SASS Wire Forum

Shot My First Match...

...yesterday since the lockdown. Decided I would shoot real BP with my infrequently used .45 Open Tops and recently acquired.44-40 Uberti 73 carbine.

Been fiddling with the carbine and getting a short stroke kit to fit since early March and it worked flawlessly yesterday!

Only downside is I was very rusty after the layoff and I performed poorly. Adding to my non-performance was humidity at 95 percent (plus occasional drizzle) and zero wind. Most stages began with the rifle and I couldn’t see anything after the 4th round. 

Still, the smoke and flame made for a great day!

I know the feeling, Slim.  I shot my first match the last weekend of May, and the temp and humidity made it almost unbearable.  The weather conditions in South Alabama and Northwest Florida make it to where I'm miserable shooting from June through August.  So I just skip the really bad summer months.  Being red faced and sweating like a pig takes all of the fun out of shooting for me, especially since our home range isn't conducive to any breeze whatsoever.  I'm looking forward to the late September match so I can rejoin the fold in conditions that are somewhat favorable.

11 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Ugh! Humidity...

As Chickasaw Bill described it:  Air you can wear!  :ph34r:

Arizona, where one can shoot almost any  where safe, and on private or government land, is shut down because of extreme fire hazard.  They have also banned smoking and open fires, require permits to use equipment such as welders or grinders, and are patrolling the highways and byways for vehicles dragging chains.

Crap.  If it isn't one thing it's another.

Archived