SASS Wire Forum

Trouble with Vaqueros

Lee Hulsey

I have shot with six Vaqueros. I currently use two OMs in .45 Colt throuh which I have fired thousands of rounds of warthog loads of Holy black with nary a problem. :D

SORRY, but I have no clue to your problem.  :(

Sounds like the issue is resolved, Yes? If so, this makes 2 kitchen table resolutions done from expert advice in one day that requires a drum roll

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

A drop of oil on the gate pivot point and where you see the gate spring can really help here.

OLG 

Yeah, it can reduce the number of cuss words when working on that spring significantly!

:rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Lee Hulsey said:

Anyone know about problems with Ruger Vaqueros and the loading gate binding? Just got 2 SASS Rugers and can’t get one to open at all.  

Lee - you able to sort it out?

17 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:   In addition to the oil suggestion, I removed the spring and lightly rounded and buffed the contact point.  Saves my wife's fingernails on hers.

Be careful not to remove too much material.  The spring tip contour angles are engineered/important, to avoid galling and adverse wear.  And If you shorten the spring spur too much, the loading gate will not be firmly held closed.  If it flops open far enough (+-3/8") it will prevent the gun from cocking. 

(voice of past experience-- it doesn't take very much spring tip removal to cause this problem) 

5 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Be nice to hear any response from the OP. :huh:

OLG 

He’s probably still cussing and trying to get that devilish spring back in place.

:ph34r:

I had this problem years ago with one of mine.  The cylinder pin would work loose by just a little bit, almost imperceptibly.  It wouldn't fall out; it would come forward just a tiny bit.  But the cylinder pin, when properly seated, pushes the transfer bar back far enough to clear the frame.  So whenever it worked loose, the transfer bar got hung up on the frame, which bound up the entire action.  I could neither cock the gun nor open the loading gate.

The next time you have this problem, try pushing the cylinder pin back in.  If you feel it "click" back into place and then the action starts working properly, that was your problem.  If that is, in fact, the problem, a stronger cylinder pin spring from Wolff solves the issue (the spring goes on the little button that you push to release the cylinder pin).  

Archived