SASS Wire Forum

Starter Shotgun?

Kid Cali

An even more complete list of the Ithaca SKB models which were made in the '60s - '80s

From ShootingSportsman.com forum.

All had single selective triggers. 100 series (100 and 150) had plain ejectors and light stamped engraving. 100 had splinter forend and a pistol grip. 150 had a semi-beavertail forend and a pistol grip.

200 and 280 had more engraving, gold plated trigger, and changed cosmetically over time. Amount of engraving increased in later guns. Later Model 200 guns had bright finish (on receiver).  Both had ejectors.  280 E. (E. stands for English) had straight grip stock and 200 had pistol grip. Both had a semi-beavertail forend.

Ithaca is in the name, because the design was by Ithaca.  Production was in Japan at an SKB plant, which has made many fine firearms as well as the well known ball bearings that epitomize that brand name.

The SKB guns all have triggers that are inertia reset - so they CAN need close to clay target loads recoil from the shells.  Triggers can be reworked to be mechanical reset (automatic as soon as first trigger is pulled), but sometimes that is expensive work and sometimes it won't hold up in use.

The Browning BSS is a mechanical trigger double barrel gun, so it has become a favorite of black powder shooters where recoil is lighter.  The BSS is a fine gun too, but heavier built.  Sometimes that is a good thing.

Good luck, GJ 

4 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

An even more complete list of the Ithaca SKB models which were made in the '50s and '60s -

From ShootingSportsman.com forum.

Ithaca is in the name, because the design was by Ithaca.  Production was in Japan at an SKB plant, which has made many fine firearms as well as the well known ball bearings that epitomize that brand name.

The SKB guns all have triggers that are inertia reset - so they CAN need close to clay target loads recoil from the shells.  Triggers can be reworked to be mechanical reset (automatic as soon as first trigger is pulled), but sometimes that is expensive work and sometimes it won't hold up in use.

The Browning BSS is a mechanical trigger double barrel gun, so it has become a favorite of black powder shooters where recoil is lighter.  The BSS is a fine gun too, but heavier built.  Sometimes that is a good thing.

Good luck, GJ 

A Ruger Vaquero trigger spring and yer good to go on the converting to mechanical reset.

49 minutes ago, Kid Cali said:

Another option I would have never known about...thanks. I'm assuming better to go with the 20" barrel coach version and not the 28" barrel?

I would say yes.

Probably all that's available now anyway.  But if all you can find is a 28"er, you could cut it down.

I just bought a Charles Daly from Lassiter. He has several in stock, all worked over and ready to go. Mine is spectacular, smooth as silk. Google "Tom's Single Action Shop" in New Lebanon OH. You will have to call him, he doesn't like email. I won't quote a price, but it's in your lower range.

9 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

......The "Best" hammer double is currently unobtainable as New.  Don't actually know if we will ever see the TNN/Cimarron '78 again........

They are expecting a small shipment by August.

I just picked up a CZ Sharptail from Longhunter. It is new production, single trigger. He does an action job and delivers quickly. It is a fine gun ,made slicker and far better than I am. Plus it is at the top end of your price range.

Oh, yeah welcome to the game and go get yourself a good hat(not required in the rules, but style points count)

Imis

Fast Eddie is great but heard that his wait time right now is quite awhile. Have an Skb 200e for sale now in the classifieds. These are very hard to find. Will make you a great deal. Pm me if interested.

Archived