SASS Wire Forum

Help identify rifle

Chief Rick

My wife came across a photo that her mom has saved on a CD.

How they got there and when, who knows.  Her parents don't have internet and barely know how to turn the computer on.

Sorry, but these are the bets/highest resolution images that I can get until my wife gets back home to our computer.

Any ideas?

No description available.

My first thought is that it's a single shot shotgun looking at the thickness of the hammer and breech.  I'm sure others with more experience will chime in.  Ciao

I was wrong.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Don't thing it is a Rolling Block. The trigger guard is wrong.

Its one of the Steven's Favorite models. Hard to tell which one.

STEVENS FAVORITE CAPTIONED.jpg

With no more than just a guess, I agree with SD.   The Stevens 'Favorite' would be my guess.

..........Widder

16 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Honestly younz.  I don't have a clue.  Honestly.

Me neither - but we have a lot of folks here that do.

Is a rifle with a barrel sight, not a shotgun.  The action is a falling block activated by the finger lever - excludes being a Remington.
The high action cut shape and the perch belly stock and forearm  shape indicate the rifle being a JM Marlin Ballard with about a #3 heavy octagon barrel.  Am I positive? No .....  

Based on the curve on the back of the block and the shape of the trigger guard/lever it looks like a Stevens Favorite.  The small barrel size would argue for it being a .22 but it could be a model 44, which was a slightly larger version for small game center fire cartridges.  Here is a picture of my son’s Model 1894 .22 Favorite at the same angle for comparison. 

8C8A4667-9A4B-41F3-9EF3-7A6A3C1D77B0.jpeg

Doc-  I blew it, it is not Ballard ! :angry:

You are on the money: a Stevens has a tang connecting to the action which this rifle has. A Ballard has a bolt through the stock connecting to the action

Proof positive would be if we could see the bottom of the action and if there was the ring or turn bolt (model dependent) to disconnect the barrel. Ballards are threaded screw on barrels 

The action is definitely a Stevens and it looks like there is a visible takedown screw. It is most probably a Stevens Favorite.

Lucky

12 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I wonder....where it could be now? 

W.K.

I don't know.

My wife's father gave her a Steven's .22.

I have on very similar to the one in Chief Rick's post.   Was one of my Grandfather's. Mine has a shorter stock, a part octagon barrel(about 1/3), and a lanyard loop takedown screw.

Archived