SASS Wire Forum

Model 1897 - should I be using grease?

Marshal Jennison

Most oils won't stay put well enough, IMHO.  I use Mobil 1 grease on the carrier positioning channel (the slot with three directions of travel), underside of bolt where hammer rubs, rails of bolt.  Oil the shell stops and action lock parts - I use Rem Oil.  And for mag tube, clean it every six months with my moderate use and lube with Boeshield spray lube (dries very quickly and won't attract dust).  Eezox is reported to work well for the mag tube, too.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks!  I’ll grease as GJ instructs as that make sense.  I have Eezox and I’ll need to use it more than I do.  The problem I have with Eezox is defined by the old adage “seeing is believing..”.  I can’t be sure I’ve applied it uniformly or in all areas that need it; there’s no glistening or other normal signs of lube application.   Any tips with that too, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, Jennison

On 6/26/2020 at 8:15 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Apply Eezox with a Q-tip ;)

I don't use grease on any of my cowboy guns. 

OLG 

Same with me, Lumpy.

I like and use Eezox also, but not as often as I use Strikehold.

There are many really good lubes on the market.

Basically, I just spray Strikeforce in my action and blow the excess out with compressed air.

I've experienced no amount of excessive wear on my 97's in over 10 years and they keep functioning perfect

year in/year out.  

If you follow GJ advice, you'll be doing it right and more thorough.  

Good luck.  

..........Widder

None of my guns have sealed bearings... None of my guns use grease.

Grease = crud collector.

... And is an old and out dated form of lubricant for what we do... oh, and this is an opinion so don't get all butt hurt if your opinion is different.

Phantom

I use Lucas engine assembly lube after a thorough hosing with Rem oil. It is thick but fluid so it gets where it needs to be, and other places:D.  I apply then cycle then wipe excess off. Some might say I over lube but as a retired journeyman machine repairman I believe a little extra is better than too little. This also allows me to dry fire without concern about wear. I clean my firearms frequently and thoroughly to degunk.

9 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Just a point - "sealed bearings" never get any more grease than what was sealed in them.  :lol:

Oh, good retort...hahaha...<_<

Sorry you didn't get the point of my comment... Please, continue treating your gun like you do your car's differential.

Here's kind of a synopsis:

For intense friction and high-speed applications, an oil is typically the best choice. But other components that endure heavy loads or move vertically typically require a grease. Grease is engineered to stay in place and provide a longer lasting barrier between metal components, such as wheel-bearings.

Now incorporate this into our typical SASS/CAS environment (ie: dust, dirt and for most of us, regular cleaning), and you'll see even more reasons to avoid grease...or...you can just do whatcha wanna do ;)

Phatom

Here's an n for Phantom.

I know he'll be looking for it later.

Compared to an automotive engine, or most any other mechanical machinery, our guns have no high-speed parts nor any moving parts that endure a heavy load. Even the fastest shooter probably only gets the cylinder to move at 100 RPM, and only for a very short time. Most of the high pressure is endure by the cylinder and barrel, which at the time are not moving at all. The cylinder ratchet might endure a bit of pressure, but it is spread over a relatively large, flat surface. In reality, we could probably lube our guns with Crisco and they would work OK, messiness aside.  Just make sure you lube it with something, and clean it after use, and you should be fine. IMHO

On 6/26/2020 at 7:27 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Same with me, Lumpy.

I like and use Eezox also, but not as often as I use Strikeforce.

There are many really good lubes on the market.

Basically, I just spray Strikeforce in my action and blow the excess out with compressed air.

I've experienced no amount of excessive wear on my 97's in over 10 years and they keep functioning perfect

year in/year out.  

If you follow GJ advice, you'll be doing it right and more thorough.  

Good luck.  

..........Widder

Do you mean Strikehold?

OLG 

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Do you mean Strikehold?

OLG 

Thanks Lumpy.....YES, Strikehold is correct.

I'll go back and correct my post..... ;)

..........Widder

On 6/26/2020 at 6:35 AM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

None of my guns have sealed bearings... None of my guns use grease.

Grease = crud collector.

... And is an old and out dated form of lubricant for what we do... oh, and this is an opinion so don't get all butt hurt if your opinion is different.

Phantom

Same with me. none of my guns use grease.

I use Mobile one oil instead.

J.M.

15 hours ago, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

Same with me. none of my guns use grease.

I use Mobile one oil instead.

J.M.

Howdy, Johnny,

You reputation precedes you, so I'm interested in your opinion.

I'm fixing to clean my guns this summer, and the talk about grease vs oil is interesting.

Compared to high-dollar Rem Oil, do you think Mobil 1 is a better oil? Why do you like it better?

Or is it as simple as, by volume, M1 is more economical?

And any one else that wants to weigh in, let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Brazos

On 6/26/2020 at 9:35 AM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

... And is an old and out dated form of lubricant for..."

...for our "old and outdated" guns? B)

Grease is for high speed...

I've seen you guys shoot, as slow as I am in comparison, I should just use sand to lube my guns...

In all seriousness, I use burned trailboss residue to lube my guns along with mud (from when I throw them on the ground during a stage), dust, leaves, cat fur and every September during the WV state shoot, I use the rain to clean them off for next year...

Archived