SASS Wire Forum

Federal primer shortage again!

Kirk James

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

Get 'em while you can, Brownells has Federal large pistol primers in stock.

3.6 cents each plus shipping costs:

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/primers/pistol-primers/large-pistol-primers-1-000-box-sku749004462-35322-68089.aspx

Followed the link... shows "In Stock" so I ordered 2 boxes... complete the order and BACKORDERED!:(

By the time HazMat and shipping are figured in, comes out at 5 cents per primer.

16 minutes ago, The Verdigris Kid said:

Followed the link... shows "In Stock" so I ordered 2 boxes... complete the order and BACKORDERED!:(

Sign up for alerts on the product page. Next time you get an email from Brownells, try again.

On edit: For reference, my email from Brownells arrived at 3:33 PM Eastern Coast time. The time of this post is 8:09 PM.

Sportsman's Warehouse has all sorts of primers.
Limit is 1,000 per order.
Price is "reasonable" for most types, and downright great for Fed 209A.

17 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Get 'em while you can, Brownells has Federal large pistol primers in stock.

3.6 cents each plus shipping costs:

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/primers/pistol-primers/large-pistol-primers-1-000-box-sku749004462-35322-68089.aspx

I think you broke the Internet. The page never loads for me. It finally times out.

You've got to be creative.  I found a pawnshop that had a good selection of primers.  I picked up 2k Federal and 1k CCI small pistol primers.  Don't know what they'd have now, cause I passed the info on. 

Stopped at the local Sportsmans Warehouse and zero primers. 

When I looked up the address for Federal,  it's on the northwest side of Minneapolis.  Makes you wonder how the riots affected their operations. 

BS

32 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

When I looked up the address for Federal,  it's on the northwest side of Minneapolis.  Makes you wonder how the riots affected their operations. 

That is corporate headquarters. I have not confirmed it, but manufacturing may be in New Jersey and/or New York. Non-essential businesses (by state definition) there were shuttered.

8 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

That is corporate headquarters. I have not confirmed it, but manufacturing may be in New Jersey and/or New York. Non-essential businesses (by state definition) there were shuttered.

Ammunition is made in Minnesota.  No locations in NY  or NJ.  The company is designated "essential" by Homeland Security.  Unfortunately they don't have a company store.  :(

55 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Ammunition is made in Minnesota.  No locations in NY  or NJ.  The company is designated "essential" by Homeland Security.  Unfortunately they don't have a company store.  :(

Where do the primers come from?

Sportsman’s Warehouse in Anoka, MN is less then a mile from Federal’s plant but they never have an abundance of Federal Primers and have been out of small pistol for a while. My personal opinion for the shortage is panic buying since the riots and pre-elections jitters.

41 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Grafs and Sons has Federal large pistol match primers in stock.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/3982

I've always had them here at the World Famous Storied Fir...Oops...never mind...

:ph34r:

12 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Grafs and Sons has Federal large pistol match primers in stock.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/3982

26 cases in stock, 2 cases delivered (10,000 primers) come out to 4.08 cents each not including any sales tax. My sense is that price is not bad for match primers.

3 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

26 cases in stock, 2 cases delivered (10,000 primers) come out to 4.08 cents each not including any sales tax. My sense is that price is not bad for match primers.

Makes one wonder what the price was 1 year ago. :o

OLG 

9 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Makes one wonder what the price was 1 year ago. :o

OLG 

No idea, but looking at the prices at places currently out of stock (assuming those places have not raised prices for product they do not have), I don't get a sense of gouging at Grafs.

I have recently seen auctions of Blazer Brass 9mm ammo going for 80 cents per round, that is more than 4 times what I routinely pay.

This is probably the only time in my life I'm a little sad I reload ONLY small primers lol. 

I did manage to find a 1000 Federal Small Pistol shoved back behind some shotshell primers at the LGS though.... lucky score. 

On 7/11/2020 at 7:38 PM, Caboose said:

Sportsman’s Warehouse in Anoka, MN is less then a mile from Federal’s plant but they never have an abundance of Federal Primers and have been out of small pistol for a while. My personal opinion for the shortage is panic buying since the riots and pre-elections jitters.

The pandemic drove some panic buying too.  After all, those hoards of toilet paper need defending. :rolleyes:

On 7/11/2020 at 9:38 PM, Caboose said:

My personal opinion for the shortage is panic buying since the riots and pre-elections jitters.

I can't disagree completely but there was also reduced production. So the supply chain went completely dry. And would have likely gone dry without panic buying.

Ammo remanufacturers buy more primers than hobbyist reloaders, and they can't get primers either. And a lack of panic buying (for primers) would likely not have made much difference to the remanufacturers. IMO, panic buying did have a role in drying out the ammo supply chain (duh LOL), and that will take a while longer to fill back up.

Would love to see date codes on the primers now showing up in stores; if they are new production, the supply chain will fill up again soon. Predictions I read back in May suggested August would bring some relief (for factory ammo).

Supply change management has taken a big hit with this virus debacle.

As an example.  Our oldest son works in the receiving and shipping department in a large local factory.  The factory is considered essential and continued to work.  But it was fraught with problem.  Some components came from foreign countries that were shut down.  Some components set in harbors in quarantine.   They have sister facility in old Mexico that was closed.  That facility made components for the local facility and the local facility made components for the Mexico facility.  With the Mexico facility shut down, the local facility couldn't manufacturer some products.  Product they could build sometimes couldn't be shipped because the customer that ordered them were closed and not receiving.  It becomes a logistical nightmare.    

Not saying it's the only factor in the case of primer shortfall.   But I remember the last time, we starting seeing Tula and Wolf, etc being coming to the market taking up the shortfall. 

17 hours ago, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

Just watched 10,000 Winchester small pistol primers sell for $1500 + shipping on GunBroker.

Wow. About 2 weeks ago I picked up 2k Federal and 1k CCI small pistol primers at about $35/k.

Just bought some 22lr off Gunbroker, not a great price but not extreme either.  My grandson is shooting up my 22s, so I've got to get them. 

Take care, 

BS

If anyone lives in mid/northern MI , I was at Jays today and they had a decent primer selection “for right now” . They are limiting customers to 500 a day . They also had the 4 lb jug of blue dot I wanted 

My local Sportsmans was well stocked with Federal small magnum pistol primers when I visited yesterday.  However, they were out of most common pistol caliber ammo, .22 LR and .223 rifle rounds.  I didn't need any but noted the shortage.

Last I checked I can still find large pistol. It's small pistol I can't find in store....I have other sources for now just got 2k on Sunday

Archived