SASS Wire Forum

How long do you keep stuff?

Since I have been stuck home since Mid-march, I have been unpacking stuff from the last time I moved. I have moved Chicago to Alabama to Southern Illinois to Henderson, Ky and back to Southern Illinois in the last 5 years. I got rid of a bunch of stuff when I left Chicago as I had lived there 25 years and I was splitting up with my wife. My employer paid to move all of my stuff to Alabama and I kept  a lot of stuff. When I moved from Alabama to Southern Illinois, I sold a lot of the things I had moved there. I put everything stuff in a  storage unit when I came back to Southern Illinois and when I went to Kentucky I took what would fit in an apartment and moved the rest to a storage building at the farm.  When I came back to Southern Illinois, I moved everything back to the farm and I now live on the farm and have been cleaning stuff up here. 

Since I may have to move again for job, (found out Friday layoff extended until Aug 1) what stuff do I get rid of this time?

I have all of the Cowboy Chronicles back to about 1997, Shooter books from matches back to 1996, Shoot magazines and Trails End magazines, and stuff of that nature. I found a lot of score sheets from matches and some pictures I don't know who is in them. I know I have appeared or been mentioned in the Chronicle 3 or 4 times but not sure which ones. I was in Shoot Magazine (I have that one as I bought 10 Copies for my mother) but it did not name the shooters in it. I have several boxes with plaques and ribbons and stuff 1st place - 5th place from big and small shoots.

Here is the question--How much Cowboy stuff do you keep? 

Picture is the one from Shoot Magazine for Winter Range 2005. Special Edition  2005. Page 52

Winter range Shoot mag 2005.JPG

I keep very little "stuff".  Mrs. Hangtree keeps enough stuff for 4 people easily.  I figure, if I haven't touched it or needed it in a year, it goes in the big green can.  The only exception is my tools.  Those I never throw away, 'cause as soon as I do, I'll need that tool and have to go to Lowes for a replacement.

Far too much. Any time I decide to attack the junk in the basement or garage, Mrs. Doc doesn't want to do it, because she has other things to do. Add to that my daughters still have a ton of stuff, and we have a number of things that belonged to my mother-in-law that Mrs. Doc couldn't get rid of (I get that) and I end up frustrated beyond belief. Every time I do get the basement cleaned so I can work on models, clean guns and work out, Mrs. Doc or my daughters decide to clean somewhere else and instead of throwing things out, put everything in tubs to "sort through later." Where does it go? You guessed it. The basement.

Like you I have moved a lot. I have gotten rid of a lot of stuff. You could fit everything I have kept regarding SASS in a large box. This doesn’t include guns and gear, of course, but carrying heavy boxes of Cowboy Chronicles and other paraphernalia cross country loses its appeal quick. 

In theory, I would like to move every 5 years just so I could clear the clutter. On the other hand, I hate to move and am somewhat of a pack rat, so everything tends to accumulate. There's always the things you would fix someday or the doodads you might need in the future, but never get around to. Some of this may be inherited. My dad moved some prize cherry wood around for 40 years and never used any of it. He also had every day things and special, only on nice occasion things. The wife and I did move into a much smaller house, so there is an incentive to reduce everything. 

Too much.  In the end only you can decide if the amount of money needed to transport and store something is a productive use of your money.

When I moved into my condo in 2002, I had 47 boxes of books and while I have gotten rid of some of those books more have come into replace them.  As my tastes in reading material changes, I may get rid of some of the books, but inevitably they will be replaced by even more books.

I disposed of most of my magazines years ago and only kept those that had articles of specific value to me.

How much Cowboy stuff do you keep?

Well, when it comes to prizes, trophies, certificates and ribbons, I don't have much of a problem. 

smiley-angry017.gif

4 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Well, when it comes to prizes, trophies, certificates and ribbons, I don't have much of a problem. 

smiley-angry017.gif

I've disposed of most those, cowboy & non-cowboy, as well unless they have some special sentimental value

59 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I've disposed of most those, cowboy & non-cowboy, as well unless they have some special sentimental value

Nice, but I never had any to start with!!!

bangHead.gif

We lived in the Sacramento house over 35 years. Both of us are pack rats. I got rid of all of my magazines (I had every issue of Old House Journal) and paper backs. Since then, I no longer keep magazines (they go in the recycle) or paper backs (they go to the Hospice store).

My closets (they are big) are still full of stuff (art and trinkets) I still haven't unpacked after 12 years in this house. :wacko:

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

smiley-angry017.gif

I still have both of the Cadillacs I've won.

How long?
Until Hell becomes exothermic.

My missus is always on me to throw out stuff I don't use.
They are those items you toss out on Monday, then have a burning need for, on Wednesday.

3 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Nice, but I never had any to start with!!!

bangHead.gif

Some 15 years ago it was easier to win a class.  The advent of race guns, shooting category changes, more movement and shooters who practice a lot has made it much more difficult to win a class and it's been a while since I've even placed in a category unless there are only 2 or 3 of us in that category.

Just now, Chantry said:

Some 15 years ago it was easier to win a class.  The advent of race guns, shooting category changes, more movement and shooters who practice a lot has made it much more difficult to win a class and it's been a while since I've even placed in a category unless there are only 2 or 3 of us in that category.

That is the key (red bold).

I think you mean category.

I keep some stuff longer than I should, but often not as long as I need to!

Wife and I have a nearly terminal case of packratitis!  We have a "spare" bedroom that she uses for clothes she may wear only occasionally.  Some of the dresses still have tags on...from many years ago.  Some have come back in style! :o  I have ties I haven't worn in decades.  I have books inherited from my late father plus two rooms-full of my own!  Black and white photo enlarger I haven't used in probably 15 years.  But I never know when I might want to re-print some old negatives. :rolleyes:  Reloading dies for antique rifles I haven't loaded for or fired in years!  No, I don't want to sell them...yet.  Stuff in our 3-car garage that only lets me park one vehicle...sometimes.

OTOH, my wife kept a bunch of surgical masks she had when taking care of her late mother about 10 years ago!  They have come in handy during the pandemic!  So, you never know... :unsure:

When it comes to Harley Davidson tee shirts and anything gun related, I'm a pack rat.  Otherwise, I'm pretty good about getting rid of stuff.  

Archived