago, Marshal Fire, SASS 10064 said:

Found two thousand small pistol mag for 2.37 a thousand at sportsman warehouse today......

Just so you don't buy too many.......

used primers aren't any good.

On 6/30/2020 at 9:31 AM, Captain Bill Burt said:

The magnum's are a good choice with your load, even more so in cold weather.

OLG 

10 hours ago, Kirk James said:

Found 1000 small match primers at Sportsmans.  They still had them in a cart to put on the shelves and that's all they received.  Found 5000 match small magnum  at Bass Pro Shop but had to pay $48 per thousand with Hazmat and tax.  No longer available.  Hat to pay that much but that is all I could find.  

I stopped by the SW in Flagstaff today and picked up their last 1000 piece box of Federal Large Pistol Primers for $23.99. My wife went to the SW in Prescott and got a 1000 Federal Magnum primers of the same size. Since my reloading gear is still packed in boxes I think I'm safe for a while. The SW in Flagstaff still had magnums and match Federal when I left.

Archived