SASS Wire Forum

Real question, not a joke, about the LDS.

Alpo

All my life I would periodically see nice clean-cut young men wearing white shirts and neckties riding around on bicycles, missionarying.

Always men.

In this day and age of women's lib, do Mormon women missionary?

All Mormon men aged 19 to 26 are eligible to receive a mission call and concentrate two years of their life to what current LDS President Gordon Hinckley calls "this sacred service." Women over the age of 21 may also be called as missionaries, but they only serve 18 months

Nice kids, too. There used to be a couple of them that would stop by when I was out in the shop and we’d talk about wood working don’t remember much ministering going on.

I was born a Mormon but haven't been active for many years.  My "mission' was to SEA to fight Godless communism when my age bracket came up.  The missionaries and what we used to call "home teachers" come (came before COVID BS stopped them) still are welcome and some have become close friends.  

My sister's husband went on a mission to The Netherlands when he was 19 and since they married they have been on two other missions as a team.  

The "home teachers" still drop by just to check on me from time to time.

BTW, the Jehova's Witnesses are still welcome here too, and a jewish man and his family stop be on occasion.

Ages ago I did specialized software for newspapers when they were moving away from hot metal and into computerization. The Baton Rouge paper (State Times / Morning Advocate) was running a campaign with bIllboards and t-shirts saying “Get it at home”

one day I answered the door wearing said t-shirt, a missionary pair was at the door and left quickly.

The LDS church has always had a policy/tenet/philosophy of keeping on-hand a supply of food and other essentials in case of emergencies.   Neither my wife nor I are members of that faith, however, she has had a habit of keeping lots of stuff which seemed a bit much over the years.  For example, she kept a bunch of face masks from when she was caring for her late mother.   Had them stashed away somewhere in the house.  Other stuff as well.  Comes the virus, and we were able to make do until we could order some more!

P^5:  Prior planning prevents a p--s poor performance! :)

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I was born a Mormon but haven't been active for many years.  My "mission' was to SEA to fight Godless communism when my age bracket came up.  The missionaries and what we used to call "home teachers" come (came before COVID BS stopped them) still are welcome and some have become close friends.  

My sister's husband went on a mission to The Netherlands when he was 19 and since they married they have been on two other missions as a team.  

The "home teachers" still drop by just to check on me from time to time.

BTW, the Jehova's Witnesses are still welcome here too, and a jewish man and his family stop be on occasion.

If you like, I can send you a couple of Southern Baptists.

Well, I will most definitely counter Mr Brules and Mr Chato's opinions ~ which I personally find to be unduly harsh, but to which they are most definitely entitled.

I have worked with many members of the faith, both professionally and in volunteer positions with Scouts.  By and large, I find them to be honorable, hard working, devoted to faith, family, and country, generous, and, believe it or not, accepting.  More so than some...

If the "bicycle boys" happen to stop by, if you're not interested merely advise them of such and they'll be on their way.  However, the few times I've been visited (usually when I'm outside working on projects), I would let them know I'm "otherwise committed," then we'd have delightful conversations about any manner of things including hunting, fishing, Scouts, life experiences, and, usually surprising to them, mutual acquaintances.  

The religious views and practices may differ from others faiths, but hey - views and practices considered different by some are certainly no limited to LDS.

By the way - I survived seventeen years married to a Catholic.  Oh... and I have family who are LDS... Catholic... Methodist... Lutheran...  I'm the sole Baptist.  

Oh - and as a response to the original question, Helen Brimstone's granddaughter recently returned from serving her mission in Brazil.  Helen's family is mostly Catholic; her granddaughter converted while in high school.  Her choice, and she's happy.

My Dad's baby brother and his family are LDS.  We used to debate who was the greater heretic, him or me, since we raised our daughter Catholic (we thought we were just sending her to school).  I know there are some weird facets to LDS but I love my family - who are the last to bear the family name.  They are family-oriented, secure in their faith, and just plain good people.

I find learning about others' religion pretty entertaining. I respect the fact they(whomever they are) think they're right. It doesn't mean I think they'll go to heaven just like maybe they think I won't. There are a lot of similarities with quite a few religions and myths. Take the flood for instance. There are a whole slew of flood stories around. 

Years ago, my little brother was dating a Morman girl.  She was very cute and from a good family.  She made him give up iced tea, skoal, and beer.  The relationship lasted about 2 months before he decided it wasn't worth it.  Us Methodists are kind of stuck in our evil ways.

Years ago I had a job with a Mormon and a practicing Wiccan.  They would debate religion and theology in the server room for hours.  Neither would ever get upset or mad at the other.  I got to be a part of some very interesting discussions, and I wish it was more common to see people with such opposing view being able to talk without conflict. 

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Then why are you?

Reminds me of those men, typically strangers, that show up at your house, could be troublesome neighbors or contractors looking for work....

anyhow they’ll say something like “ I know I shouldn’t cuss in front of women”....then they do anyway and I walk off and leave them

hanging... 

