SASS Wire Forum

"Leadfoot" Artie Fly's APP hangfire

Abilene, SASS # 27489

On 6/26/2020 at 8:16 AM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Cap and ball shooter here. Failure to to fire. YOU can re-cap on the line to avoid the miss. Or go to the ULT, clear all guns and remove, re-cap and then ask the TO to come to the line to fire the unfired chamber. Failure to fire is then up to the shooter on how and when to clear the gun. He can leave it a the ULT,  get a nipple wrench and pull the nipple, at the ULT or take the gun somewhere else. Best at the ULT. Then with something that will fit down the hole drive the ball and powder out. The issue being like any hang fire, if and when will the round potentially go off? After multiple attempts to fire the chamber he decided to holster the gun and take it somewhere else to clear it or try and shoot it at the next stage.

ULT's have little or no knowledge of C&B guns. They can watch for muzzle control and if the caps are all off indicating the gun "shouldn't? fire or is clear. Thats about it.

Ike,

I have a nipple wrench that I can use to clear the cylinder. The handle is the right size it slides to one end of the wrench and works well.

Jasper

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/28/2020 at 3:02 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

The Shooter's Handbook has a list of Match Disqualification Penalties on page 22, which includes

• -  Any discharge at the loading or unloading areas.

It doesn't say "accidental" discharge, it says any discharge.  I checked this with PWB a few years ago, and he told me that if I had completed a stage and taken my guns to the unloading table with one of my percussion revolver chambers still charged, I could leave it charged and try to shoot it out during the course of fire on the next stage.  But if I wanted to recap that troublesome chamber that did not fire before the next stage, I would get an MDQ if I shot it out at the unloading table, in accordance with the above rule.  He also told me that the Timer Operator did not have the authority to waive the rule and allow me to shoot the chamber clear from the unloading table.  To shoot out the chamber, I would have to get the TO's permission to return to the stage, cap it under the TO's supervision, and shoot it there.

So maybe it's time for an update from PWB.  Has this changed?  If not, we should not be encouraging shooting out a troublesome chamber at the unloading table.  The shooter will earn a Match Disqualification under the present rules.

I don’t often shoot C&B guns. Just at Plainsman side matches a couple of times a year. So have been reading this with interest, plus, I was there, but on a different posse so not a witness 

I have seen, and have done, exactly what you say we ought not do, re-cap and fire at ULT, but always with TO permission. Typically between shooters. I suppose could come back to stage to do it, but I see no great harm in asking permission, TO acknowledging and watching while I did it. Did exactly the same thing with a cartridge that got jacked out. Upon examination it had a lite primer strike. I asked TO permission to attempt to fire it, he agreed. Loaded and done in 10 seconds. 

12 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I don’t often shoot C&B guns. Just at Plainsman side matches a couple of times a year. So have been reading this with interest, plus, I was there, but on a different posse so not a witness 

I have seen, and have done, exactly what you say we ought not do, re-cap and fire at ULT, but always with TO permission. Typically between shooters. I suppose could come back to stage to do it, but I see no great harm in asking permission, TO acknowledging and watching while I did it. Did exactly the same thing with a cartridge that got jacked out. Upon examination it had a lite primer strike. I asked TO permission to attempt to fire it, he agreed. Loaded and done in 10 seconds. 

Yeah, I agree.  I never said I like the rule, just that it exists.

• 2 weeks later...

I was the TO on the stage when Artie was shooting.  He tried to keep his clean match going (he recapped it on the clock once or twice and it didn't go off).  When he finished shooting, he was cleared at the unloading table.  We went to the next stage and asked me if he could cap and try to re-fire, which I replied YES.  He went to the unloading table, capped it, fired it, and it did NOT go off.  I saw him set the gun down (facing down range).  I turned away to begin reading the next scenario, when several members said that Artie went to holster his gun when it went off.  The gun had been sitting at least 30-60 seconds on the table as that I had time to walk to the next table for the next stage to begin reading.  Artie handled everything properly and safely.  Artie is one of the hardest working members of a posse and I've seen a few posses.  I think his new name should be "Cool-Hand Lead Foot". ..I mean anyone who can have a heart rate of 78 beats per minute after being shot - WOW!!  Doc did a find job of handling the situation at hand.  A special thanks to Coyote Chaser for getting Artie's belongings put away.  Hats of to THSS for the way the handled the situation at hand.

Archived