SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron American

I called Cimarron today to ask about the reproduction of the Smith and Wesson American revolver that is in their catalog.   They said it would be available late this year, or early next year.

I plan to get one; it'll round out my US Military sidearm collection.   I just have to decide on caliber.  For good or for ill .44 American is not one of the available calibers.   But .44 Russian is.  So are .44 Special, .44-40 and .45 Colt.   I suppose the Russian would be "closest" to the original, but I am not set up to reload that caliber.   I am leaning to .44 Special, which I can always run Russians in if I ever get another gun in that cartridge.   But I can make a personal case for the other two calibers as well.   

Oh well, I have a few months to ponder it.  I'm sure I'll figure it out by Christmas.

The Schofield is available in 44-40, but the American is only planning on for 44 Spcl and 45 Colt, for now, anyway.  Cimarron just put out a video with Mike Harvey talking about the American.  He mentioned some samples from Uberti being all wrong and them having to start over.  I had not been aware of that but it explains some of the delays.  If you do want one in 44 Spcl, I'm going to suggest putting one on backorder (no obligation), because they have a large number of .45 on order but not nearly as many .44's.  (I haven't worked for them for a few years, but I stay in touch).

I already have a Schofield.   That's a .45, which would be a good reason to get an American in that caliber.

On the other hand, if I get it in .44 Special, which I want to have more revolvers in anyway, I could theoretically pair it with a Russian model that I may get someday.

Decisions, decisions...

7 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

The Schofield is available in 44-40, but the American is only planning on for 44 Spcl and 45 Colt, for now, anyway.  Cimarron just put out a video with Mike Harvey talking about the American.  He mentioned some samples from Uberti being all wrong and them having to start over.  I had not been aware of that but it explains some of the delays.  If you do want one in 44 Spcl, I'm going to suggest putting one on backorder (no obligation), because they have a large number of .45 on order but not nearly as many .44's.  (I haven't worked for them for a few years, but I stay in touch).

Mike Harvey using all those superlatives sounds kind of like the POTUS.;)

I shoot .44 Colt, and .44 Russian, in my repro. open-top, and my type II Richards.  They are both chambered for .44 special.  So...when they become available, I will get the Cimarron American in .44 special, and simply shoot my .44 Colt, and/or .44 Russian in it.  I love the .44 Russian, but I want the flexibility to shoot the .44 Colt also.

Side by side, the .44 special, and .44 Colt are not the same, but are pretty close, dimension wise, so I don't plan on shooting the .44 special, unless I have no choice.

But, to each his own. 

My Cimarron model 1866 SRC is in .44 special, and I do shoot .44 specials in that one, and not the .44 Colt.  I would imagine the .44 Colt could be closer to the original ballistics of the .44 Henry Flat, that the original model 1866's shot.  But that ammunition is obsolete, so if we want to be as authentic as possible, we have to do the best we can, with what is available.   

My Two Bits.

W.K.

1 hour ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I shoot .44 Colt, and .44 Russian, in my repro. open-top, and my type II Richards.  They are both chambered for .44 special.  So...when they become available, I will get the Cimarron American in .44 special, and simply shoot my .44 Colt, and/or .44 Russian in it.  I love the .44 Russian, but I want the flexibility to shoot the .44 Colt also.

I'm curious about that.

.44 Russian/Special uses a .429" bullet, and .44 Colt is a .454" bullet.   How can you safely use the Colts in a gun chambered for .44 Special?

Modern 44 Colt is that in name only. The originals used a heeled bullet to shoot on the bores of the 44 caliber cap and ball revolvers. The modern version is a slightly shortened 44 special with a bit smaller rim.

Modern 44 Colt was invented for the ASM .44 Colt conversions.  They had a .429 bore, but the cylinder size was the same as originals (smaller than Uberti) and so Russian and Special rims would not fit, so the rims of the Colt are smaller like originals.   Starline had an agreement with Black Hills Ammo, and for the first two years the only way to get .44 Colt brass was to buy BHA ammo (or you could trim .44 Spcl and turn down the rim) , and then Starline sold it to the public

Interesting gun but I expect that by lengthening the cylinder as they did with the Schofield and Russian to fit .45 lc, they will have issues shooting real BP.  Too bad they felt the need to “improve” them.  .44 Russian or Schofield would have Kept the dimensions the same as the originals and allowed you to shoot BP without jamming the cylinders.  

Archived