SASS Wire Forum

Slippery Hands

Tequila Shooter

I shot a match today in Southern LA and with high humidity, my hands were sweating so bad I thought for sure I'd drop a pistol.  And shooting duelist even with lowered hammers it was a challenge to pull the hammer without my thumb slipping off.  

Looking for a recommendation for something that I can use that'll give me some grip.  I thought of chalk but I'm hoping someone knows of something better. 

Pro Grip is great.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/gloves-grip-accessories/grip-enhancers/pro-grip-enhancer-prod7619.aspx

Keeps hands dry and sweat free. Much better grip. Does not leave grips all tacky after like rosin.

Slick is making and selling some stuff that I have not got to try yet.

But heard it work good also.

East Tennessee his hot and humid in the summer.  I wear good wrist sweat bands (see below) and I keep a medium size microfiber towel in my back pocket.  I dry my hands right before I shoot each stage.  Both of these items really help.

https://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-Performance-Wristband-Midnight/dp/B004KH3PAQ/ref=sr_1_49?dchild=1&keywords=sweat+absorbing+wristbands&qid=1593290325&sr=8-49

Actually, I like to use a good quality carnuba wax on grips, especially smooth wood.    apply to my rifle too.      GW

40 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

East Tennessee his hot and humid in the summer.  I wear good wrist sweat bands (see below) and I keep a medium size microfiber towel in my back pocket.  I dry my hands right before I shoot each stage.  Both of these items really help.

https://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-Performance-Wristband-Midnight/dp/B004KH3PAQ/ref=sr_1_49?dchild=1&keywords=sweat+absorbing+wristbands&qid=1593290325&sr=8-49

I went through 2 terry cloth towels.  My wife said they smelled like a wet buffalo ;)

49 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Tell us about the grips on your handguns. 

OLG 

Today I used pistols with wood grips (hoping it'd help), the other pistols are stag grips.

Mueller Magic Grip

https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Magic-Grip-Spray-3-Ounce/dp/B001IF3RXS

A 3 ounce spray can lasts me about 2 years shooting most weekends.

Good luck, GJ

I don't like checkered grips.  Fortunately my hands don't sweat too much, but on those hot days I have a can of Sure spray antiperspirant in the car.  Give a spray to one palm, rub hands together, wipe on towerl.  They stay dry all day.

Georgia summers can be pretty hot, but I guess my hands don’t sweat much. When they do I wipe them on my jeans. Works for me.

Sweat on my head is a whole nother thing though. For that I carry two bandanas, one for my face and head and one for my glasses.

If it’s raining Pro Grip helps.

Looking for a recommendation for something that I can use that'll give me some grip.

One of the reasons why grips are checkered is to prevent the handgun, rifle and shotgun  from slipping out of the shooter's hands

From July 2006 Brimstone Gazette

http://www.cliffhangershideout.com/gazette/2006/jul06.html

===============================

Getting a Grip by Cliff Hanger

At so many matches I see shooters at the firing line wiping their hands off before they start. It's not those that wipe their hands once but those that keep doing it over and over before saying they're ready. Most of this is most likely nerves. And with this nervousness comes sweaty hands. 

What I would like to share at this time with those of us that have this problem at times is a simple little trick I learned in a jr high science class. Along with all the other science stuff, the teacher explained the reasons we get sweat hands and how to control it. His example was, "What to do when you go for your job interview!" You do not want to shake hands with anyone when you have sweaty hands. All us kids thought this was silly. As the lesson went on he said no one would go to an interview without first taking a bath and putting on clean clothes. As the time gets closer to the interview everyone tends to get nervous. The first signs are your palms getting damp. His little secret to controlling this was simple. As you get dress, take the same deodorant you use and put it on your palms. This will stop the perspiration on your hands.

Now using this little trick in our sport you will now have better gun control. You will have to learn to grip your guns correctly before using them. This is because your hands will no longer slip. To change your grip if it should need adjusting, you will actually have to release your grip. Reposition the gun and regrip it. 

Another suggestion is to use an unscented spray on. This stops the funny looks you will no doubt get from the perfumed hand you will have if you do not use an unscented product.

I used Pro Grip and it works well but switched to @Slick McClade’s Magic Hand Chalk after I forgot my Pro Grip and a Cowboy gave me Slick’s stuff  loved it ... it’s not as chalky and works great. Plus, it’s a cowboy owned business, so that makes it even better!

