SASS Wire Forum

I Went To A Gun Show Today

J-BAR #18287

RK Gunshows returned to Springfield, Missouri this weekend with a two day show. I went this morning mainly to see how it might differ from gun shows that had been held before the Covid Lockdown. Not much has changed at all.

The promoter I spoke with estimated there were 150 exhibitors and close to 400 tables, and that appeared to be a reasonable estimate. Masks were not required, but I wore one since my missus and I are over 70. Not many visitors and only a few exhibitors wore masks. There were traffic control arrows on the floor which were being ignored.  Prices on guns and merchandise were about the same as I remember from previous shows; optimistic price tags but the seller would offer to take 10% off any gun you looked at for more than a few seconds! There appeared to be the usual mix of new and used firearms, and if someone were looking for a specific gun chances were pretty good that you could find it. The only gun I actually handled was an Anschutz .22 target rifle. I got a thing for target rifles since I shot on the ROTC rifle team in high school.  If it had inserts for the front sight I would have been more tempted. My only purchase was some Federal Small Pistol Primers, $40 per thousand out the door, which, considering their general scarcity was OK I thought. Some ammunition was also available, but perhaps a bit less than I had seen at previous shows.

Altogether, it was bigger and better attended than I expected, with a fair mix of guns, reloading supplies, and ammo. Not a bad way to spend an hour and a half on a Saturday morning.

Because of your age, everybody Else should have been wearing masks. But people still don’t seem to get it.

I really never felt threatened; no one was coughing or sneezing or contacting me as I moved around.  If I had felt uncomfortable, I would have just left or not gone in the first place.  I understand how masks can be troubling for some folks.  I was used to wearing one while performing surgery daily for 23 years, but most people don’t get that chance to acclimate.  One of my favorite exhibitors, a collectible S&W dealer, said that the virus would magically disappear after November 4, because no one would be talking about it after the election.  It will be interesting to see if his prediction comes true!  I had my annual physical last week and my Doc was pleased with my labs.  She has not diagnosed nor treated a case of Coronavirus yet.  I’d rather go to a gunshow in Springfield than visit New York or Chicago or Seattle!

;)

In Texas, mask-wearing had started to decline, but the recent surge in cases has prompted an urgency to force businesses to require customers and retailers to wear masks.

I look at this way:  it’s the new courtesy we extend to others.  You wear a mask In order not to possibly spread your virus.  It doesn’t protect you.

Archived