SASS Wire Forum

Not Firecrackers

Joke 'um

Sorry if it is a long story.

A week ago, about, I'm going to bed.  I lay down and turn on my tablet to do some reading.  While lying there, waiting for the tablet to 'spin up', I hear "POP    POP POP    POP POP    POP."  "Those weren't firecrackers!"  I rolled off the bed and lay flat on the floor.  My dog tried real hard to hide under me, shaking like a leaf.  We waited.  No more sounds.  As quiet as can be.  After my heart slowed down, I put on my cargo shorts, stuck the Glock 43 in my pocket and grabbed my flashlight.  Still quiet.  "Why no sirens?"  Opened the front door.  Dead quiet.  Looked around on the west side of the house (where the sounds came from).  Nothing.  Calmed down.  Went back to bed.  Next morning, I looked around for bullet holes, etc.  Nothing.

This morning there is a collection of four police cars in the street at the NW corner of the house.  They arrested some guy for something.  When they were done, one of the officers came to my front door.  He had a small paper bag.  He asked if anyone has been shooting around here lately.  I told him the above story.  He showed me six steel 9mm cases, in the bag, that he had found in my yard while doing his arrest.

Guess I should have called it in.  What do you think?

Depends. Will your police come if you report possible gun shots. 

When I lived in Elk Grove CA someone fired a gun not half a block from my house. They shot 6 times. Called police and was told l “We’ll make a note of it in case someone reports something else.” :blink:

56 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Depends. Will your police come if you report possible gun shots. 

When I lived in Elk Grove CA someone fired a gun not half a block from my house. They shot 6 times. Called police and was told l “We’ll make a note of it in case someone reports something else.” :blink:

"Something else..."  Like what?  Someone not picking up dog poop?  :huh:

22 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

"Something else..."  Like what?  Someone not picking up dog poop?  :huh:

I have no idea. Maybe a body? Maybe a severe tongue lashing? The 911 operator hung up as soon as she said it. 

Howdy,

I bet they would change their tune if you said you were grabbing your shotgun

and going to check things out for yourself.

I bet.

Best

CR

22 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

I bet they would change their tune if you said you were grabbing your shotgun

and going to check things out for yourself.

I bet.

Best

CR

Reminds me of a joke I heard.

A man sees someone breaking into his shed. He calls police. They say they don't have anyone available right now. They'll be there as soon as they can, but it may be two hours. The man hangs up.

A few minutes later he calls again and tells them to take their time. He's pulled out his rifle and shot the man. He's not going anywhere. Within minutes the place is swarming with police, helicopters, cars, dogs, etc. They find the man breaking into the shed and arrest him.

The police go to the man, "I thought you said you shot him!" The man responds "I thought you said you had no one available"

When my son was a toddler, I had him by the hand in the Sears store here in Ottawa, when I heard s number of shots.

I dove to the ground and lay on top of my son and yelled for people to get down, someone was shooting, whereupon, the mental giants around me stood higher to look around, "Where abouts? I don't see anything!" all the while two more shots were fired.

(I guess they wanted to stop one with their heads or bodies. One in the head likely wouldn't have done any damage.)

It was a hold-up of the Brinks drivers retrieving the cash receipts from the store.

There was an exchange of shots between the guard(s) and the thieves, who all got away, although the guard was seriously injured.

Later, I walked around the door area where the thieves exited and found where a car had peeled out and blood trail across the parking lot.

It appeared to me the thieves took off leaving one of their number.

I went in and tried to tell the investigators that the guard had hit one and there was a blood trail across the parking lot, only to be shooed away by the Defectives.

I mentioned it to my neighbour, Tom, when I got home, and he followed up on it. .

There was a bit of butt chewing later the same day but it was a bit too late.

You see, he was one of the Deputy Chiefs at that time, (Later Chief Tom Welch)

19 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I live about 4 houses from a city park. There is a gun range there only open from midnight to 3 am.

Memorial Park in Fort Wayne!

Archived