Happy Trails and Big Hugs!

Scarlett

I gave up my ivory grips because of humidity. Now, my grips are checkered walnut.;)

I have no problem at all with my Colt grips. and I do sweat alot. Checkering really helps alot.

I appreciate all the input on checkered grips.  These are bird's head NMV with checkered wood grips, maybe it the size/shape of the grips that made hard to hold.

3 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I appreciate all the input on checkered grips.  These are bird's head NMV with checkered wood grips, maybe it the size/shape of the grips that made hard to hold.

Therein lies your problem; birdhead's are a little awkward even when hands are dry.

11 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Therein lies your problem; birdhead's are a little awkward even when hands are dry.

I just bought them used and this was my first match with them.  I really liked the lowered hammers, but it may be better to use them when the weather cools off.  @Tyrel Cody I'm planning to try my new to me C&B guns at the next match :D

Just now, Tequila Shooter said:

I just bought them used and this was my first match with them.  I really liked the lowered hammers, but it may be better to use them when the weather cools off.  @Tyrel Cody I'm planning to try my new to me C&B guns at the next match :D

Glad he finally finished them; I'm sure you'll love them.

1 minute ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Now I've got to decide when to pay him :ph34r:

Surprised you didn't have to up front, regardless I'd probably write the check and then wait 10 days to mail it :ph34r:

:lol::lol::lol:

I haven’t tried Slick McClade’s Magic Hand Chalk, but then, I’ve never had a significant problem gripping my USFA revolvers with their factory-checkered black “plastic” composition grip panels.  I’m sure others’ checkered grips are just as good, though.  I’m going to order Slick McClade’s Hand Chalk thingie anyway.  It can at times get very hot here, and his Hand Chalk will be good to have available, not just for shooting.

Please Note Also, the magic word here is “cotton”.  I suggest you do not use polyester or other synthetic cloth for your wrist sweat bands, OR for your hand/face wiper.  I suggest you consider cannibalizing a tshirt and sew two layers together, to the proper (length/width) size.

Cat Brules

1 hour ago, Cat Brules said:

Please Note Also, the magic word here is “cotton”.  I suggest you do not use polyester or other synthetic cloth for your wrist sweat bands, OR for your hand/face wiper.  I suggest you consider cannibalizing a tshirt and sew two layers together, to the proper (length/width) size.

Cat Brules

Why??  I thought the synthetic did a good job.

On 6/27/2020 at 6:05 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Move to some place that isn't hell.

Like Florida.

Been a comfortable 95° here.

You do need to wear scuba gear to breathe though.

20 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I used Pro Grip and it works well but switched to @Slick McClade’s Magic Hand Chalk after I forgot my Pro Grip and a Cowboy gave me Slick’s stuff  loved it ... it’s not as chalky and works great. Plus, it’s a cowboy owned business, so that makes it even better!

Happy Trails and Big Hugs!

Scarlett

+1 for Slick McClade's hand chalk. It works well.

On 6/27/2020 at 4:25 PM, Tequila Shooter said:

I went through 2 terry cloth towels.  My wife said they smelled like a wet buffalo ;)

How does she know what wet buffalos smell like?

On 6/27/2020 at 3:29 PM, Tequila Shooter said:

I shot a match today in Southern LA and with high humidity, my hands were sweating so bad I thought for sure I'd drop a pistol.  And shooting duelist even with lowered hammers it was a challenge to pull the hammer without my thumb slipping off.  

Looking for a recommendation for something that I can use that'll give me some grip.  I thought of chalk but I'm hoping someone knows of something better. 

Yeah, It gets so hot here in South Louisiana that you can hardly stand to be out there. Much less holding on to a pair of pistols. Checkered grips help some. Have heard good things about McClades hand chalk. 

9 hours ago, twelve mile REB said:

Why??  I thought the synthetic did a good job.

I found synthetics cause me to sweat more, become sticky and hot, they’re slower to remove moisture from the skin and slower to evaporate it out than cotton.  Plus, I think they hold onto and intensify odor.

I rather feel as if I’m in a plastic outfit with synthetic garments; they  just don’t work for me.

BUT, we all know that most people do wear synthetics and prefer them.  So, if they work as well or better for you than “natural” fiber, then of course you should wear them.

Cat Brules

Archived