SASS Wire Forum

Federal primer shortage again!

Kirk James

Just when I am getting low. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I am low too.  I only have about 1000 left and I can't find any at any of my usual sources.

Yeah! Stopped in a local gun store the other day and they had Federals priced at $50.00 per thousand.  Told ‘em “NO THANKS!!”

Anybody tried S&B primers??

2 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

I know where you might be able to get some. See your PM.

You can't receive PMs. Hopefully everyone gives you first crack, here is what I was going to send you:

I posted in my reloading thread yesterday, I found Federal large pistol primers from a seller on GunBroker. I ordered 2 cases (10,000 pieces). He had 3 cases up for sale. Go look, 3.2 cents each delivered IIRC.

7 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Yeah! Stopped in a local gun store the other day and they had Federals priced at $50.00 per thousand.  Told ‘em “NO THANKS!!”

They are good to go; maybe a tad tight in the primer pockets, but otherwise they go bang.

I just looked at GunBroker again, search "Federal large pistol primers."

The case I did not buy is still there, 5000 for $140 plus $30 UPS shipping.

Another seller has five boxes of 1,000 each for $28 per box plus shipping.

I had spent an hour looking at different places with no luck when my lady suggested GunBroker. Ammoseek finds zero anywhere at any price.

6 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

I just looked at GunBroker again, search "Federal large pistol primers."

The case I did not buy is still there, 5000 for $140 plus $30 UPS shipping.

Another seller has five boxes of 1,000 each for $28 per box plus shipping.

I had spent an hour looking at different places with no luck when my lady suggested GunBroker. Ammoseek finds zero anywhere at any price.

How do they handle the Hazmat ???

27 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

S&B primers have worked fine for me, seem to be similar to Federals in hardness.  S&B is no longer shipping to the US so if you find them at a decent price get all you can.

I looked in Cabela's last week. They had Federal for $40/1000, their regular price. I don't believe they've had a sale on them since Bass Pro took over. The way Bass Pro is trimming gun-related products, I wouldn't be shocked if they reduced it to very little. Employees I have talked with are either considering quitting or have quit.  It's a shame what they have done to the reputation Cabela's built.

6 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You would think after the last primer go-around, that folks would learn not to set their gunz up to only work the primer brand that disappears from the market the fastest:excl: <_<

OLG 

LOL, or just buy enough so you can ignore short term disruptions in supply.  If this continues for two years I'll start worrying, otherwise it doesn't have any impact on me.

4 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

LOL, or just buy enough so you can ignore short term disruptions in supply.  If this continues for two years I'll start worrying, otherwise it doesn't have any impact on me.

Does seem to be a 'pattern'.

After the last so called 'shortage', all the primer prices went up.

I have 25K+ primers of all sizes. I'm not worried about run'n out.:lol:

OLG +

9 minutes ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

I suspect many of these reloading component companies were not classified as essential businesses over the last 3 months of pandemic closures.

Actually it has more to do with components being used for finished ammo production.

Sportsmans had Federals on sale this Spring for $23/k, 1,000 limit.  My Sportsmans is next to a Costco, so I would stop and pickup 1,000 primers, a chicken and fill my van with gas.  My primer supply slowly increased this Spring.

Still have about 40,000 from the last shortage. no Federals as I never bought into that "gotta have the softest" nonsense. At least nonsense to me. IIRC they are mostly Winchesters and Wolf, maybe a few Remingtons. Since I haven't shot in the last 3-4 years and don't see it happening anytime soon they will probably last me a good while. Maybe forever, at least my forever.

We ordered a pallet full in june.  23 per 1k.  Free shipping.   so we are good for a little while.  Right now if you order you won't see them for 9 months according to our rep at federal.  We were lucky enough to have somebody on the inside to help speed our order along

Is it just federal that there is a shortage of? I only have 500 #155 primers on hand and will need another 1000 by August to get me through the rest of the year...

16 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

Is it just federal that there is a shortage of? I only have 500 #155 primers on hand and will need another 1000 by August to get me through the rest of the year...

what is a 155 Primer? 

28 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

Bruce

I have a bunch of federal large pistol (not magnum) if you want to make the drive here I will sell them reasonable

8 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I like S&B primers. I use them for my big bore rifles. Never a failure.

Although I normally prefer GM200M I found it just to hard to resist picking up some 200's at Cowboy Shooters Supply today.  Lack of travel to matches these days had their primer inventory looking pretty good.  Their supply in cases of AA shotgun shells is lower now :D

1 hour ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

Bruce

I have a bunch of federal large pistol (not magnum) if you want to make the drive here I will sell them reasonable

im good thanks anyway!

do you still have that 75 remington?

8 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

i just ordered a case of 5000 155s from gunbroker... it was the only case left that should last me the rest of this year and most of next year

And how much was shipping/hazmat???

18 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

And how much was shipping/hazmat???

he charged $30 for shipping, total of $170... comes out to like $34 per 1000 which is about a buck less per 1000 than what i paid at the LGS

1 minute ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

he charged $30 for shipping, total of $170... comes out to like $34 per 1000 which is about a buck less per 1000 than what i paid at the LGS

Don't see how anyone can do that if they are paying HazMat...if he IS paying HazMat.

Archived