SASS Wire Forum

Ruger grip frames and grips

need a bit of help on understanding this subject 

I am trying to under stand the mess created by Ruger . I got what I think is a 1973 , old mod 3 screw single six , 22wrm 

it has a long story attached to it , short version , it was stolen and spent 14+ years in a lake 

it appears that Ruger has used somewhere about 14 diff , frames on the single actions , marked XR3 , 

this is as bad a Glock using generations , instead of changing a Mod # , 

Thanks in advance for any info 

CB 

More than you probably wanted to know:

https://gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

edit: I just checked and the grips on my Old Armies, Old Model Vaqueros, single-sixes, and a New Model Blackhawk are all the same size and interchangeable.  Guess I got lucky.

Thanks J Bar 

I read that and was more confused than before :unsure:

the grips on the new Vaq , and the new mod black hawks are diff , on mine , got 3 sets of each , NO joy on this little critter 

reckon , it be time to order a set of grips and hope they fit 

CB 

If you have a 1973 vintage Ruger single six, it uses an XR 3 - RED.

If you are attempting to put XR3 grips on it, that's why they don't fit. Give some XR3-REDs.

I feel for you. Back somewhere around 1980 I found a pair of brand new, perfect REAL ivory grips for a Blackhawk. I had a Liberty NM and think I had at least one 3 screw. $35. With visions of The Duke in my head I jumped on 'em like a duck on a june bug. To my horror, they fit nothing I had. The guy at the gun store said they were probably for the old Flat Top Blackhawks. They were nice enough to give me my money back. Sounds silly now, but back then $35 would buy lots of gasoline, hamburgers, loading components, etc.

JHC

I am pretty sure it's okay to drink while working at some gun manufacturer's facilities. Some of the things they do and then we have to figure it out amongst ourselves...:angry:

XR3 vs XR3 Red. Gimme a break.

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am pretty sure it's okay to drink while working at some gun manufacturer's facilities. Some of the things they do and then we have to figure it out amongst ourselves...:angry:

XR3 vs XR3 Red. Gimme a break.

The way of the world amigo. I think they mostly change crap all the time so you have to buy more crap. Just my theory FWIW.

JHC

The Red in XR3-Red stands for "Redesign" Ruger changed the design of the grip frames because customers were complaining about their knuckles getting hit in heavy recoiling pistols with the XR3 grip frames. The biggest problem is when they went "Back" to the XR3 style they're just different enough(Thinner frame, shorter screw, different locating pin location,no bevel at the top) that they might not fit on the original XR3 frames

Archived