SASS Wire Forum

Federal primer shortage again!

Kirk James

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found an online auction in KY that had about 15 bricks of CCI SP going for about $30 each brick, however it was an AS IS/Where IS auction so they won't ship, they have to be picked up on site. :(

Went to my local reloading supplier last night ... bought a brick of Federal LP’ for $38.90 with NJ sales tax.  Owner told me he has no shortage of Federals and other brands¿

45 minutes ago, John Boy said:

Went to my local reloading supplier last night ... bought a brick of Federal LP’ for $38.90 with NJ sales tax.  Owner told me he has no shortage of Federals and other brands¿

It is Small pistol primers that are in short supply.

Dude, my neighbor went with me to our reloading supplier.  He bought a brick of Federal LP’s and .... a brick of Federal SP’s 

First the primers are all sucked up and then the ammo. 

This evening my youngest son wanted me to watch for some buckshot for him. I thought he ment loaded shells.   I looked at Grafs website and then MidwayUSA and all brands were sold out.  Getting back to him, no, he just wanted the 00 buckshot to load his own. I looked at Grafs and it was all sold out as well.  Maybe he can find a Lee 00 buckshot mold.

Picked up 10,000 Federal Small Magnum Pistol this week in the store for $33.99 / box. Had over 50 boxes still on the shelf with half small half large pistol. All were magnum..

Sportsmans Warehouse has Federal SP, LP & shotgun primers on sale for $2.39, $2.39 and $2.19 respectively. They also have WWs for a smidge less. You order and prepay online, have them shipped to your store (no hazmat) and pick them up there. You can order up to 10 boxes (I think that is each item but not sure).

11 hours ago, Hellgate #3302 L said:

Sportsmans Warehouse has Federal SP, LP & shotgun primers on sale for $2.39, $2.39 and $2.19 respectively. They also have WWs for a smidge less. You order and prepay online, have them shipped to your store (no hazmat) and pick them up there. You can order up to 10 boxes (I think that is each item but not sure).

I’ve been buying Sportsman’s sale primers for a few months.  They only allow 1,000 of any type purchased.  I stocked up on Federal small pistol magnum primers, W209s and both Winchester and Remington large pistol primers (for my WB 45s).  Since there is a Costco next to Sportsman’s I don’t mind making small purchases at Sportsman’s.

For small pistol primers, Sportsmans Warehouse only shows CCI and Winchester available, in stock only at one store each, both stores being in New Mexico (Albuquerque and Farmington). That's a little bit too far for me to drive from Louisiana. But I can have them shipped to our one store in this state, which is about 220 miles from my house.  That's still too far to drive for only 1,000 primers. :lol:

Was at LGS in Corpus Christi last Friday. They had Federal small magnums in stock. I figured might as well pick up a couple thousand. Until he told me 55/K!  He is pretty bad on price gouging. He did same thing last time we went thru this. But hey, they are his primers, he can put whatever price he wants on them. My choice to buy or not!

On 6/30/2020 at 1:52 AM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Yeah! Stopped in a local gun store the other day and they had Federals priced at $50.00 per thousand.  Told ‘em “NO THANKS!!”

Anybody tried S&B primers??

Get 'ay Blackwater..S& B work fine large or small at least for us that is. Federal primers here in Aus at the moment at the cheapest outlet..wait for it....$90 if buying under 5,000 or $ 80 if buying more than ..I stocked up with 50,000 @ $53 a few years back.

BP here is thru the roof..stay safe.

2 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Get 'ay Blackwater..S& B work fine large or small at least for us that is. Federal primers here in Aus at the moment at the cheapest outlet..wait for it....$90 if buying under 5,000 or $ 80 if buying more than ..I stocked up with 50,000 @ $53 a few years back.

BP here is thru the roof..stay safe.

They’ve stopped importing S&B here, but there are still some floating around.  I missed a batch of 2,000 by an hour a few weeks ago. 

I got two boxes of Federal on Monday from my local supplier where they backordered ‘em three weeks ago.  $34.21 a box (1,000).!!

I don’t use a lot of small pistol primers and this will do me for another year or two, unless my grandson decides to come play cowboy with me.

I hope y’all are doing well!  Hatfield says hello!!

Went to the local Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday.

Might have been 2 thousand assorted WW primers and 1500 Federal #155 primers on the shelf.

I bought a thousand 155's(all they would allow).Maybe these will get me through the rest of the year.

Never seen stocks of components quite this low.

On 7/30/2020 at 8:04 PM, Caboose said:

Picked up 10,000 Federal Small Magnum Pistol this week in the store for $33.99 / box. Had over 50 boxes still on the shelf with half small half large pistol. All were magnum..

There is an auction on gun Broker for 10,000 Federal small pistol primers. Last time I looked bid was $1000 and biding was still open.

Archived