SASS Wire Forum

Dardick

Subdeacon Joe

Saw a Dardick .22 at a gun show in Salt Lake City in about 1961.  It didn't have triangular rounds but standard .22 LR were put into a triangular case to make then work.

Seemed to be long on gimmick and short on practicality.  I wasn't impressed and had forgotten about them until you posted this.

Got one the amazing GyroJet?

I remember both of those pistols.  I wonder what would happen if the Gyrojet barrel was fully enclosed?  If the gas pressure from the burning propellant was kept in the barrel, it would seem to me that the velocity of the shell would increase at the muzzle.  Of course, there would need to be some device/method to keep the pressure in the barrel instead of it blowing out backwards.  As I recall, the "gimmick" was the cartridge and the pistol was just a launcher.

15 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

I remember both of those pistols.  I wonder what would happen if the Gyrojet barrel was fully enclosed?  If the gas pressure from the burning propellant was kept in the barrel, it would seem to me that the velocity of the shell would increase at the muzzle.  Of course, there would need to be some device/method to keep the pressure in the barrel instead of it blowing out backwards.  As I recall, the "gimmick" was the cartridge and the pistol was just a launcher.

Thanks, Joe.  I have an acquaintance who  still has a Gyrojet pistol and a box of ammo for it.He bought in way back when and the ATF knows he has it and has allowed him to keep it.  I don't remember why  it wasn't legal for a spell (it may or may not still be), but he got 'er done.

I came home fro 'Nam in '69 and we took it up Green Canyon north of Logan, Utah before that real estate became an upscale, over priced housing complex for rich Californians.

The gun was hoot to shoot, but I've seen betted accuracy from a toy bow and arrow.  When you pull the trigger the hammer, which is in front of the cartridge, drives the cartridge back wars onto the firing pin and when it fires the whole shebang goes down the barrel and pushes the hammer back forward and down to re-cock it.  (Rube Goldberg would be so proud.)  The vents at the rear of the round were drilled at an angle to give it spin it when it fired (Smooth bore) and I've been told that that was one of the problems: the vents weren't drilled as accurately as they might be today and it "wobbled its way down range.  It also didn't lose velocity or drop from its line of travel until the "fuel" ran out, but that wasn't consistent, either.  Problem number two.  Number three was the whole thing was flimsy and didn't fell like it was put together too well. Four was it's just plain UGLY: Buck Rogers phony tech ugly.

Guess I'll try to get in touch with Chet and see if he still has it.

Archived