SASS Wire Forum

The Pattern Room, with Ian

Subdeacon Joe

25 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Does anyone else notice that muzzle awareness is almost nonexistent on these shows?

Yeah, l  cringed several times.  But also, with what the lens does to angles I'll give them a grudging benefit of the doubt. 

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Yeah, l  cringed several times.  But also, with what the lens does to angles I'll give them a grudging benefit of the doubt. 

Ian uses a single camera set up and is generally the only person in the room.Before he starts filming he has taken the gun apart as far as possible to make sure that he understands how it functions. I doubt that you are in any danger from a video filmed sometimes years ago.

Next you’ll be whining about the character in a movie on TV sweeping you in your recliner 

9 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Ian uses a single camera set up and is generally the only person in the room.Before he starts filming he has taken the gun apart as far as possible to make sure that he understands how it functions. I doubt that you are in any danger from a video filmed sometimes years ago.

Next you’ll be whining about the character in a movie on TV sweeping you in your recliner 

Um....I was talking about how it looks like a lot of sweeping people on the set is going on. 

I think we all know that the firearms have been checked,  rechecked, and rechecked

again.   Still bad practice to sweep someone. 

Also note that I suggested that the apparent on set sweeps might be due to how the camera can make things look and so give the benefit of the doubt,  maybe they weren't sweeping each other. 

31 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Um....I was talking about how it looks like a lot of sweeping people on the set is going on. 

I think we all know that the firearms have been checked,  rechecked, and rechecked

again.   Still bad practice to sweep someone. 

Also note that I suggested that the apparent on set sweeps might be due to how the camera can make things look and so give the benefit of the doubt,  maybe they weren't sweeping each other. 

There is no one else on the set to sweep 

On 6/27/2020 at 1:45 PM, Henry T Harrison said:

Sets a bad example.  One of the first things I learned about gun handling from my dad when I was 9 years old was muzzle awareness.

Breaking the 170rule is an example of this.

A few weeks ago I was in the local gun shop at the counter. There were two women standing there side-by-side and the owner, behind the counter (the new owner) actually had a semi automatic pistol in his hand and was absentmindedly playing with it and he swept me and the two women next to me with the muzzle.  I told him, “Don’t sweep me with that weapon, or any weapon again; understand!”

Well, one of the women volunteered, “The gun is not loaded“.

I said to her, “How do you know it’s not loaded“

She replied, “He wouldn’t have a loaded gun in the store“.

I replied, “Do you wanna bet your life on that!?  Unless you check it yourself, you can assume any gun IS loaded.   Even then, you need to treat the gun is if it IS loaded, especially if you’re carrying it around.  You can’t just sweep people with a firearm, and you can’t trust anyone else who has possession of it; do you understand that?”   She replied, “Yes sir“.  Of course, they just looked at each other and then looked at me, as if I were crazy.

I leaned over the counter, telling the newbie gun shop owner, “You better remember that too, Bud!  You’re going to wind up killing somebody in here!”  

He just glared at me.  The moron.  I have been back to the store since, because I have pending business there, but he always calls his wife to come over now to take care of my business. That’s dandy with me.

Cat Brules

What I see is three men in white gloves sitting around a table in a section of a museum not open to the public examining several firearms. Their trigger discipline is excellent and they do try to avoid sweeping each other which is pretty difficult to do while doing a detailed examination of the gun. If their gun handling bothers you so much then don’t watch them  

Archived