SASS Wire Forum

Pocket Watch?

1.  Do you have a pocket watch? 

2. Do you carry a pocket watch?  

I carry a pocket watch every day.  I don't believe I know of another person that carries a pocket watch.  I suspect most people today use their digital phone as their personal time piece.

I worked around military explosive ordnance, testing mostly small missiles, and I was not allowed to have a digital phone near them.   Wrist watches snagged on containers and such.  So I started carrying a pocket watch about 25 years ago and continued to do so into my retirement.  I carry mine in my jeans watch pocket.  I think most people, when they see the hanging fob, believe it to be my keys.

My every day pocket watch.

pZeU39.jpg

I like the idea of carrying a pocket watch, as I'm basically an "old fashioned" kind of person.  I tried it for a few years.  But the one thing I don't like about them is, when I'm driving and want to know what time it is, the pocket watch is very hard to get to while seated and belted in.  Therefore I always wear a wrist watch.  The only time I remove it is when I'm showering or shooting a match.  I have never understood young folks who wear no watch, and instead have to dig out their cell phone to tell time, when time is so easily available on their wrist.  Just me, I guess.

I have a pocket watch, but it no longer works. I had left it home while in college / military and my dad would use it camping. I don't know what happened to it, but I have been keeping my eye out for another.

I have several wrist watches, including a couple of Omegas from my father-in-law, and one TAG Hauer that was a gift from Mrs. Doc that has taken a beating. I would love to see if I could have it repaired / restored.

I carried a pocket watch as a kid. My parents thought I was odd. It all started with a cheap junky wristwatch my uncle gave me when he came back from Vietnam. It was too big so I wore it on my left bicep. No kidding. I loved my uncle and loved that watch. People thought I was odd. My parents have me a hard time about it but wouldn’t buy me a watch band. My Nanny (grandmother) bought me a pocket watch. I carried a pocket watch up until my 8th grade year when I just had to have a digital watch. For 6 years as a kid I had a pocket watch. 

Since that time I have always worn a wristwatch. I feel naked without one. Lately I am noticing more people wearing wristwatches again. 

I do carry a pocket watch if I am wearing a vest at CAS matches. 

Funny story...or I should say “odd” story. Years ago when I got into SASS I wanted a wind up pocket watch. My wife had bought me a flip faced battery powered pocket watch but I wanted something more traditional. I wanted a wind up watch. I found a Westclox pocket watch just like the one my Nanny gave me when so I bought it and used for years. I would occasionally carry it in my jeans watch pocket IF I wasn’t riding my motorcycle. Pocket watch hip pain in a bike is uncomfortable. 
Anyway, a couple of years ago my old watch was tuckered out and wouldn’t keep time. I sent it into this online watch repair service as I could find no one to repair it on the west coast. 
This “service” wanted to charge me $617.00 to repair and clean the watch! :blink:

I told them “No freakin’ way!”

They said they would get back to me. They needed to reevaluate the cost of just replacing the main spring. 
Two weeks later they contacted me and asked if I had reconsidered. I thought “These people must be high.” So I tried to call them. I could not get a human on the phone. 
I told them I had not “reconsidered” and wanted to speak to someone. “Call me!”
Two more weeks. Another email. Another “No I have not reconsidered!”

They had the watch for well over 2 months at this point. 
I sent another message asking why they cannot just change the mainspring. 
They gave me some BS about how if they change the mainspring they could not do it without reconditioning the watch works and would need at least $250 to do that but they wouldn’t guarantee anything about the repair as I did not fully recondition the watch. 
I am all for helping to keep “craftsman” and people with special talents employed and working but last I checked Con Artists (scum) aren’t “Craftsman”.
I told them to ship my watch back. They said they could but would need $217 as an assessment fee that would include the cost of return shipping.
So, first it was $617 then $250 then  $217 (they like the number “17”) I wrote back and told them I bought the used watch for $40 nearly twenty years earlier and their fees made no sense. I told them to shove it. 
They sent me this email thanking me for donating my watch to their vintage watch restoration efforts along with a form to fill out releasing my watch to them. I never responded. What a bunch of con men/women. 
I tried looking them up some time ago but their website was gone or they changed their name and changed their website. They operated out of San Francisco. 

There were other repair shops online but none we’re interested in working on my old Westclox. 

I have 2....a Hamilton Railroad watch that is gold. Was my Grandfather's as he worked for the Pacific Electric RR (often called "Red Cars") in Los Angeles for 40 years. I also have a Illinois RR watch that was my wife's Grandfather's. He worked for the Santa Fe (his only job as an adult). It is white gold. Both work well. I wear both but not everyday. I do wear one every time I shoot.

I sometimes wear a cheap one with a vest at cowboy events. I would have liked my grandfather's railroad watch, but another family member has it.

