SASS Wire Forum

Why you suppose this is?

Alpo

For my 12th birthday I received a copy of The Hardy Boys, THE MYSTERY OF DEVIL'S PAW. This takes place in Alaska, and Frank and Joe and their friend Chet are camping.

Among their camp supplies was canned potato salad.

I had never heard of such a thing, but what did I know - I was 12.

Jump forward to about the year 2000, and I see this in a store.

81LhB8gn0qL._SR500,500_.jpg

How about that. They DO make canned potato salad.

But this is German potato salad. Vinegar-based.

I wonder why they do not make what I consider "normal potato salad" - mayonnaise based?

Any thoughts?

When I first read the book, neither did I. But around the time I hit 40 I tried some again and it was pretty good.

Apparently tastes change as you age.

Except for okra and cooked spinach. That will always be nasty.

Why do you say that?

Both of these are tuna salad. Tuna, mayonnaise, pickles and onions.

The "best by" date in about 2 years.

What is the difference between mayonnaise in a can and mayonnaise in a jar?

IMG_20200628_135702.jpg

Actually mayonnaise is not the problem.

How Risky Is Mayo?

The claim: Mayonnaise is a major source of foodborne illness.

The facts: This myth continues to circulate, even on some reputable websites. Granted, summertime picnic spreads that include heaping bowls of potato salad, chicken salad, tuna salad, and egg salad can easily be the source of food poisoning if these foods are left out in the heat. But here’s the thing: Commercial mayonnaise—made primarily of water, vegetable oil, and eggs—isn’t the culprit.

The mayonnaise myth began back when it was more common to make mayonnaise from scratch. But commercial mayonnaise doesn’t cause food poisoning for a couple of reasons. One is that it is made with pasteurized eggs, which carry virtually no risk of contamination. Second, commercially prepared mayonnaise must adhere to what’s known as a “standard of identity” set by the FDA—that is, it must be made with specific ingredients in a specific way. Two of the required ingredients for mayonnaise are vinegar and lemon juice, in set amounts. Both are acidic, and acid is the enemy of foodborne bacteria.

According to a review of literature, published in the Journal of Food Protection, Salmonella, E. coli, Listeria, and other harmful bacteria die when “inoculated” into mayonnaise. “Acidity is the most important intrinsic characteristic of mayonnaise, dressings, and sauces in determining the growth and the survival of pathogenic bacteria,” the paper noted. At the time of publication (2000), there had been no incidences of foodborne illness associated with commercially produced mayonnaise, giving it a “remarkable safety record.” There are no reports from the CDC since then, either.

The fact is, it is the ingredients that are commonly paired with mayonnaise that are the risky ones. Chicken, tuna, potatoes, and eggs, for example, are all less acidic than mayonnaise and thus more susceptible to bacterial growth. Combine that with temperatures above 40°F and any bacteria that may be present will double in as little as 20 minutes. If mayonnaise is part of the dish, bacterial growth is actually diminished, though mixing mayonnaise with contaminated ingredients doesn’t make a dish safe. Food safety rules still apply.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

For my 12th birthday I received a copy of The Hardy Boys, THE MYSTERY OF DEVIL'S PAW. This takes place in Alaska, and Frank and Joe and their friend Chet are camping.

Among their camp supplies was canned potato salad.

I had never heard of such a thing, but what did I know - I was 12.

Jump forward to about the year 2000, and I see this in a store.

81LhB8gn0qL._SR500,500_.jpg

How about that. They DO make canned potato salad.

But this is German potato salad. Vinegar-based.

I wonder why they do not make what I consider "normal potato salad" - mayonnaise based?

Any thoughts?

Some people (me) don't like mayo, but I do like German vinegar based potato salad.

German potato salat is normal!  :)

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

When I first read the book, neither did I. But around the time I hit 40 I tried some again and it was pretty good.

Apparently tastes change as you age.

Except for okra and cooked spinach. That will always be nasty.

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

BTW, the first thing we made in Junior High (7th to 9th) was mayonnaise. That is all I remember of that class. It was okay, I guess.

Also BTW, my mother liked/bought Miracle Whip.

Let's Talk About Cat Barf

I still like it.  Got a new jar day before yesterday.

5 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I do like German vinegar based potato salad.

Read's is as good as any I every made from scratch - make what you will of that.

My MIL made the best EVER Southern potato salad.  Mine's ok but not as good as hers.

Miracle Whip is not mayo.  All you need to know.  Like it all you want - your business. But it's not mayo.

7 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Some people (me) don't like mayo, but I do like German vinegar based potato salad.

Same here

way back in high school it was a treat to get the German potato Salad in a can to split with my brother for lunch. Neither of us really liked chips or Fritos

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Howdy,

At family reunions my Mom and Aunt Shirley had an ongoing contest

as to which made the best potato salad.

The judge was which bowl got empty first.

I loved em both.

My cousin denys having the receipe.

I have the one my Mom put in the wood box.

Of course little changes weren't included.

When I was a kid getting my first job sakin groceries I never

knew how long my shift would last.

I often bought a can of potato salad to get me thru.

Compared to Moms and Aunt Shirley it was just canned potatoes.

Many of Moms ingrediants came right out of the garden out back.

And uncle Tom brought the cream for coffee. God bless his heart.

Wish I had some for this cup. Wish I had him to share.

Best

CR

Archived