SASS Wire Forum

1886 Winchester Loading Gate

I have a Chiappa 1886 Winchester Takedown that I love except for one thing, that’s right , it’s a “meat grinder” on your fingers. ANyone have any info on how to lighten the loading gate on these rifles? It is an exact copy of the Winchester(no funky safety or rebounding hammer, if that matters.

Help!

I have not done it on an 86 but on my 92s the way I lightened the loading gate is to take out the spring and relieve some metal along each side. The more metal you take off the lighter it will be but you don't want to take off too much.

The 86 may be similar. 

Edit: Actually looks like the loading gate on an 86 is completely different from the 92. 

I'd bet you can still relieve some metal from the main spring (Part number 39) though and get it lighter. 

First obtain a spare loading gate spring or two just in case something goes wrong.

Remove the spring so that you can thin it in width only.

You'll need a small rotary sander / grinder to do this. Be sure that any tool marks are parallel to the long axis of the spring. 

Take care to to NOT over heat it.

Make it a loose hourglass shape. Try to take material from each edge equally. Go slow and test often.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

First obtain a spare loading gate spring or two just in case something goes wrong.

You'll need a small rotary sander / grinder to do this. Be sure that any tool marks are parallel to the long axis of the spring. 

Take care to NOT over heat it.

Make is a loose hourglass shape. Try to take material from each edge equally. Go slow and test often.

Pretty sure that is what was meant

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

10 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Take care to to NOT over heat it.

Make it a loose hourglass shape. Try to take material from each edge equally. Go slow and test often.

Uhhhh... For a model 1886????

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Uhhhh... For a model 1886????

Has a flat spring on the backside about 1.5 inches long.  You would shape it the same as you would the loading gate or trigger spring on a 92 clone. Learned how to do this from Nate Kiowa Jones. It isn't rocket science.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Has a flat spring on the backside about 1.5 inches long.  You would shape it the same as you would the loading gate or trigger spring on a 92 clone. Learned how to do this from Nate Kiowa Jones. It isn't rocket science.

So Dave, are you saying to “Hour Glass” shape it?

49 minutes ago, Ninety Caliber Al, 50218 said:

So Dave, are you saying to “Hour Glass” shape it?

When I get home I'll make a sketch and upload it to give you a general idea.

here is a sketch. Red line is the general shape. As I stated before take a little material at a time and test often. Also have a spare or two just in case something does wrong.

1700725796_1886loadinggate.png.2dab9f38490a7b635bca5cadf486adf2.png

I just push cartridges in partway, then use the next cartridge to push the first one in.  For the last round, I just use another round or a short dowel rod as a pusher.  Your mileage may vary, and it is your choice to modify the spring or not.

Stay well, Pards!

19 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

here is a sketch. Red line is the general shape. As I stated before take a little material at a time and test often. Also have a spare or two just in case something does wrong.

1700725796_1886loadinggate.png.2dab9f38490a7b635bca5cadf486adf2.png

Thanks! It looks like I can take the gate off without further disassembly, is that correct?

50 minutes ago, Ninety Caliber Al, 50218 said:

Thanks! It looks like I can take the gate off without further disassembly, is that correct?

I am not sure. I have never taken an 86 apart. 
 I have however done the same modification to similar springs. 

Also...when you grind the loading gate spring...buff out all the marks left by grinding.Make it look untouched...but polished. Every mark left is a potential breaking point

Archived