SASS Wire Forum

First MDQ

Boomstick Bruce

Got my first MDQ today at my first cowboy match of the year. I shoot duelist and use a double strong "buscedaro" drop rig. When I went to draw my left pistol by grabbing it around the frame so I can transition it to my right hand easier, somehow I managed to throw it right on the ground. 3rd stage. Spent the rest of the day doing posse chores. 

Us3d an unfamiliar revolver at EOT many years ago. Big mistake. Light trigger and I fired over the berm on the first shot!  :angry:

My first big match I hit a windowsill with my pistol, my finger in the trigger guard and my thumb cocking the hammer needless to say big boom blew a huge hole in the prop and dropped the pistol, round hit about 5 foot away from the unloading table. Fresh shorts for a few people later my guns were in the truck and I spent the next few days on posse duty. 

Rafe

4 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

Got my first MDQ today at my first cowboy match of the year. I shoot duelist and use a double strong "buscedaro" drop rig. When I went to draw my left pistol by grabbing it around the frame so I can transition it to my right hand easier, somehow I managed to throw it right on the ground. 3rd stage. Spent the rest of the day doing posse chores. 

I gave myself a MDQ last year, dropped a loaded pistol, no one saw it, but I called the penalty thought it was the right thing to do.  And glad to hear that you stuck around and helped out and didn't go right home, that's the cowboy way.

Got one when I snagged the butt of my loaded rifle on my holster as I was moving between firearms. It spun around and and stopped pointing up range instead of down. Like you, I finished the match doing posse chores.

Do this long enough and sooner or later it will happen to everyone.

6 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

Welcome to the club:excl:

It happens.......

OLG 

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

...Do this long enough and sooner or later it will happen to everyone.

Took me about 18 years, but a few years ago I got my MDQ before I even shot.   First stage loading table, missed my holster.  Barrel hit my nerve-damaged big toe to add insult to injury.  Just glad it was a monthly!

6 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I gave myself a MDQ last year, dropped a loaded pistol, no one saw it, but I called the penalty thought it was the right thing to do.  And glad to hear that you stuck around and helped out and didn't go right home, that's the cowboy way.

How do you drop a pistol and no one see it!  Ouch!

I got mine years ago. I fired one Barrel of my double barrel to shoot a target I had missed to to keep a clean match going. I went to shuck the other shotgun shell to save it and accidentally fired it over the berm.  From now on I always fire it out the barrel and don’t worry about trying to save one shotgun shell. Irish ☘️ Pat

22 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

I got mine years ago. I fired one Barrel of my double barrel to shoot a target I had missed to to keep a clean match going. I went to shuck the other shotgun shell to save it and accidentally fired it over the berm.  From now on I always fire it out the barrel and don’t worry about trying to save one shotgun shell. Irish ☘️ Pat

That’s probably not a bad idea. Had a Pard shuck a live round, it hit a pebble or something and BOOM! 

10 hours ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

My first big match I hit a windowsill with my pistol, my finger in the trigger guard and my thumb cocking the hammer needless to say big boom blew a huge hole in the prop and dropped the pistol, round hit about 5 foot away from the unloading table. Fresh shorts for a few people later my guns were in the truck and I spent the next few days on posse duty. 

Rafe

It was probably my 3rd or 4th match, I had stepped in too close to a tight window to get a better view of the targets.  I caught the hammer on the bottom of the sill as as I was drawing strong side.  Drove the gun out of my hand and straight into the gravel below.  There's still a scratch on the barrel from the impact.  I think the TO felt worse about it than I did.  I packed up the guns and picked brass the rest of the day.

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I did it once at the loading table.  The other guy at the table was watching the shooter and didn't notice.  It was before the pistol was loaded, but the rifle was loaded.  I tried to call it on myself but I didn't know the penalty so I asked our TG / PM.  He argued me out of a penalty by saying that since it hadn't been loaded it was the same as if I'd dropped it at my cart.  I've found out since then that he was wrong because the stage starts (for these purposes) as soon as the first gun is placed on the LT.  Learned my lesson either way.  I take more care with the guns at the LT now. 

Dropped my weak side pistol on the transfer to strong hand last year. Stage 6 of 6 as I was shooting my 5th and best match of my first year of shooting. No more loaded pistol transfers for me. Worked on crossdraw and then went gunfighter. 

