SASS Wire Forum

Red Sash Historicity

Whiskey Hicks

So I've noticed in several movies and TV offerings the presence of red sash belts on certain historical figures and characters.  Bill Paxton as Sam Houston in Texas Rising has a red sash belt.  I also noticed the cowboys such as Johnny Ringo (Michael Biehn) in Tombstone has it.  Then there are the different images of Wild Bill Hickok wearing one under his gun belt.  

How common were silken sashes like that?  Is this just a Hollywood convention or possibly a real Southwest thing?

They do look dashing, don’t they?

When “The Coto Cowboys” became “The Cowboys” - Coto was the original CAS club started by The Wild Bunch - a bunch of us got together and wore red sashes to emulate the characters in the movie “Tombstone”. Especially those of us in Posse 7.

I will say that we all looked pretty cool wearing them. There may even be some photos floating around out there of us. 
I will also say that on a hot day sashes may look “cool” but I assure you they are not!

As for historical correctness? Yes, some wore sashes. I understand that some used sashes as a place to hold their guns instead of wearing a gun belt.  

Oh yeah, if you do go with a sash on a hot day, make sure it’s made with color fast dye...:blink:

In Houston's case in Texas Rising, wearing a sash was probably more about being an officer in the Army of Texas than anything else.  They didn't have a whole lot of uniforms, so designating who was an officer had to be done some way.

This picture is me doing an impression of my 5th-great grandfather, Lieutenant Joshua Danforth of the Continental Army.  I researched his uniform in depth.  The only assumption I made -- and it is not necessarily an accurate one -- is that he had all the uniform items and accoutrements the regulations required him to.  It is more likely that he was missing one or two items.  In any event, this is as he SHOULD have appeared from 1779-1784, mid-war until after the end of the war when he left the Army.  

The red sash indicated he was a commissioned officer, but not a general (generals had colored sashes that went across the chest).  Colonels and below all wore the red sash you see me wearing.  Rank was denoted by epaulets on the shoulder.  This was as of 1779.  Prior to that, there were different regulations and it was not standardized throughout the army.

You can't see my silver epaulet on the left shoulder because I added it the day after taking this photo.  But it's there now.  

Officers had the red sash for two reasons.  1-  Enlisted men could identify them from a distance.  2- It was made of silk, and when unfolded is much wider than what it appears to be when wrapped around my waist.  It could be used with two rifles to make a stretcher for the officer, should he be wounded.  Rank does have its privileges.  

IMG_2213.jpeg

Army Uniform regulations of 1861 specified red silk ashes for commissioned officers and Red worsted wool for 1st Sgts and some other enlisted ranks. 
When I was in the Army, in keeping with tradition, I used to wear a red silk cummerbund or vest with my dress blue uniform. It wasn’t authorized so I had to keep my blouse buttoned so nobody would see it. Basically, nobody but me and my close friends knew I had it on. 
“Why that’s pointless, Bob!”, you may say.
Maybe. ;)

http://howardlanham.tripod.com/unireg.htm

1504. For General Officers-buff, silk net, with silk bullion fringe ends; sash to go twice around the waist, and to tie behind the left hip, pendent part not to extend more than eighteen inches below the tie.

1505. For Officers of the Adjutant-General's, Inspector-General's, Quartermaster's and Subsistence Departments, Corps of Engineers, Topographical Engineers, Ordnance, Artillery, Infantry and the Judge Advocate of the Army- crimson silk net; for Officers of the Medical Department-medium or emerald green silk net, with silk bullion fringe ends; to go around the waist and tie as for General Officers.

1506. For all Sergeant Majors, Quartermaster Sergeants, Ordnance Sergeants, Hospital Stewards, First Sergeants, Principal or Chief Musicians and Chief Buglers-red worsted sash, with worsted bullion fringe ends; to go twice around the waist, and to tie hind the left hip, pendent part not to extend more than eighteen inches below the tie.

1507. The sash will be worn (over the coat) on all occasions of duty of every description, except stable and fatigue. 1508. The sash will be worn by "Officers of the Day" across the body, scarf fashion, from the right shoulder to the left side, instead of around the waist, tying behind the left hip as prescribed.

Wild Bill Hickok supposedly wore a sash with his .36 Navies tucked inside. I don’t know if it was red or not.

41 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

This picture is me doing an impression of my 5th-great grandfather, Lieutenant Joshua Danforth of the Continental Army.  I researched his uniform in depth.  The only assumption I made -- and it is not necessarily an accurate one -- is that he had all the uniform items and accoutrements the regulations required him to.  It is more likely that he was missing one or two items.  In any event, this is as he SHOULD have appeared from 1779-1784, mid-war until after the end of the war when he left the Army.  

The red sash indicated he was a commissioned officer, but not a general (generals had colored sashes that went across the chest).  Colonels and below all wore the red sash you see me wearing.  Rank was denoted by epaulets on the shoulder.  This was as of 1779.  Prior to that, there were different regulations and it was not standardized throughout the army.

You can't see my silver epaulet on the left shoulder because I added it the day after taking this photo.  But it's there now.  

Officers had the red sash for two reasons.  1-  Enlisted men could identify them from a distance.  2- It was made of silk, and when unfolded is much wider than what it appears to be when wrapped around my waist.  It could be used with two rifles to make a stretcher for the officer, should he be wounded.  Rank does have its privileges.  

IMG_2213.jpeg

Are you a SAR?  If not, you should be in the Colour Guard.  I’m in the Colour Guard, but attempt to create a Militiaman as my 5x great-grandfather was.

FEA2E676-D173-424C-9191-28401849D896.jpeg

3 minutes ago, South-Eye Ned said:

Are you a SAR?  If not, you should be in the Colour Guard.  I’m in the Colour Guard, but attempt to create a Militiaman as my 5x great-grandfather was.

FEA2E676-D173-424C-9191-28401849D896.jpeg

8CB304A7-D1B9-4AAA-AB80-A70F001EDE0B.png

Not only am I a member of SAR, I'm on the color guard and I'm the committee chair (chapter level) for BSA!

By the way, I recognize the "wedgewood blue" waistcoat from Towndsends.  :)  I have the same one.  In addition to my Continental uniform, I have a civilian costume and use that same waistcoat.

Excellent!

3 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Thought the sash was to hold your pants up....

Texas Lizard

Gallouses is what holds yer britches up. :lol:

Archived