SASS Wire Forum

25-20

Butch McGie, SASS#71758

Yes. But be prepared to have some misses called that may have been hits. Those little bullets don't make much of a ding and don't shake heavy targets much. Coupled with the fact they are traveling pretty fast and reach the target at the same time you hear the crack of the shot. Those damn ear counters will get you everytime.

Before my 25.20 gave up the ghost, I loaded up my rounds with APP 3F, not too much smoke, but hit the target good and made 'em move.

I have used the .25-20 off and on from around 1996 or 97 when I started shooting it.  Only rifle I had for a time.  It was better than a .22 for tree rats and rabbits.  Works great on coyotes in Indiana.  Never had a miss called in a SASS shot that was not a true miss on my part.  Would like pistols in the round but extraction is a problem why Colt never chambered a production pistol in it.  It works as good as the .32 H&R in SASS but not used as much as brass is hard to find.  It can be harder to set your dies up to reload, once set on my Dillon 550 I can do 200-300 in an hour.  It is a great step-up rifle for kids from the .22 and easier to find than a .32 H&R lever gun, ammo and brass is harder to find.  My grandson loves it even though he has his pick of rifles, .22-.375 mag.

Looks like Grafs has some Winchester brand.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/19578

When I decided to set up for my first match I looked for my brass.  All I found was some 30 odd mix of old brass.  I knew I had 100 newer brass loaded somewhere but I couldn't find it.  I ended up buying another couple 100.  Then I found my old stash. So I'm good on brass.

1 hour ago, Adolph Vancinghand, SASS #28923 said:

I've never run the .25-20 as a CAS cartridge, but it's a sentimental favorite for me for coyotes, turkeys and just plain plinking!

0C8lGlll.jpg

"Ad"

That there is some mighty fine wood!

Thanks for the news Warden & Chantry! Glad to see it coming back! I never resorted to necking down 32-20 as Uriah mentioned, but here’s some more info on that if anyone is interested (with another link to even more):

We have a nice old Winchester M-1892 in .25WCF. 

I have used in in SASS matches only twice.

The hits and misses are harder to see.

It's kind of like the Buckaroos shooting .22 LR's, but the brass is MORE EXPENSIVE.  :o

My .25-20 is a single shot my brothers had made for me, on a donor H&R hammerless 12 gauge.
Buffalo arms has resized .32-20 brass.  It's a tad short, but it works.

hyphen2.JPG

Archived