SASS Wire Forum

Starter Shotgun?

Kid Cali

Hi All - I'm just starting to build out my rig and the next purchase (after getting my hands soon on a pair of nickel Uberti short stroke SASS Pros) will probably be a shotgun. I have heard both Stoeger and CZ as good coach guns to begin with. I don't think I will go the pump shotgun route, at least at this point. Any other options I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Kid Cali

Charles Daly 512.

I've heard that Boomstick Jay/Boomstick Arms has them in stock, tuned and ready to rock.

New Stoegers are very hit or miss with quality. 

Welcome!

Ima Cowboy.  Cowboy shotguns have HAMMERS.  And TWO barrels.  The "Best" hammer double is currently unobtainable as New.  Don't actually know if we will ever see the TNN/Cimarron '78 again.  My suggestions would be a good quality Hammer Double.  There are a couple from Turkey and Pakistan or the Very Best are the Pietta Hammer double and the Pedersoli double.  Neither are cheap.

PS:  This should read "The "Best Starter" hammer double.

54 minutes ago, Kid Cali said:

Hi All - I'm just starting to build out my rig and the next purchase (after getting my hands soon on a pair of nickel Uberti short stroke SASS Pros) will probably be a shotgun. I have heard both Stoeger and CZ as good coach guns to begin with. I don't think I will go the pump shotgun route, at least at this point. Any other options I should be looking at?

-Kid Cali

Are you looking to be competitive or just have fun?  And what category do you plan on shooting in?  That will definitely determine the direction you should go in and narrow down your choices for you.

Unless you are experienced in working on guns or have a lot of money, avoid many of the older guns, spare parts are scarce and when not available, it's very expensive to make new parts.

And I'll second the CZ recommendation, the Bobwhite G2 is very good gun for the money, but a bit light for shooting a lot of the inexpensive factory ammo in one day

14 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Do you want new or used?

If you have no objection to used, and if you are willing search for a while to find one that's not too expensive, or, if you are willing to spend a lot of money, then I have one word for you.

Parker.

Uh, you can get some Parkers pretty cheap...and I would hardly suggest getting one for SASS/CAS.

1 hour ago, Kid Cali said:

-Kid Cali

Have you attended a shoot and done a 'hands on' live fire?

OLG 

6 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Have you attended a shoot and done a 'hands on' live fire?

OLG 

I have actually attended a shoot and done a live fire. 

Locally two race ready Stoegers are for sale from a departed cowboy’s estate for $400 each.  PM me with your e-mail if interested. I will forward the information.

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Did you find a liking to any particular model?

Phantom

I actually don't even remember which make/model I shot with. It seems to me though that it would be much better to get something with a single trigger instead of double trigger.

SKB is probably the most popular double ‘race’ gun followed by BSS.

If I were buying a double it would be an SKB by Fast Eddie.

Mid level guns would be Stoeger, Baikal and CZ.

PS, more cowboys shoot hammerless doubles than shoot hammered doubles regardless of what CC thinks.

3 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What shotguns did you fire?

OLG 

I don't remember the make/model as it was some time ago but i know i was shooting the classic coach gun - side-by-side 12 gauge with hammers and double trigger. 

1 hour ago, Bart Slade said:

I have a CZ, really like it.   But brand new it's TIGHT.  Takes a lot of breaking in.

I'm hearing a lot of people mention the CZ. Sounds like a good way to go and a step up in quality compared to the Stoeger.

49 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Are you looking to be competitive or just have fun?  And what category do you plan on shooting in?  That will definitely determine the direction you should go in and narrow down your choices for you.

Unless you are experienced in working on guns or have a lot of money, avoid many of the older guns, spare parts are scarce and when not available, it's very expensive to make new parts.

And I'll second the CZ recommendation, the Bobwhite G2 is very good gun for the money, but a bit light for shooting a lot of the inexpensive factory ammo in one day

I would be shooting cowboy/duelist, and ultimately i would like to shoot competitively. As I mentioned in another reply, it seems like a lot of people recommend the CZ.

7 minutes ago, Kid Cali said:

I don't remember the make/model as it was some time ago but i know i was shooting the classic coach gun - side-by-side 12 gauge with hammers and double trigger. 

What's your budget?

2 minutes ago, Kid Cali said:

I'm hearing a lot of people mention the CZ. Sounds like a good way to go and a step up in quality compared to the Stoeger.

I have the CZ Hammered Coach.   I'm not sure it's perfect for CAS out-of-the-box;  the hammers are just far enough a part (and the springs are heavy enough) that cocking them both at once with one thumb is challenging.   It handles my BP loads fine though (as I'd assume all SxS shotguns should).   Comfortable to shoot.

