SASS Wire Forum

Pork Belly

Subdeacon Joe

My bride sent me a recipe that calls for pork belly.  I  stopped by a restaurant supply outfit to check prices. 

That chunk is about 18 x 9 x 2.

Local supermarket  has much smaller pieces at $6.99 per pound. 

Next weekend. 

20200626_155001.jpg

20200626_155009.jpg

Yep.

I often shop at a Wholesalers buy entire tenderloins, vacuum wrapped, then cut them into steaks and freeze them.

About a third or less than the grocery store prices.

Here is how I plan to use some of it, the which I have made before (and then wrote down after tasting it):

Glazed Pork Belly – Instant Pot
Pork Belly cut into 2” x 2” chunks.
Salt
½ cup Molasses
½ cup Jim Beam Apple
Pinch of Sugar
Pinch of Savory Spice Harissa Powder
Pinch of Savory Spice Berberi Powder
Salt pork on all sides lightly.
Brown pork on all sides in skillet.  
While this is happening mix the Molasses, Jim Beam Apple, and sugar in a bowl until well combined, set aside.
Pull pork from pan, pour off grease.  Remove pan from heat, add in the Molasses/Bourbon mix to deglaze. Return to heat to reduce.  

Place pork in one layer in pressure cooker.  Add glaze.  Cook under pressure for 40 minutes.  Natural release for 10 minutes, then vent.
Brown pork in skillet.  Pour liquid from pressure cooker into heat proof cup, ladle off fat.  Pour glaze over pork in skillet.  Remove from heat.
Enjoy.

Some will go for this, which I have not made before:

Instant Pot Carnitas by Food Network Kitchen
Ingredients
1 - 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
2 - 1 pound pork belly, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 - 1/2 cup lager, homemade chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
4 - Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
5 - 1 tablespoon chili powder
6 - 1 teaspoon ground cumin
7 - 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
8 - Serving suggestions: Warm corn tortillas, pico de gallo, lime wedges, guacamole, chopped onion, chopped cilantro and shredded cabbage 

Directions

1 - Put the pork shoulder, pork belly, lager, chili powder, cumin, coriander, 1 heaping tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper in a 6-quart Instant Pot® and follow the manufacturer's guide for locking the lid and preparing to cook. Set to pressure cook on high for 60 minutes (see Cook's Note). After the pressure cook cycle is complete, follow the manufacturer's guide for quick release and wait until the quick release cycle is complete. Be careful of any remaining steam and unlock and remove the lid. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a small bowl, cover and set aside. Set the pot to saute on high and reduce the liquid until almost completely evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes. Set the pot to off and transfer the reduced sauce to the meat, then toss to coat and serve.
2 - For crispy carnitas (optional): Transfer the reduced sauce and cooked carnitas to a large nonstick skillet over high heat and cook, undisturbed, for 5 minutes. Toss and continue to cook for about 5 minutes more to crisp other side. Transfer to a paper towel lined platter, making sure to scrape up any browned bits from the skillet, and serve.
3 - Serve the carnitas with the tortillas, pico de gallo, lime wedges, guacamole, onion, cilantro and cabbage.

The rest I'll try making into bacon.

A local barbecue place in Fort  Worth has what they call burnt bacon ends. They use pork belly for this. I occasionally buy a pound to go. It is worth every penny.

Horace

Our daughter has a weird thing called I believe Menere's disease, vertigo so bad it can put her in bed for a week or so. Only treatment they've found effective is as little sodium as possible. Of course that counts out bacon. I buy pork bellies and smoke them for her with a sodium free spice. She loves them, esp. since she can't have regular bacon.

JHC

So, that’s what pork belly is!  All this time I thought it was BS attached to a bill in Congress. Just shows how ignorant I am. 

Archived