Your in good company, it's happened to top shooters, bottom of the pack shooters, middle of the pack shooters, and members of the Wild Bunch.

Just gives you something else to practice  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I was at the LT and was the last shooter.  After the guns were checked there was no one there.  I went to holster a pistol and it slipped out of my hand.  This was before I had surgery to repair nerve damage, at the time I had very little feeling in my hand so I had to actually watch what I was doing, that time I didn't watch.

As they say, there's those that have and those that will.  The measure of a shooter isn't what happens, it's what he does afterwards.  You're obviously a fantastic representative of the Cowboy Way by sticking around and doing posse duties even after getting the DQ.  Good on you!

Duelist is coolest.  DOUBLE Duelist is the coolest of the coolest of the cool. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I was at the LT and was the last shooter.  After the guns were checked there was no one there.  I went to holster a pistol and it slipped out of my hand.  This was before I had surgery to repair nerve damage, at the time I had very little feeling in my hand so I had to actually watch what I was doing, that time I didn't watch.

Ouch.  Good for you for cowboying up.

MDQ:   Been there..... done that!  :o

I traveled 3.5 hours to Wartrace.   My first 2 stages were really good... very respectable.

3rd stage loading table, the wind blew my hat off, hat hit the pistol in my hand and knocked it out and onto the ground.

I had just loaded the 1st round in it.    MDQ

There were 2 of us at the Loading Table and the other was a newer shooter.

I told him I was finished for the day and would report my MDQ to the posse marshal.    The newer shooter said:  "But the wind

and your hat knocked it out of your hand.

I said...."there is a live round in the cylinder.  I dropped it.   Its a MDQ and I'm finished for the day".    End of conversation.

It happens and all ya can do is let it go and look forward to the next match.

Yes, I hung around and enjoyed the match.  Besides, I was riding with others who were still shooting..... :lol:

..........Widder

Had my first MDQ last year at a local monthly.  Shot over the berm with my rifle. Fortunately, it was on stage 6. Unfortunately, I was having a great (1 miss) match up until then. :D:angry:

2 years ago. Transitioning from rifle running downrange to pistol targets and My crossdraw pistol jumped out all on its own.<_<:o<_<

It was truly a bad day even after the MDQ. Our line shack ends up with brass on the roof, I got up on the bed rack and was banging on the bottom of the roof trying to get brass down. When I stepped off the bed rack my foot went right through the floor and I went down on my face. I laid there for a couple seconds waiting for the pain of a broken ankle to set in but it never came. None of us know how I didn't manage to break my foot/ankle/leg etc... After that stage was over I pushed my gun cart to my car to pack up for the day and head back to help out. As I was taking one of the wheels off, the bushing that holds the wheel in broke off...

Cody Conagher wrote and set up that match and I'm sad I didn't get to shoot all of it, it looked like it would have been a lot of fun!

Thankfully I made it home after the match was over without wrecking my car! LoL

The difference between people that have experienced a MDQ and those that haven't... is that those that have MDQ'd, have already learned their lesson.  :D

Bordertown 2000, first stage. Stepped off the boardwalk onto gravel to get my staged "brand spanking new" 1866. Slpped, did the splits, and kicked my rifle out of the corner. Rifle went into the air and landed pointing down range. MDQ. Many scratches on the rifle. Stayed and did my posse duties. Came back the second day and worked the posse duties. Big lesson learned. It is all about transistions. Not shooting.

I got mine on the first stage of a monthly match, it had rained the night before, there was water on the floor and I was wearing slick soled boots. I fired 10 shots for the day, hit the floor, jumped up to continue but both loaded pistols were on the floor.  I ran the timer the rest of the day and got a lot of TO practice. 

Randy

It happens to folks, done the sg rd over the berm, snagged the butt of my rifle and away it went and at an ipsc match got called for moving with my finger in the trigger guard. Not the end of the world. The worst screw up that I know of another shooter did at the NE Regional where he went to load his already loaded pistols at the loading table. I guess he stored them loaded in his gun rugs [a no-no] and never looked even when he put them into his holsters when he put on his gun belt at his vehicle. 

Archived