SASS Wire Forum

Learning New Things

Whiskey Hicks

So I got myself a nice new wild rag.  I'm trying to do a buckaroo knot from YouTube videos and realizing a few things: 1) It's a shorter size than what they're using because i don't have enough material to wrap it around my neck once before tying and 2) I'm not very spatially aware (have to do things a million times and pick up the muscle memory) and don't learn well from videos.

Anyone ever struggle trying to learn the four-square buckaroo knot?  Please tell me I'm not the only one that's ever felt a lack of confidence trying to learn something from a video and have to rewind, pause, play, rewind, pause and play countless times!

Update:  I accomplished the knot, but I couldn't do it with a full wrap around first.  It just seems like 36'' by 36'' is too small for a wrap around followed by the knot.  Is that anyone else's experience?

Yours doesn't look bad in the second pic, but the pattern makes it challenging to tell. I'm sure it is better than I could do without significant effort. It makes for an interesting looking knot, alright, but it looks bulky to me for my personal preferences. I think I'll stick with a basic four-in-hand tie knot. Speaking of tie knots, even though 36" seems big, it would yield a diagonal of about 51". By comparison, the average necktie is closer to 60" and is intended to fit much closer to the neck, with one end long and one short, and without the extra bulk. Just a thought. 

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I prefer a slide for my wold rags.

I do as well. Never have to worry about being hung.

Learned a lot from an old crusty Bosun's mate when I first joined the Navy. Showed me how fix a neckerchief and a tie so they couldn't be used as a handle during a bar fight.

16 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I prefer a slide for my wold rags.

I should have said, "If I wore them," since I don't currently. If I did, I would likely find a slide I like, or utilize a four-in-hand, so it could be slipped loose.

I agree. A dozen thumbs up! ;)

5 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Learned a lot from an old crusty Bosun's mate when I first joined the Navy. Showed me how fix a neckerchief and a tie so they couldn't be used as a handle during a bar fight.

I still have my modified neckerchief sewn together in the back  for  just that reason...and yes, I had to resew it a couple of times after dealing with drunk shipmate buttheads on liberty when I was on Shore Patrol duty. I also carried my nightstick so  I didn't  have to struggle to get it out of that sheath that was too tight. I had a few notches carved into that thing as well.

Not political, but I object to the terms "wild rag" and "stampede strings".

Wild rags doesn't say ANYTHING.  We wore them when I was a kid and we had a lot of honest t God cowboys.  Local guys called them bandana and some of northern guys who would move to warmer climes (Utah was a "warmer clime?"  Huh!)  called theirs scarves, others said they were neckerchiefs.

As for "stampede strings" I doubt that there are a half a percent of the people  who call them that have  ever even seem a real stampede., or knows anyone who has.  I was in a real doozy when I was about sixteen.  A semi driver thought it would be funny to get our cows running and blew his horn.  Off they went and four of us were caught right in the middle of it.  We finally got them calmed down in a block or so and had all thirteen of them totally under control and back on course inside of ten minutes.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I still have my modified neckerchief sewn together in the back  for  just that reason...and yes, I had to resew it a couple of times after dealing with drunk shipmate buttheads on liberty when I was on Shore Patrol duty. I also carried my nightstick so  I didn't  have to struggle to get it out of that sheath that was too tight. I had a few notches carved into that thing as well.

We were not allowed to wear neckerchiefs when on shore patrol.

I've got a couple of pictures from the early 90's.

In some ports we weren't even allowed to wear uniforms.  Carried the SP brassard in our pockets and showed them at the doors to establishments to get in and to sailors "when needed".

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Now I've got to go dig around and see if I can find a picture of me with liberty cuffs.

BM1 Noonan had his neckerchief neatly cut and tied in the back under the jumper flap. wish i could remember how the ends were held together but I can't. The square knot in the front was impeccable. What couldn't be seen is that it was held perfectly in shape by silk thread. I believe he bought it in the PI. I tried several times to replicate it but could never get it to look right.

His necktie was held together at the back of his neck by two small pieces of velcro. I did mine the same way. Easier to put on than the clip ons that the exchange sold and it looked 1000% better during uniform inspections.

An old timer showed me how he tied his.
One side was the standing side. He kept it straight, it did not become part of the knot.
The running side was taken around the standing side, then tied in an overhand.
This meant if you caught it on a branch while riding, the standing end would pull out of the simple overhand, the branch would keep the bandanna and you'd keep your throat intact.
Had a necktie for class A uniform wear with the Marshal's office, it was the only time we wore a tie in uniform, but we all got ours tied just right, then cut at the back of the neck and sewed on Velcro for reasons others have already explained.
Don't recall as it ever came in handy but it was comforting to know I was not wearing a handle.

7 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Not political, but I object to the terms "wild rag" and "stampede strings".

Wild rags doesn't say ANYTHING.  We wore them when I was a kid and we had a lot of honest t God cowboys.  Local guys called them bandana and some of northern guys who would move to warmer climes (Utah was a "warmer clime?"  Huh!)  called theirs scarves, others said they were neckerchiefs.

As for "stampede strings" I doubt that there are a half a percent of the people  who call them that have  ever even seem a real stampede., or knows anyone who has.  I was in a real doozy when I was about sixteen.  A semi driver thought it would be funny to get our cows running and blew his horn.  Off they went and four of us were caught right in the middle of it.  We finally got them calmed down in a block or so and had all thirteen of them totally under control and back on course inside of ten minutes.

It was always handkerchief and bandanna here. I just thought I’d get ribbed as a young’in for not knowing the ‘proper’ terminology.

I just wanna emulate you cool kids.

I learned to tie it on YouTube. There’s a guy on there that has a great video showing how it’s done. Once you learn it and tie it and practice it a few hundred times you don’t forget how to tie it. I’d sit around in the evening watching TV and tying the knot.

Archived