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Years ago, my little brother was dating a Morman girl.  She was very cute and from a good family.  She made him give up iced tea, skoal, and beer.  The relationship lasted about 2 months before he decided it wasn't worth it.  Us Methodists are kind of stuck in our evil ways.

It’s irrelevant to this conversation that she is cute, unless you have pictures.

We don't see too many of the kids on bicycles around here. An older guy showed up a few years ago, and he could only be described as a "recruiter" for the Mormons.:( He got really upset that I didn't agree with him that "global warming" was destroying the world. He left and we haven't seen any of them since.:P

I am nice to all that knock on my door and I treat them with respect as I send them away. Unless they are obnoxious UPS drivers or cable tv salesmen. Those boys get a bit different treatment. 

I did have two LDS young men drop in on me as I was reloading ammo years ago. We talked a while and one young man asked if he could come back and do some reloading to help me out. Nice kid. He would come by on occasion then one day he informed me his mission was up and he was leaving to go to Virginia. 

American flags keep Jehovah’s Witnesses away. Just a useful tidbit of information. But if they knock I am nice to them too. 

I do believe my experience as a kid selling seeds and greeting cards door to door taught me to have a little compassion for those that seek to earn a living or get into heaven by knocking on stranger’s doors. 

I rarely answer the door unarmed just in case the knock is by someone that one should be armed for when opening the door. No one ever knows I am armed though...unless they need to know. 

I had a couple of Jahovah's witnesses come over and knock the other day. They asked if I minded them coming in and talking for a spell. I said sure and had them set on the couch while the bunkhouse boss brought us all some sweet tea. Once we'd all had a swaller, I asked them what they wanted to talk about. They looked at each other, and then back at me and one of em said "we don't know sir, we've never been this far before."

:DI know, but I just couldn't help it

Jehovah's witnesses came to my door when I was out working in the raised bed with a spading fork.  They tried their best to take over for me but I told them some woman (Mama?) had worked too hard on their clothes to get them all dirty in my garden.

Dedicated and determined is another word to describe them. My first district I worked had the highest murder rate in the city. It was 100% of one race. Some really bad people lived there. One day I received a call about 2 of them in my area. I went after them as fast as I could find them. As soon as I did I pretty much begged these 2 white kids to leave the area for fear for their lives. They didn't listen. A few hours later we removed them in body bags. I even tried to give them a ride out of there. Always kinda broke my heart. I have family in Salt Lake that are Mormon and are very kind and family oriented.

I have been getting an education in Islam these past couple of years - no, they weren’t going door to door. :)

I have a guy that works in my shop that is a Muslim and occasionally we talk about his culture and religion. He is originally from Lebanon, but you’d never know it to talk with him. He has no accent. Fascinating stuff. I wish I had met him years ago. It’s amazing what you can learn by just talking with people. I was ignorant of their religion and painted them all (Muslims) with a very broad brush. 

The US Navy has a rule that you are not supposed to talk about religion or politics while gathered in the wardroom of a ship.  The discussions can cause dissention within the group with the attendant loss of cohesion/brotherhood.  Not to mention the fact that the arguments are mostly unsolvable.  I have tried to apply this guidance to the larger portion of the rest of my life.  It works.

9 minutes ago, Wyoma said:

The US Navy has a rule that you are not supposed to talk about religion or politics while gathered in the wardroom of a ship.  The discussions can cause dissention within the group with the attendant loss of cohesion/brotherhood.  Not to mention the fact that the arguments are mostly unsolvable.  I have tried to apply this guidance to the larger portion of the rest of my life.  It works.

Worst fight I ever saw aboard ship was over religion. The Catholics against the Protestants and the “Heathens”. :lol:

It all started over a comment made about a statue in a church seen in Naples, Italy. 
I got involved just to get my licks in on the guy that started the whole fracas. I didn’t much care for him. ;)

Anyway, I have pretty much lived that by that same Navy rule my whole life. No political or religious discussion in a group setting. 

You could end up with EMI. :lol:

One of the few times I talked to the missionaries it was a boy/girl team.  Before anyone asks, I'm pretty sure the girl wasn't the reason I let them in.  I don't even recall if she was pretty.  Honestly, she probably wasn't because back then I was scared of pretty girls.  I just happened to be in the mood and didn't have anything else going on.  I think I had seen an expose on mormons recently and I was disappointed that the kids didn't know anything about really weird stuff.  But according to the expose, they don't learn any of it till they get back from the mission trip.  Convenient. 

Just remember there are many LDS members of SASS, of which more than a few are the top of the crop! While I’m not Mormon, a bunch of my friends in SASS are, and probably more of y’all’s  friends than you expect. 
a couple of you could use a refresher on the .... Cowboy way! 

Practice what you preach folks!

17 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

We don't see too many of the kids on bicycles around here. An older guy showed up a few years ago, and he could only be described as a "recruiter" for the Mormons.:( He got really upset that I didn't agree with him that "global warming" was destroying the world. He left and we haven't seen any of them since.:P

Doesn't sound right to me.  The Mormons as a rule do NOT contend with other religions and beliefs.  Might be a few exceptions but it isn't sanctioned by the church.

Archived