SASS Wire Forum

Commercial flying question

Alpo

I understand that the TSA will not allow you to take a butane lighter aboard a commercial aircraft.

How about a Zippo or other naptha-fueled lighter?

You are also allowed, I understand, two "small" boxes of wooden matches. These would be, I presume, what in my youth we referred to as "penny matches", since the small fragile wooden box containing 34 matches sold for one cent.

What about gopher matches? Is there any limit on them?

18 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Smoking is not allowed on commercial flights. 

So, NO, you can't have those items on board.

OLG 

I quit smoking 30 years or so ago. I still carry a lighter.

I'm surprised that you did not know that there are more uses for fire than to ignite tobacco.

20 minutes ago, Abilene Red said:

That is an interesting site. It says that I cannot bring BANG SNAPS, in either carry-on or checked baggage.

It doesn't say what a bang snap is, but it says I cannot have it on the airplane.

It appears that you can have a butane lighter in your carry-on, but not in your checked baggage, unless it is in an "approved container" (whatever the heck that might be). It also seems that you can have a working Zippo in your carry-on, but if it's in checked baggage it has to be dry.

I also finally found matches. You can have one book of safety matches in your carry-on. That sounds like gopher matches to me - a "book", as opposed to a "box". But no matches in your checked luggage. No strike anywhere matches period.

We called em Cracker Balls.

The Fourth of July always brings unfortunate stories of injuries from fireworks. The FDA is no stranger to this world. In the 1960s, FDA conducted over 100 seizure actions nationwide of small sphere-shaped fireworks that exploded when compressed or thrown against a hard surface. Functionally, they were not unlike what was hurled by Fred Astaire in his 4th of July dance routine in the 1942 classic movie “Holiday Inn.” Unfortunately, however, these explosives, known by brand names such as Cracker Balls, Ball Type Caps, and Single Shot Round Cap Balls, also looked like candy or cereal. The result, not surprisingly, was that at least 20 children who tried to eat them were injured, suffering burns, loosened teeth, and lacerated gums, tongues, and cheeks. And, according to one press account, a 4-year-old New York boy died after chewing one of these fireworks that contained arsenic.

From 1965 to 1966, the FDA seized over $100,000 worth of these products from Atlanta to Seward, Alaska, under the authority of the Federal Hazardous Substances Labeling Act of 1960. But seizing explosives comes with unique challenges. In Mississippi, no nearby commercial storage facility could be found that would accept the quarter-ton of fireworks seized there; in the end only a local dynamite company would accommodate them. In St. Joseph, Missouri, as 400,000 of the balls were being pushed into a ditch to destroy them, the fireworks exploded, shattering nearby windows and throwing the operator from his bulldozer. 

Some retailers offered to relabel the balls fireworks, but the FDA denied this under the view that no labeling could prevent injury from these dangerous objects. Nevertheless, these fireworks remained on the market. FDA was challenged in court and the courts decided that appropriate labeling would be sufficient to warn users of their hazards. And indeed, further reports from FDA of injuries associated with Cracker Balls and similar products cannot be found. Oversight of such products was transferred to the Consumer Product Safety Commission in 1973.

6 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Unfortunately, however, these explosives, known by brand names such as Cracker Balls, Ball Type Caps, and Single Shot Round Cap Balls, also looked like candy or cereal. The result, not surprisingly, was that at least 20 children who tried to eat them were injured, suffering burns, loosened teeth, and lacerated gums, tongues, and cheeks. And, according to one press account, a 4-year-old New York boy died after chewing one of these fireworks that contained arsenic.

Every one I have ever seen was wrapped in white tissue paper. It did not look like cereal. I suppose it could be mistaken for candy, but everyone I know that eats wrapped candy unwraps it first.

If there is some child that is so stupid that he puts something wrapped in white paper into his mouth thinking it is edible, he probably deserves to have some teeth blown out.

Or - and here's a thought - maybe the parents should not let four-year-old children have fireworks.

On 6/24/2020 at 8:22 AM, Alpo said:

It appears that you can have a butane lighter in your carry-on, but not in your checked baggage, unless it is in an "approved container" (whatever the heck that might be).

Something like this.  Surprisingly, amazon doesn't seem to sell them.  The only reason I know about them is that when I go offshore the safety video talks about them and shows a picture.  There are some lighters that are built into a DOT approved case, and others like this designed to hold regular lighters.  The last one is kind of hard to believe.  Looks like a cheap plastic bottle to me. 

Colibri Tranzpack Lighter Case - DOT and TSA Approved | Lighter ...

Prometheus Blue Lighter Airplane Travel Case

Zippo Lighter Air Case Dot Approved for Travel Airport Fly Carry ...

On 6/24/2020 at 8:22 AM, Alpo said:

That is an interesting site. It says that I cannot bring BANG SNAPS, in either carry-on or checked baggage.

It doesn't say what a bang snap is, but it says I cannot have it on the airplane.

It appears that you can have a butane lighter in your carry-on, but not in your checked baggage, unless it is in an "approved container" (whatever the heck that might be). It also seems that you can have a working Zippo in your carry-on, but if it's in checked baggage it has to be dry.

I also finally found matches. You can have one book of safety matches in your carry-on. That sounds like gopher matches to me - a "book", as opposed to a "box". But no matches in your checked luggage. No strike anywhere matches period.

My wife and I both smoke, we always stick our lighters in the check bags, never had a problem. I didn't think you could carry them on, but they keep changing the rules, and I guess it depends too on what kinda mood the security check people are.

JHC

Archived