SASS Wire Forum

CORVID-19 death - Arrow Rock, Missouri

Warden Callaway

Sawmill Mary and I went on a drive about today. 

Our first stop was at Boone's Lick that's a bit north and west of Boonville, Missouri. There is not much to see at the historic site.  The significance to the location is that it established the Booneslick Trail that ran from St Charles to the site of where the sons of Daniel Boone made salt on an industry scale. Near there is Franklan, Missouri where the start of the first trade journey Santa Fe  - establishing the Santa Fe Trail.  The Booneslick Trail became the first link to the Santa Fe Trail and later the Oregon Trail, when traveling from the Ohio valley area overland to the west. The Boooneslick Trail is approximately replaced by I70 now. 

We then visited Arrow Rock south of the Missouri River.  It's a tiny little old town only some 8 small blocks long and 3 blocks wide. It was an important town on the frontier just filled with history.  The revival of the old town was the tourist trade.  The old down town - mostly one block - is filled with shops.  Also a fine restaurant and a live theatre that seats 400.  Each month the town put on an art and craft fair.  The town would swell with thousands of people.  Lots of vendors,  musicians,  reenactments,  craft demonstrations, on and on.  The theater put on plays twice a day. 

Not this year.  Five women make up the Frends of Arrow Rock committee.   They decided to cancel the activities until August. Now they have decided to cancel all activities for the rest of the year.  There was one shop open today.  We talked to the lady working there. She said that business is dead.  The town is slumping back into obscurity. 

I sure hope that isn't trend for these small places.

Essentially, two years off.

I hope they don't lose interest.

Howdy,

I bet there are going to be a lot of folks traveling after being semi confined this year.

Im told some workers get more from unemployment than regular pay.

Of course funds are getting drained and unemployment might get shut off.

States cant print money. 

Also jobs have benefits, what benefits come with unemployment????

Best

CR

Use to go up there at times. Always drove gravel back roads to get there. Went to the Lyceum Theater a few times and was surprised on the 1st class shows they had. Really sad to hear this and hope they will be able to come back next year.

43 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Im told some workers get more from unemployment than regular pay.

One of the things the lady in the store told was that people getting unemployment benefits are getting an additional $600 a week from COVID-19 benefits. 

22 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

One of the things the lady in the store told was that people getting unemployment benefits are getting an additional $600 a week from COVID-19 benefits. 

Which will run out pretty soon as I understand it.

Archived