I have period correct pocket watches that no longer run which are part of cowboy action match costumes.

I carry this one about half the time, after the Omega I inherited died and became too expensive to repair.  This Swiss Army watch is battery powered and gains 1 second a week compared to NIST Official time.  My old Omega was not that accurate.  I make sure to carry it when visiting our grandson, because he loves holding it and looking at it.

IMG-0733.thumb.jpg.f322066c4b10d4ff66b98021bf110778.jpg

I collect pocket watches (13 so far) and have three that I wear almost daily, two that don't work any more and I can't get repaired, and a pair of stop watches that I've had for years that aren't counted in the 13.  I also have a half dozen wrist watches that are seldom worn any more.

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

I have a pocket watch, but it no longer works. I had left it home while in college / military and my dad would use it camping. I don't know what happened to it, but I have been keeping my eye out for another.

I have several wrist watches, including a couple of Omegas from my father-in-law, and one TAG Hauer that was a gift from Mrs. Doc that has taken a beating. I would love to see if I could have it repaired / restored.

Doc:

Try here:

https://www.tag1000diver.com/

LL

I used to wear them on a chain with my vest when I wore a three piece suit for work.

I still have them and I used one as part of my Classic Cowboy accouterments.

I have a family heirloom pocket watch, that uses a key to wind or set it.

I still have my great grandfather's pocket watch, with a coin in the fob from the 1893 Columbian Exposition.
Back in the day when 3pc suits were in style, I wore it at the office for special occasions.

For daily use, I had an el-cheapo pocket watch so I did not have to constantly remove and replace a wrist watch.

Have?  Yes.  Hamilton 92 (c. 1929), gold fill case, very accurate.

Wear/use?  No.  No easy source for periodic cleaning, oiling, regulating maintenance.

FSTAGH

I have 2.  One is a gold pocket watch I bought myself.  It’s a Bailey, Banks, & Biddle. 

My second pocket watch is a refurbished Hamilton railroad watch that dates to 1934.  Because it’s a RR watch, it keeps good time.

I wear a pocket watch if I am wearing a vest, which is for SASS and whenever I wear my tweeds and kilt.

i have a single and double Albert Chain depending on my mood.

Howdy,

Love Hate watches.

I wore one as a kid and put them in my pocket.

My Mom would come thru and grab laundry and never checked pockets.

Many watches got ruined and I think she kept the change.

I have a nice Elgin with hunter full case.

It works but I have no pocket for it.

My daily is a Reactor that has great night visibility.

It is just a little clunky but ok.

I like the diver band. I can loosen the band if it gets in the way.

Special NOTE....smart phones have to be set correctly

or they don't get the correct time.

I had a big talk with the service about that.

YMMV.

Best

CR

and kids carry a phone in hand all the time.

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Doc:

Try here:

https://www.tag1000diver.com/

LL

Thanks, I'll get in touch with him. I also need to get my Speedmaster in to be checked out soon, but I think that will need to go back to Omega. 

Have one I wear on my vest for CAS.

This story tickled me.

John, my friend and co-worker, told me that he was showing some of his old mechanical wrist watches to his 10-year-old son.  John told his son that these watches don't use batteries, that you wind them up and then they'll run all day.  John's son was amazed and said, "A watch that will run without batteries.  Dad, what will they think of next?!?!?"

Oh.  This is the way I carry my every day pocket watch. ~~~~~ Can you believe it?  They now make jeans without a watch pocket!!!! :o

byqo5H.jpg

I keep my grandfather’s old Citizen wristwatch from Japan. Mom said that watches would just stop working on him after a year, all the time.

I’ve had the original band on it repaired about once every two years. Prolly should just get it a new band.

I did buy a twelve dollar “Mudder” pocket watch in bronze to wear for CAS on my tweed waistcoat though. Only been able to make it to my first match so far, but I consider essential to my budding cowboy career!

20200629_174325.thumb.jpg.2f93e36947d45ed31f0b46787f6e91ec.jpg

Started packing this one around in 1989. Yes I use the watch pocket on my Wranglers. 

20200629_174859.thumb.jpg.194a56dec056e0d520b6bb0c1b770501.jpg

When I want to class the joint up a little bit I'll wear one attached to this braided horsehair outfit I made. I think I made this particular one in 1986.

20200629_175100.thumb.jpg.dbbea58a1206ad74db1754c368a16278.jpg

I have this pocket watch that was my grandpa's. He got it from his father-in-law as a wedding gift in 1927. I need to get a new crystal on it and a cleaning but it does operate.

Howdy,

Tell the kid they used to have crank starters on motor cars.

One time a friend of mine got out his crank and fooled around

crank starting his MGA.

This was back in the 60s.

People stopped in their tracks to watch.

Today I bet he would be on utube or whatever.