Then stop looking and get an SKB.

Phantom

I'll take a look. Never even heard of SKB but then again that's why I'm asking people for recommendations. Is there a specific model you can point me to?

Just now, Kid Cali said:

I'll take a look. Never even heard of SKB but then again that's why I'm asking people for recommendations. Is there a specific model you can point me to?

Look at the models 100, 150 or 200.

They are no longer made so you'll be looking in the used market. Some Cowboy Smiths have them ready to go.

Phantom

Most often SKB models used are the Ithaca SKB 100  (usually with a splinter forearm) and 200 (with a fatter beavertail forearm).    These have been out of production for the last 30 years, so a good used one that has been a safe queen (little used) is the gem to look for.    Look here on our classifieds, contact several of the gunsmiths who work on double barrel shotguns, and even watch the auction sites for firearms.   Also ask around at local clubs - that is often the place they will turn up.

Good luck, GJ

1 minute ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Most often SKB models used are the Ithaca SKB 100  (usually with a splinter forearm) and 200 (with a fatter beavertail forearm).    These have been out of production for the last 30 years, so a good used one that has been a safe queen (little used) is the gem to look for.    Look here on our classifieds, contact several of the gunsmiths who work on double barrel shotguns, and even watch the auction sites for firearms.   Also ask around at local clubs - that is often the place they will turn up.

Good luck, GJ

Don't forget the Model 150...

7 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Good luck, GJ

Thanks...good advice!

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Charles Daly 512.

I've heard that Boomstick Jay/Boomstick Arms has them in stock, tuned and ready to rock.

Wisdom right here.

Love my Charles Daly 512.  

Just now, Kid Cali said:

Thanks...good advice!

Be careful to avoid a single lug model. Think they were the older ones. 

I'm sure you'll get someone that's more knowledgeable then I to chime in.

Phantom

Just now, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So you think the CD512 is better? Or are you referring to the Stoeger comment?

Phantom

Charles Daly.

I'll remove the Stoeger comment for clarity.

Well please tell us why you think this.

Personal experience.  Got it via Deuce Stevens with Doc Noper action work.

Backstory is after 13 years of using a Norinco '87, it started acting up, and with talking with some 87 people, sounded like it's worn out.  So I started looking into hammerless SxS's.  But wasn't too keen on a Stoeger due to numerous complaints from a few people who I've shot with for years (chambers not firing, or action opening up after the first shot), and they typically moved up to other SxS's, but my wallet wasn't willing to give it up for prices over $1k.  Got it winter of '19, and used it 98% of the time last year, and love it.  Shucks out my factory Winchester AA, and Remington STS and Nitro hulls no problem.  Also shucks my black powder reloads no problem as well.  Shotgun is nice and light.  Safety remains intact. Also has a switch so you can control with chamber fires first.  With it, I am no longer fighting my equipment, as I did with my 87 the last few seasons, and my enjoyment of the game has increased.  And to circle back to not fighting my equipment, I have dropped time off my stages.

So when looking for a hammerless SxS that's under the $1k mark, I strongly suggest looking into the Charles Daly 512.

56 minutes ago, Kid Cali said:

You REALLY need to attend several shoots and take notes.

OLG 

8 minutes ago, Cemetery said:

Personal experience.  Got it via Deuce Stevens with Doc Noper action work.

Backstory is after 13 years of using a Norinco '87, it started acting up, and with talking with some 87 people, sounded like it's worn out.  So I started looking into hammerless SxS's.  But wasn't too keen on a Stoeger due to numerous complaints from a few people who I've shot with for years (chambers not firing, or action opening up after the first shot), and they typically moved up to other SxS's, but my wallet wasn't willing to give it up for prices over $1k.  Got it winter of '19, and used it 98% of the time last year, and love it.  Shucks out my factory Winchester AA, and Remington STS and Nitro hulls no problem.  Also shucks my black powder reloads no problem as well.  Shotgun is nice and light.  Safety remains intact. Also has a switch so you can control with chamber fires first.  With it, I am no longer fighting my equipment, as I did with my 87 the last few seasons, and my enjoyment of the game has increased.  And to circle back to not fighting my equipment, I have dropped time off my stages.

So when looking for a hammerless SxS that's under the $1k mark, I strongly suggest looking into the Charles Daly 512.

Another option I would have never known about...thanks. I'm assuming better to go with the 20" barrel coach version and not the 28" barrel?

Archived