I started some cars by parking on a hill, releasing the brake and

popping the clutch in 2nd gear. Started right up usually.

Best

CR

ps See Karate Kid....

7 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

This story tickled me.

John, my friend and co-worker, told me that he was showing some of his old mechanical wrist watches to his 10-year-old son.  John told his son that these watches don't use batteries, that you wind them up and then they'll run all day.  John's son was amazed and said, "A watch that will run without batteries.  Dad, what will they think of next?!?!?"

Oh.  This is the way I carry my every day pocket watch. ~~~~~ Can you believe it?  They now make jeans without a watch pocket!!!! :o

byqo5H.jpg

Where did you find jeans with the watch pocket on the left?  And your belt is on backwards, too.  And your fly is lady-like in the direction it's fastened.

Are you with Alice in the looking glass?

I have a couple pocket watches that work, but I rarely carry them.  The pocket watches are pretty nice.  They run fine, but are inconvenient and (yuk yuk) waste time.

I have a Mickey Mouse battery-fired wrist watch (a gift from my MIL).  I wear it sometimes.

I have a no-name, battery-fired, black waterproof diver wrist watch that is built like a rock, keeps perfect time, has a heavy, thick black nylon web band.  It works in salt water down to at least the 30 feet I’m able to skin dive down to.  Now, almost all the black finish on the brass/stainless-back case has worn off.  I wear it a couple days a week

I have a gold Omega Seamaster with link bracelet.  It’s a windup/self winder that works perfectly.  I wear this one the most.  It isn’t scratched up and it looks like new.  A surprise gift a few years ago from my best girl. ;)

Cat Brules

1 minute ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Whats the no name name?

Best

CR

Uhhh....... “watch”?

Upper left is a Kelbert with an eagle on the lid that  I bought in 1976 ($125). I wore it with my Key Imperial overalls mostly and with a vest to church over the decades,  my daughters stayed entertained with it during the long sermons.  Upper right (Remington) was gifted to me by a friend back in the 90's. Lower left was my dads Helzberg, he couldn't wear a wrist watch because the acid in his skin destroyed the watch backs.  Lower right was a Westclocx  I inherited from my grandpa. The chain and fob on the Kelbert was my wife's grandpa's.

unnamed (1).jpg

4 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Tell the kid they used to have crank starters on motor cars.

One time a friend of mine got out his crank and fooled around

crank starting his MGA.

This was back in the 60s.

People stopped in their tracks to watch.

Today I bet he would be on utube or whatever.

I started some cars by parking on a hill, releasing the brake and

popping the clutch in 2nd gear. Started right up usually.

Best

CR

ps See Karate Kid....

I had three MGAs.  All came with cranks.  I used to use it once in awhile because my dad thought that was the coolest thing about those cars.

My friend had a TR3 that had one, too.  

They doubled as jack handles.

22 minutes ago, Highwall said:

Upper left is a Kelbert with an eagle on the lid that  I bought in 1976 ($125). I wore it with my Key Imperial overalls mostly and with a vest to church over the decades,  my daughters stayed entertained with it during the long sermons.  Upper right (Remington) was gifted to me by a friend back in the 90's. Lower left was my dads Helzberg, he couldn't wear a wrist watch because the acid in his skin destroyed the watch backs.  Lower right was a Westclocx  I inherited from my grandpa. The chain and fob on the Kelbert was my wife's grandpa's.

unnamed (1).jpg

Those all look pretty nice!

CB

I have three. I carried one in the Corps because of radiation. I received a Movado wrist watch for high school graduation and a super fancy Rolex oyster perpetual for college.  They are in my box in the bank. Now, for SASS on my 1875 USMC uniform, I carry the watch I wore working on the North Shore Line. It has a gold link chain with my Deke and Kappa Beta Phi fraternity fraternity pins. I do not use a watch anymore because time no longer means much!   :P

I know a bit off topic, but I was out with Mrs. Doc today because she is wanting a ring made from some diamonds she inherited from her mother. The jeweler we go to is a husband and wife place that has been in business for 42 years, and they are planning on "semi-retiring" soon. They had Citizen watches at half price, and this ended up walking home with me:

IMG_1068.JPG

They are going to put together some sketches for a ring for Mrs. Doc in the next week or two, just so everyone knows it wasn't all about me...

On 6/29/2020 at 1:24 PM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

byqo5H.jpg

Been buying Wrangler "Rustler" pants for many years.  Went to put some change in the watch pocket the other day and the pair I had on didn't have the pocket. I was confused.  It was just that 1 pair out of the dozen or so I own.

17 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Where did you find jeans with the watch pocket on the left?  And your belt is on backwards, too.  And your fly is lady-like in the direction it's fastened.

Are you with Alice in the looking glass?

40, you're looking  at the back side of your screen again.   Man, turn your computer around!!! ;):P

Archived